Flight training for non-US citizens in the US

Aug 23, 2007
I'm a 25 yo Indian national currently on a H1B visa and working in NJ. I previously held a F1 student visa and graduated with a masters in electrical engineering. I've always wanted to be a pilot ever since I was a kid. Thanks to the concerns of my family, I landed up being an engineer:( So, now, I'm looking forward to taking flight lessons.

Do any of you know what the regulations are for non-US citizens to take flight lessons in the US? Do I need to apply for a J1 or M visa? Or can I take part time flight lessons on my current H1B visa itself with the approval of AFSP (Alien FLight Student Program)? I can only take part time lessons. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Also, what are the best flying schools in NJ? Any ideas?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

I'm a 25 yo Indian national currently on a H1B visa and working in NJ. I previously held a F1 student visa and graduated with a masters in electrical engineering. I've always wanted to be a pilot ever since I was a kid. Thanks to the concerns of my family, I landed up being an engineer:( So, now, I'm looking forward to taking flight lessons.

Do any of you know what the regulations are for non-US citizens to take flight lessons in the US? Do I need to apply for a J1 or M visa? Or can I take part time flight lessons on my current H1B visa itself with the approval of AFSP (Alien FLight Student Program)? I can only take part time lessons. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Also, what are the best flying schools in NJ? Any ideas?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Try calling your local FSDO. Link is here.

Back