Long Beach flight schools - Recommendations/Opinions/Scuttlebut?

Aug 11, 2008
Hi all,

I'm glad to have found this forum. I've been considering taking flight lessons for a while now - primarily because (in the far distant future, I'm sure) I'd love to be able to take weekend trips with my husband & dog to places we ordinarily couldn't conveniently fly to or that would take a little too long to drive to. I like *the idea* of being able to have the freedom to fly myself - especially if it means being able to take the dog. Of course, this is in the distant future, if ever - I need to determine if I'm going to ultimately be too terrified to even get to the point of a consistent lesson plan! :unsure:

I live about 3 miles from the Long Beach airport (and I LOVE that airport too).

I'm specifically looking at Rainbow Air, California Flight Center, Aero Aviation, Eagle Aviation, Long Beach Flying Club & Flight Academy. I've browsed the schools' websites - some are far more comprehensive than others - but I have yet to come across any tye of reviews/opinions/testimonials (aside from what each school has posted on its respective sites). Does anyone here have any experience with them? Happen to know any instructors there? Anecdotes?

Please let me know your thoughts - thank you in advance for weighing in!

Hi all,

I'm glad to have found this forum. I've been considering taking flight lessons for a while now - primarily because (in the far distant future, I'm sure) I'd love to be able to take weekend trips with my husband & dog to places we ordinarily couldn't conveniently fly to or that would take a little too long to drive to. I like *the idea* of being able to have the freedom to fly myself - especially if it means being able to take the dog. Of course, this is in the distant future, if ever - I need to determine if I'm going to ultimately be too terrified to even get to the point of a consistent lesson plan! :unsure:

I live about 3 miles from the Long Beach airport (and I LOVE that airport too).

I'm specifically looking at Rainbow Air, California Flight Center, Aero Aviation, Eagle Aviation, Long Beach Flying Club & Flight Academy. I've browsed the schools' websites - some are far more comprehensive than others - but I have yet to come across any tye of reviews/opinions/testimonials (aside from what each school has posted on its respective sites). Does anyone here have any experience with them? Happen to know any instructors there? Anecdotes?

Please let me know your thoughts - thank you in advance for weighing in!

Try http://www.airnav.com they have some reviews of previous customers of just about any flight service at any public use airport in the United States. Me, the only flight schools I know are two in Santa Monica, and one in Florida. I've never used any services at LGB, but it is going to be a possibility, as I'm planning on relocating back to Long Beach (I'm originally from Culver City).

EDIT: Also, if you're planning on going professionally into aviation, check out Embry-Riddle's extended campus in Long Beach. It's across the hallway from the local FAA FSDO. And the tuition rates aren't that bad either (under $300 a credit/hour). As soon as I relocate, I'll resume my degree program there (I'm currently doing it in Fort Lauderdale). You don't have the ERAU fleet, nor do you have the sims, but ask a few airline pilots, and they'll tell you, where you did your training isn't so much as important as who you did it with. And let me tell you. Going to the extended campus and doing your flight training privately will save you a lot of money (you won't have to pay back a house worth of student loans, literally. I know some guys who fly for regional airlines who have over $150,000 of student loan debt. I only have about $2,000, from my old school, before transferring to ERAU, and I'm paying the remainder out of pocket, which is a lot more affordable than people think).

Blue skies and tailwinds to you, good buddy!

I would reccommend Eagle Aviation as they are well equipped airplanes and instructors who are trained in the lates technology. Their training program is well organised and prepares u well ahead for the exams. If you need more information on understanding about Aviation and flights you can visit Private Pilots Secrets

Thank you both for your replies.

It's good to hear another viewpoint on one of the flight schools.

I guess I should clarify that I'm looking into my PPL purely for recreational, hobby reasons - not to fly professionally. And I've already determined my start date is not going to be soon - it sounds like learning to fly is a major time committment, and I'm currently working full time and going to law school at night - which leaves maybe one day every couple weeks for something fun - and that's reserved for my poor husband!

Thank you again for your comments.

I resumed ground school last night, and our instructor told us that those who are having difficulty of getting flying into your life, he said this: put a wedge in your life, put aviation in your life, small, and let it grow. And that was my problem! Four years wasted...and I could have been flying! But that is going to change!

Fly once a month, an hour a month. And keep doing that until you get more time in your schedule to fly more. Sure, it's only 12 hours in a year if you don't progress, but that's the idea: progress. This will make you progress, and provide an incentive to fly. That is the secret!

Blue Skies and Tailwinds to all in flight training!