For the executives of AMR

Duke787

Veteran
Feb 6, 2008
ord
"If AMR does the merger during bankruptcy, it means a monumentally smaller payout to executives," he said.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=585&articleid=20120520_46_E1_CUTLIN801626

You need to change the culture of AA if you want labors support. I think I speak for everyone when I say that we know the work rules need to change for the long term viability of AA, but your contempt for labor and over reaching concessions are not the way to do it.

Your hubris is unwarranted after so many failures in the recent history.

Dear Mr. Horton, The Board of Directors and to Whomever Else it May Concern,

I have been an AMT at AA for 24+ yrs. But this is not who I am. I am a child of God, a devoted husband, a father of 2 children, and a grandfather to 1. AA comes after all of these. However, if I am to be successful in these areas of my life, then I will rank AA right up there after these.
  I remember as a kid, growing up in Tulsa, when I heard one of my friends say that his dad worked at AA, it was a WOW moment; regardless of what he did. It is no longer that way. Why is that? I believe you can sum it up with one word: Accountability.
  When I first started my career in a "sweat shop", if you didn't get the job done right and in a timely manner there were consequences to pay. I was held accountable. At what point did that cease to exist at AA? It goes both ways. I see/hear of management getting rewarded year after year in spite of dismal performance by the Company. At the same time, I watch in disbelief as my coworkers do just enough to get by (or less) with nothing even being said; much less something done about it.
  I want AA to succeed; to become that company that kids brag about their parents working for (as opposed to pity). In order for that to happen YOU are going to have to run this company. Does it have to be a sweat shop? No, but there has to be accountability and  I believe there are thousands of employees that feel the same way I do. If you will run this company right; having accountability in all areas and pay me the wages and benefits that a once proud airline worker is valued for, I will give you my best effort to give you quality work in a timely manner.
  If you want American Airlines to become, once again, the industry leading airline, then prove it. We can do this together. You run the company and I'll do my best as an employee.

Sincerely, Concerned Employee

Reactions: 6 people
My guess is Mr Horton will not have a job after any merger. Not that he will be hurting mind you, but he will be shown the door, the only question is does he go peaceably.

Reactions: 1 person
Nice letter.

Unfortunately, even if Horton reads it, what makes you think he's willing to "partner up" with we "scum of the earth" workers? We simply aren't high up enough on the food chain to be of value to the executive sort.

Over the years, AMR management has made it very plain how they feel about us and also made it plain they'd prefer to partner with our obvious enemy the twu, allowing the "union" to determine staffing levels and perform other company functions in order to assure the union's income and lifestyle.

Those who are thinking for themselves will not be trusting the company or their representation WE PAY FOR (the twu) for quite some time, if ever again, and rightfully so.

Excellent letter and yes there are thousands of us that feel the same way. Unfortunately somewhere along the way it became cool to be lazy and after 2005 or so it bacame the accepted norm by the TWU and management.
Just another reason that the TWU and its untouchable leadership is the first step if this company is going to survive.

I do not know where the idea that employees at American Airlines are lazy. There are lazy people everywhere. One thing that can break this lazy cycle is to have a cause to work toward. At the TUL base, when the management team gives no reason for the employees to want succeed and the union does not care about anything but the number of dues payers, with total disregard for quality,it is more than lazy. Employees become disillusioned from a lack of any leadership.

Not sure I would give what I'm capable,.... back to this company (Carty/Arpey/Horton) unless they give back to me what they took in 2003 and pocketed. The only way I would trust or invest any more of my talents with this company in my full capabilities would be with a clean slate of new leadership i.e. merger with US Air. There is complete and utter condemnation of us and labor in general, it is quite evident , they have absolutely no respect for front line workers,....this has been proven over and over again. The OP is correct that there is no accountability,....I have seen it from the top down to the floor supervisor.

Buck I directed my statement to both the lazy workers and the company/union that allows it. But sinceyou brought it up:
Maybe our definition of lazy is different. I know guys, and so do you, that will do absolutely nothing while everyone around them pulls their weight and then brag and laugh at how little they do. Blame it on any supervisor, manager or ceo you want to but it is a character flaw when you expect your co-workers to do your job. These losers, as well as the company that refuses to fire them and the union that defends them are as much a problem as any ceo. As a matter of fact that is the only thing this union has been good at lately.

Yes they are everywhere but I can tell you from experience, they don't last long at a non-union company.

You want something to work for? How about a base salary of $65,000 a year? How about at least earning that?

I guess you are of the belief that had we received "restore and more" that these lazy asses would have flipped a switch and become professionals all of a sudden? I don't think so. For some of these guys it has never been enough. They are worth so much more yet refuse to prove it by moving on and earning what they are worth.
I'm as pissed as anyone at what is being done to AA by the executives but is a loser that shows up for work and does nothing any better than that?

If you read enough already's letter above, he is simply asking for accountability from management and the workers. Sounds like a good business plan to me.

I agree. I am not of the restore and more crowd. I have been around long enough to know the difference between those who will give a good day and those that never will, no matter what changes.

What I am referring to is the mechanics that give a good days work but are becoming disillusioned with everything going on, when change to operations seem so obvious yet leadership does nothing. I constantly hear from management "that is out of my span of control" and nothing from the TWU leadership because they are only reactionary and have little ability to force change even under the cosponsored working together programs.

Are you guys for real?,.....been considered a hitter most my if not all my career by my peers,...never worried about those who didn't carry there own weight,.....it wasn't and isn't my business what they can and will get away with. I don't and shouldn't police my coworkers productivity, Thats managements or the unions deal......But what is happening is even the hitters are getting the message that the company doesn't give a rats ass about you. That you make no difference in the scheme of things. Im seeing more and more mechanics who use to be hitters on the floor slowly turn the tide by doing what is just necessary to call it a days work. Its not a happy place with the constant beat down by management trying to get us to do more for less. As was said and now fully felt we are their brick in the backpack,...so how does that effect productivity?....pretty easy answer.

Are you guys for real?,.....been considered a hitter most my if not all my career by my peers,...never worried about those who didn't carry there own weight,.....it wasn't and isn't my business what they can and will get away with. I don't and shouldn't police my coworkers productivity, Thats managements or the unions deal......But what is happening is even the hitters are getting the message that the company doesn't give a rats ass about you. That you make no difference in the scheme of things. Im seeing more and more mechanics who use to be hitters on the floor slowly turn the tide by doing what is just necessary to call it a days work. Its not a happy place with the constant beat down by management trying to get us to do more for less. As was said and now fully felt we are their brick in the backpack,...so how does that effect productivity?....pretty easy answer.

And this is what we must work towards reversing or it is evidnet that heavy overhaul maintenance will be nothing but a memory.

The time is now to obtain Union Representation that will promote the professional conduct, attitude, and existince of AMT's that take pride in themselves and the profession. The Union Representation that instead promotes headcount in exchange for concessions, advancement of relatives and good ol'e boys, along with slogans, t-shirts, and political yard signs as the way to protect your future must be extinguished and removed.

We cannot sit back and allow those that fail to hold true the conduct necessary to keep a great profession in place, to win over those that understand what it really means to be a proud group.

There is a potential to reverse the TWU trend of destruction, but each of you must be willing to put forth effort and help us help ourselves.

I signed a yellow AMFA Card!

Yep, I understand the beat down feeling and I fight that myself some days. I don't mean to sound negative towards guys that have had the wind taken out of their sails over the years.. Even in all of this the guys that are workers are still workers and the rest are what they have always been.
I didn't intend to turn this into a rant about lazy workers. Just wanted to make a point about the whole culture at AA needing a change. I believe this has to include a change of representation. We can't change management but we can change who represents us.
I don't think its too much to ask to be represented by people who can negotiate with the company and have them see us as an asset and not a liability. Again. We can blame who we want to for our productivity or lack of it but if the company sees us as bricks we might ought to at least look in the mirror and see if there is any truth to it.

I didn't intend to turn this into a rant about lazy workers. Just wanted to make a point about the whole culture at AA needing a change.

I did not see it that way, I was just pointing out that with no leadership and a ill conceived business plan at the aircraft dock level the disillusionment is rampant.

Latest posts