Full time to part time!

GEM

Dec 19, 2018
I need some advice on how to approach a matter. I just recently got hired and I'm awaiting a start date at SWA. While I was waiting on the strenuous background process, I was fortunate to have been hired for a job that I've always wanted. However, I like what SWA has to offer but wouldn't be able to do both jobs. I have friends at SWA who say an option would be to do shift trades. Still, that's not guaranteed. I was wondering If anyone has been in my situation where they've had to switch to part time and how did they go about approaching the issue?

I need some advice on how to approach a matter. I just recently got hired and I'm awaiting a start date at SWA. While I was waiting on the strenuous background process, I was fortunate to have been hired for a job that I've always wanted. However, I like what SWA has to offer but wouldn't be able to do both jobs. I have friends at SWA who say an option would be to do shift trades. Still, that's not guaranteed. I was wondering If anyone has been in my situation where they've had to switch to part time and how did they go about approaching the issue?
Ok, I will bite.
You recently got hired by SWA after not getting hired for a job that you wanted even more and always wanted?
Waited on strenuous background check? Are you worried about something?
If you are referring to a mechanics position, I don't think you can shift trade until you are off the 6 month probation.
If you try and juggle 2 jobs while on probation, I am thinking you may not make probation as something will come up during that 6 months and you will be late, or not be able to show for work.
Sounds to me that you need to take the job that "you have always wanted". Obviously your desired job is not with SWA. If I were you I would pick one and go with it at 100% rather than trying to juggle both of them.
I have no clue what the "other" job is or with who. I can tell you that a mechanics position at SWA is a career not just another job.
BTW: The other problem is you don't even know what city you may be in as of yet. You may not be able to shift trade (once off probation) depending on city you are placed at.
Good luck in your choice. But to me SWA is not your first choice, it was just a back up while you were waiting for contact from your "always wanted job". Go back and read your post, then make up your mind. Your post kind of already made the decision.

Good answer! Good answer! (a la Family Feud LOL.) Seriously, it is a very good answer. Trying to manage 2 jobs is not a winning course of action. Sooner or later you would have to short change one or the other jobs. When you're new and don't show up to work or call in sick just 1 day past your supervisor's tolerance max, you would become a 1 job worker.