Frontier's plans to handle Southwest in Denver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wnbubbleboy

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
By God Indiana
Here's a pretty good article about Frontier and how they are planning to handle WN in Denver.

The other trump card is service. Frontier offers roomier seats and 24 channels of pay-for-view TV on seat-back screens in all of its aircraft. "Southwest is going to have a hard time penetrating the Denver market," says Glenn D. Engel, an analyst with Goldman Sachs. "This won't be as bad for Frontier as the market expect

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflas..._3533_db016.htm

Here's a pretty good article about Frontier and how they are planning to handle WN in Denver.
The other trump card is service. Frontier offers roomier seats and 24 channels of pay-for-view TV on seat-back screens in all of its aircraft. "Southwest is going to have a hard time penetrating the Denver market," says Glenn D. Engel, an analyst with Goldman Sachs. "This won't be as bad for Frontier as the market expect

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflas..._3533_db016.htm
yeah ok could have fooled me with all the full planes from las to den

By definition, the "Southwest Effect" grows the market for everyone, by lowering fares.

IMHO, the answer to your question is "both".

Yes, we get more and more passengers at much lower fares, so industry pay and benefits go down with the added bonus of getting to deal with a lower class of passenger (like the two diff folks just out of rehab on the last "Airline" I watched). Pardon me will I get all giddy... <_< :rolleyes:

Yes, we get more and more passengers at much lower fares, so industry pay and benefits go down with the added bonus of getting to deal with a lower class of passenger (like the two diff folks just out of rehab on the last "Airline" I watched). Pardon me will I get all giddy... <_< :rolleyes:

Better the passengers than the pilots.

Bussie....don't look now, but several of your former coworkers point out with pride that a ticket on UAL costs less than a ticket on SWA....Are they looking to begin the "UAL effect"?

Luv the mention of "airline"...SWA carried over 75 million people last year, and you base the "class of passenger" on a couple shown in a half hour TV show. Should we judge the quality of UAL first class passengers by the gentleman who sh*t on a serving cart a few years back?

Should we judge the quality of UAL first class passengers by the gentleman who sh*t on a serving cart a few years back?

KC,

The big difference between Gerald Finneran, aka the Mad Crapper and the average SWA pax is that UAL banned him from flying UAL and sent him to court. At SWA they put that behavior on the tele so all can see how to be a star. With people of little or no talent lining up to sing on American Idol and spend three weeks on an island to win a million bucks you will have your share of people that will act stupid for a tv crew. So while UAL chooses to punish poor behavior SWA makes it the lead segment on a "reality" program.

KC,

The big difference between Gerald Finneran, aka the Mad Crapper and the average SWA pax is that UAL banned him from flying UAL and sent him to court. At SWA they put that behavior on the tele so all can see how to be a star. With people of little or no talent lining up to sing on American Idol and spend three weeks on an island to win a million bucks you will have your share of people that will act stupid for a tv crew. So while UAL chooses to punish poor behavior SWA makes it the lead segment on a "reality" program.
Ya know mags, it's too bad that a guy in a suit flying between LAX and SJC for a day trip business meeting doesn't make for compelling television. It's sad that a lawyer flying from Dallas to Houston makes for boring TV.

You ever watch the show COPS? I suppose that if we use the same criteria for judging people that you seem to use judging the people who fly Southwest based on a TV show, we'd have some pretty low opinions of all the folks living in Philadelphia, Cleveland, LA, Miami-Dade county Florida, and the Pacific Northwest.

You ever watch the show COPS? I suppose that if we use the same criteria for judging people that you seem to use judging the people who fly Southwest based on a TV show, we'd have some pretty low opinions of all the folks living in Philadelphia, Cleveland, LA, Miami-Dade county Florida, and the Pacific Northwest.

Most of the COPS shows that I have seen, the crimes are late night calls to bad neighborhoods. So yes there are areas in all the cities you mentioned that I would not want to walk the streets after nightfall alone in. That being said there are probably neighborhoods in these cities that are safe. To extract your own logic, we can surmise, ride SWA= Drunks and compelling TV. Travel a real airline that does not cater to drunks and you might have a peaceful enjoyable flight without the chaos associated with being in an inner city area featured on reality tv.

People watch COPS but they sure as heck don't want to be involved in an episode. Perhaps if SWA could do a combo and bring COPS on board the a/c they might have a two-fer show.

Most of the COPS shows that I have seen, the crimes are late night calls to bad neighborhoods. So yes there are areas in all the cities you mentioned that I would not want to walk the streets after nightfall alone in. That being said there are probably neighborhoods in these cities that are safe. To extract your own logic, we can surmise, ride SWA= Drunks and compelling TV. Travel a real airline that does not cater to drunks and you might have a peaceful enjoyable flight without the chaos associated with being in an inner city area featured on reality tv.

People watch COPS but they sure as heck don't want to be involved in an episode. Perhaps if SWA could do a combo and bring COPS on board the a/c they might have a two-fer show.
MAgs...why is it then that COPS is a late night call to a bad neighborhood that every city has, but Airline is an accurate portrayal of all SWA passengers? Makes you wonder why UAL didn't agree to be the 'host' airline...or do they let the drunks they get board the aircraft (remember the "I've gotta have a cigarette" incident by the 'models' on the UAL flight that diverted to Anchorage?). At least folks can see that the drunks were DENIED boarding on SWA until they sobered up a bit. And...since you point out that UAL has lower fares than SWA, how much longer do you think those lowlifes won't discover that and board a UAL flight? Or do you not want their money either....

MAgs...why is it then that COPS is a late night call to a bad neighborhood that every city has, but Airline is an accurate portrayal of all SWA passengers?

Because SWA is the equivilant to a bad neighborhood. There are people that shop at Walmart because they think they are the low price leader. Yet, many invesitgative reports have shown Walmart is not always the cheapest. You have a mentality for the people that travel on SWA. It is Greyhound with a security screening. Many people of the ilk that ride SWA don't look anywhere else for several reasons. One big reason and it is the reason SWA has low complaint rates. The expectations are so low when flying SWA that it limits the amount of complaints. Also, the average SWA traveler would not be able to formulate a complaint letter much less know where to send one.

People that travel SWA are a segment of society that really are unique. As for the ticket prices being different. Sure TED seems to drag in a few of the SWAesque travelers but on the whole the UAL, AA and DAL crowds are not the huddled masses you tend to see frequenting the SWA concourse before departure.

I don't tend to watch the airline show as it really does pain me to see how bad SWA really is. Sorta like looking behind the curtain in OZ. Perhaps america will awake like Dorothy and figure out that it was all just a bad dream.

The WALMART EFFECT and Southwest effect. Both companies have names for the destruction they are doing to America.

Because SWA is the equivilant to a bad neighborhood. There are people that shop at Walmart because they think they are the low price leader. Yet, many invesitgative reports have shown Walmart is not always the cheapest. You have a mentality for the people that travel on SWA. It is Greyhound with a security screening. Many people of the ilk that ride SWA don't look anywhere else for several reasons. One big reason and it is the reason SWA has low complaint rates. The expectations are so low when flying SWA that it limits the amount of complaints. Also, the average SWA traveler would not be able to formulate a complaint letter much less know where to send one.

People that travel SWA are a segment of society that really are unique. As for the ticket prices being different. Sure TED seems to drag in a few of the SWAesque travelers but on the whole the UAL, AA and DAL crowds are not the huddled masses you tend to see frequenting the SWA concourse before departure.

I don't tend to watch the airline show as it really does pain me to see how bad SWA really is. Sorta like looking behind the curtain in OZ. Perhaps america will awake like Dorothy and figure out that it was all just a bad dream.

The WALMART EFFECT and Southwest effect. Both companies have names for the destruction they are doing to America.

You've outdone yourself here mags. Why not non-rev to Dallas, head over to Love Field and just hang around the entrance on any given weekday. During slow periods you can count the Mercede's, Jags, and Lexus' in the parking garage. Pay close attention to the attire of the typical SWA customer there. You might be surprised.

IF SWA is destroying the American airline industry, how come you happily cite that UAL charges less than SWA...seems like they are killing themselves that way. Dragging themselves down. Why do you blame SWA...seems like UAL is leading the way with lower prices...and asking the employee groups to subsidize those "lower than the LCC" prices... Seems like UAL is dead set on a "recovery" strategy that will land them right back in bankruptcy court...short of even more givebacks from the labor pool. And you blame Southwest for that. Amazing.

Why not non-rev to Dallas, head over to Love Field and just hang around the entrance on any given weekday. During slow periods you can count the Mercede's, Jags, and Lexus' in the parking garage. Pay close attention to the attire of the typical SWA customer there. You might be surprised.

Why do you blame SWA...seems like UAL is leading the way with lower prices...

Ever see an after hours pharmaceutical salesman that did not drive a nice car?

UAL is price competitive with SWA. However, how many flights to Europe, Asia or South America does SWA offer? Would you consider SWA price competitive in the international market? UAL has positioned itself correctly in the market with the ability to compete in the LCC's arena on price and still offer the premium service our customers that are connecting to the far corners of the world wish for. UAL and SWA will never be the same in CASM or RASM. Different animals all together. UAL however, has been able to get into the markets of the LCC's and we will see how it plays out. One thing UAL has that was mentioned yesterday in the USA Today. I know you get all your good info. from there so you probably saw it. The article about UAL offering F class and Econ plus on the E170 and CRJ700's.

As for opinions and chatter. Just noticed that you have shared your opinion 2,614 times to my puny 416. Good show ;)

As for opinions and chatter. Just noticed that you have shared your opinion 2,614 times to my puny 416. Good show ;)
Yes, but of that 2,580 of my posts have been relevant to the topic (the other 34 were responses to your inane flame baiting). In comparison, of your 416, about 415 of them have been pure flame bait... whether they've been posted on Southwest, USAir, American, JetBlue, Airtran, or Frontier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts