Flight Attendant Classes in 2006

Perhaps they are a bit raw by the folks at East doing the "DOH" reminder at every given chance.
With all due respect to the US Airways "West f/a group", Is it not true that you (former HP)belong and have belonged to AFA the same as all of the other airline f/a groups that are members. When this merger was announced, why was this issue (DOH) even questioned, which in turn has caused tension between the two groups (East and West)!The DOH has been in effect for years and will continue to be in effect. Dont be mad or upset at the East F/a group for having more seniority, its not their fault, really. If anyone is to blame, if that be the case, for it being brought up, it is the West group (AFA). Lets just get along, good golly!

"For a while?!" I damn near choked when I read that. I can't put into words how incredible that phrase is.
Again, I don't understand why the West AFA MEC seems to be thrilled at pointing this out, it seems they take some sort of perverse pleasure at the East furloughees being screwed.

Yea, well they are telling it like it is..no delusions of grandeur. This was NO opportunity for the furloughees.

The MEC East should be ashamed of even presenting that the furloughees have to pay for their hotel rooms for 7 weeks while in traning plus transportation to and from.

Outrageous! And as any one can empathize, the furlughees by majority felt the same. Taking a job on the West was NO opportunity. HP will be hiring off the street.

You are correct that it was negotiated by both sides, but you have to admit it sucks for the invols! The MAA folks have been there done that once already. I agree with the 7 weeks training as it is an FAA issue do to different certif. However, an exception should be made about hotel accomodations as these folks were screwed twice already from the same company they keep coming back to. Furloughed once from mainline and now from MAA. The pay seems to keep getting worse for them.
You East guys need to get used to not being paid for these kinds of things. It is the way of the company. The "good old days" of throwing money all over the place are long gone.If you think these invols are "getting screwed" by not getting hotels, pay and meal vouchers for training, you have a huge reality check headed your way in this merger. For your own good, I suggest you become very familiar with the term "LEAN"

You East guys need to get used to not being paid for these kinds of things. It is the way of the company. The "good old days" of throwing money all over the place are long gone.If you think these invols are "getting screwed" by not getting hotels, pay and meal vouchers for training, you have a huge reality check headed your way in this merger. For your own good, I suggest you become very familiar with the term "LEAN"
I completely understand what you are saying here but in the so called "good old days" for HP the "center of the universe" or "focus of operation" was PHX, there are now several bases and that may have to be a reality as well. Maybe we should all be meeting in the middle instead of everyone continually bringing up what each "group" used to do. Maybe in the future hotels will not be provided for new-hires, maybe they will, who knows, I think the point is that for those furloughed folks being offered an opportunity in PHX, maybe housing could've been included, even if double occupancy. And yes Hula I agree, I think we will have to get used to the term "LEAN".

Why should housing be given to the furloughs when new hires at HP have never been given housing. What is fair is fair plain and simple. If you are going to work for US-west they do not provide housing or meals during training. Just because you are a furlough does not mean you deserve special treatment. To me that sounds the same as HP flight attendants b1tching about DOH seniority, when in reality that is what is FAIR! Win some and lose some that is what life is all about.

I completely understand what you are saying here but in the so called "good old days" for HP the "center of the universe" or "focus of operation" was PHX, there are now several bases and that may have to be a reality as well. Maybe we should all be meeting in the middle instead of everyone continually bringing up what each "group" used to do. Maybe in the future hotels will not be provided for new-hires, maybe they will, who knows, I think the point is that for those furloughed folks being offered an opportunity in PHX, maybe housing could've been included, even if double occupancy. And yes Hula I agree, I think we will have to get used to the term "LEAN".

Ahhh...the "good old days"...no more passing (I'll miss that the most!!! :D ) I've said it before, and I'll say it again: We ALL need to get off this EAST/WEST tangent. Yes, the new US Airways will be lean, and hopefully it will be lean across the board and all the way up it too! All this bickering about DOH, no hotels for invols, a fence around PHX, it should end soon. We need to focus on whatever positive we can find (i.e. the companies are still operating, HP starting hiring off the street, US furloughees getting a job opportunity, albeit not the best, but we'll still have seniority without having to start all over again with another airline). US is now the 5th largest airline, something NEITHER group had before, so that's something positive. All the crap will work out in the end. So quit pouring salt in wounds, quit complaining over things out of our control, and thank whatever higer power (God) you believe in that you still have a job (or about to come back to one), still getting a paycheck (however large or small), cause if you really think hard about it, it could be A LOT worse.

P.S. I flew an HP flight this weekend, and introduced myself to them. I told them I was an invol taking the opportunity to come to HP. They were very nice, friendly, and gave me a positive impression of the HP f/a group. Hopefully all the "Debbie Downers" and "Negative Nancy's" on this message board will change their attitudes, cause you're only making yourself more miserable.

Hopefully all the "Debbie Downers" and "Negative Nancy's" on this message board will change their attitudes, cause you're only making yourself more miserable.

debbiedowner.jpg

Exactly! Say No to Debbie Downers...nothing good is never good enough. lol

Ahhh...the "good old days"...no more passing (I'll miss that the most!!! :D ) I've said it before, and I'll say it again: We ALL need to get off this EAST/WEST tangent. Yes, the new US Airways will be lean, and hopefully it will be lean across the board and all the way up it too! All this bickering about DOH, no hotels for invols, a fence around PHX, it should end soon. We need to focus on whatever positive we can find (i.e. the companies are still operating, HP starting hiring off the street, US furloughees getting a job opportunity, albeit not the best, but we'll still have seniority without having to start all over again with another airline). US is now the 5th largest airline, something NEITHER group had before, so that's something positive. All the crap will work out in the end. So quit pouring salt in wounds, quit complaining over things out of our control, and thank whatever higer power (God) you believe in that you still have a job (or about to come back to one), still getting a paycheck (however large or small), cause if you really think hard about it, it could be A LOT worse.

P.S. I flew an HP flight this weekend, and introduced myself to them. I told them I was an invol taking the opportunity to come to HP. They were very nice, friendly, and gave me a positive impression of the HP f/a group. Hopefully all the "Debbie Downers" and "Negative Nancy's" on this message board will change their attitudes, cause you're only making yourself more miserable.

Well said!!!

Hula,

THe reality check is on managment. They have no choice but to hire off the street and impoverish a new set of employees. Turnover will be huge, and your job is never secure. This management had NO PROBLEMO throwing cash raises to the senior Execs and those who took on jobs in middle manamgment.

Just the rank and file they have no respect for. And I can see by your previous post, you don't either.

Hopefully, folks will wise up and leave this dump. Greener pasturers are ahead for those who risk leaving the airline industry. The airline folks are about the only folks I know that don't have a clue of their worth. THey have been put down for so long by management and folks like yourself that they dare not venture out!

Took a job last week making double what I made at U.

Life is good! B)

BTW, I don't know what turnip truck you fell off, but when the Company makes money...the rank still does not.

5th in the industry doesn't mean jack squat. I hope the employees never forget and attempt every opportunity to gain what million and millions and millions they lost through this process of BK, and BK, and the merger.

Still have a job???? You've got to be in "ignorance land".

This type of employee treatement is UNACCEPTABLE. Folks need to push for CHANGE! DOH and longevity doesn't mean poop if your wages are so low you can't pay for medical coverage and basic food and housing.

AWA has one of the lowest starting wages for a legacy carrier of any.

EPIPHANY... THE LOWER THE WAGE, THE MORE IT HURTS THE ENTIRE PROFESSION. You who are on the property will see no increases in wage as long as folks take the job at substandard wages. When the bar is low, there is no negotiations for increases As you gain seniority, the company will look to make the job more and more unattractive to those who stay on and gain seniority.

Why should housing be given to the furloughs when new hires at HP have never been given housing. What is fair is fair plain and simple. If you are going to work for US-west they do not provide housing or meals during training. Just because you are a furlough does not mean you deserve special treatment. To me that sounds the same as HP flight attendants b1tching about DOH seniority, when in reality that is what is FAIR! Win some and lose some that is what life is all about.

WHy should they be given housing you ask??? BECAUSE ALL HIREES SHOULD BE GIVEN HOTEL ROOMS AND TRANSPORATION TO AND FROM THE TRAINING CITE, specifically when they are given substandard wages!!! Seven weeks in a hotel room... I don't think a new hired exec would want to pay for that while looking for housing. Pathetic.

If you numbskulls didn't get it paid when you got hired, then you were being represented pretty damn poorly and a company that is too focused on giving execs big payouts on your backs.

Bob,

On average a furloughee will make approx. $18.08 per hour after training. If they can break their guarantee on LTO and go to 80 hours per month, they will get approx. $17,280 for the YEAR gross pay...not including medical, union dues, LTD and tax deductions. They will go in training shelling out approx $7,000 in expenses over 7 weeks.

INSANITY!

Union Heads should be shot to let the company get away with this crap! :angry:

Out of 1674 letters that went out to the East furloughees, the company STILL had to hire at least 20 off the street.

This was no opportunity and the union leaders should have written out to the furloughees that the job was not an opportunity inless you were married to the CEO.

INSANITY!

Union Heads should be shot to let the company get away with this crap! :angry:

The MAA f/a group should immediately call the SSO and tell them to stop taking out their union dues....IMMEDIATELY.
Why should they continue, rather ever paid a union due, is beyond me. They have had no representation whatsoever! I challenge all of the MAA F/A's to call SSO ASAP to stop automatic deduction of dues and dare the AFA at MAA to even say a word.............perhaps even request a refund..........

Still have a job???? You've got to be in "ignorance land".

This type of employee treatement is UNACCEPTABLE. Folks need to push for CHANGE! DOH and longevity doesn't mean poop if your wages are so low you can't pay for medical coverage and basic food and housing.

AWA has one of the lowest starting wages for a legacy carrier of any.

EPIPHANY... THE LOWER THE WAGE, THE MORE IT HURTS THE ENTIRE PROFESSION. You who are on the property will see no increases in wage as long as folks take the job at substandard wages. When the bar is low, there is no negotiations for increases As you gain seniority, the company will look to make the job more and more unattractive to those who stay on and gain seniority.

PitBull,

Since when has HP been a legacy carrier??? They're not even 25 years old yet.

I am not in ignorance land, but NO ONE seems to be able to grasp the fact that our entire industry has undergone a radical change. If you can't accept that, then find something else to do! Everyone wants to hold on to whatever they can, instead of getting it through your thick heads that it's all different now.

I never knew what A-scale felt like, making $36 per flight hour. I started at $20, furloughed at $23.59, back at MAA at $17.67, and now to HP at about $19.18. This is MY decision, and being called ignorant for something I love doing isn't right. Because I love this job, I don't care about the money. This job will never make me a millionaire, and if I can just stay on and not get furloughed, then I will be able to have a comfortable living. Nothing is worth having without a little struggle, so I don't care if this job isn't handed to me on a silver platter. So if you don't mind, unless you have a solution, don't continue to be apart of the problem.

Will you next suggest I not join the union or pay union dues for the unjust work conditions I am returning to? Give it at rest!

Latest posts