Got an email from Doug Parker

Apr 16, 2020
He was telling us "American Airlines CEO, Doug Parker, provides an update on what American is doing to care for customers, team members and the communities we serve throughout the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation."

Which was big of him, I guess he has already forgotten how he abandoned a lot of American Customers in early March in Central America - Honduras in particular.

See, Honduras said, you can go pickup your nationals as long as you dead-head the flight. Neither American nor Delta would do this. United on the other hand...

I guess I will do my best to avoid doing any business with these folks ever!

An unhappy Million Mile member...

He was telling us "American Airlines CEO, Doug Parker, provides an update on what American is doing to care for customers, team members and the communities we serve throughout the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation."

Which was big of him, I guess he has already forgotten how he abandoned a lot of American Customers in early March in Central America - Honduras in particular.

See, Honduras said, you can go pickup your nationals as long as you dead-head the flight. Neither American nor Delta would do this. United on the other hand...

I guess I will do my best to avoid doing any business with these folks ever!

An unhappy Million Mile member...
As one of Doug’s so called “Team Members” all I can say is...

I'm also a Million Miler and love pig-piling on Doug Parker whenever possible, but I suspect you're way off base here.

Honduras and many other countries closed their borders with less than 48 hours notice. Once that happens, it's not an option to keep flying.

As much as I like how United's been handling things, they weren't flying people out of Honduras out of good will or as a business decision -- once the border closed, they were only able to keep flying US nationals out as a charter organized by the US State Department.

American and Delta flew repatriation charters for State from other countries. There's a formula used by the government to make sure all eligible/available carriers are treated fairly, and not every airline will fly charters from every country.

I'm also a Million Miler and love pig-piling on Doug Parker whenever possible, but I suspect you're way off base here.

Honduras and many other countries closed their borders with less than 48 hours notice. Once that happens, it's not an option to keep flying.

As much as I like how United's been handling things, they weren't flying people out of Honduras out of good will or as a business decision -- once the border closed, they were only able to keep flying US nationals out as a charter organized by the US State Department.

American and Delta flew repatriation charters for State from other countries. There's a formula used by the government to make sure all eligible/available carriers are treated fairly, and not every airline will fly charters from every country.

The Honduran borders had perhaps 3 hours of notice - BUT this closure did not apply to repatriation efforts.

I was there and communicated with these airlines, and had tickets on all of them. Even though the borders were closed, these airlines were allowed to fly in and get passengers. And I know this to be true because United, and several Canadian air lines were flying folks out - and I knew some of these people. Simple rule - flights were required to be dead-headed. Both Delta and American could have come down, people had tickets, they simply chose not to. This was the week of the borders closing.

The US state dept was NOT flying charters out until perhaps the 3rd week after the shut down. The US state dept went completely dark for the 1st 2 weeks or so as did the Embassy. United was doing commercial flights out on their own nickle - people still had to pay, but United agreed to the simple rules.