Doug Parker

etops1

Veteran
Dec 6, 2003
TEMPE, Ariz. - Eleven days after taking over as chief executive of America West Airlines in September 2001, Doug Parker had to abruptly shift his focus from improving the carrier's poor reputation among customers to fighting for its survival.
The night before the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Parker and his new management team celebrated their plans for the carrier over drinks, only to wake up the next day to find that the already ailing airline industry had sunk into deeper turmoil.

After securing a $429 million government bailout loan that probably saved America West from bankruptcy, Parker succeeded in improving worker morale and changing the Tempe-based airline's reputation as a carrier that delays flights, loses luggage and leaves customers waiting.

Now, the 43-year-old Parker will be tested by America West's plan to take over Arlington, Va.-based US Airways and stitch together two geographically distinct airlines into one designed to better compete with lower-cost rivals. Analysts say Parker will face difficulties combining the two carriers' work forces and capturing an estimated $600 million in savings from the merger.

Even though America West is the acquirer, the US Airways name will survive and be used when the nation's seventh- and eighth-largest carriers are combined to create the No. 6 airline.

Two trips through bankruptcy court reorganizations apparently were not enough to tarnish the more recognizable US Airways name.

"We will leapfrog ourselves from one of these airlines that's doing OK but still struggling to one that is well positioned for the future and has the critical mass, I think, to be around forever," said the gravelly voiced Parker, who will serve as chief executive of the combined company.

Under Parker's leadership, America West cut costs and overhauled prices, but perhaps his biggest accomplishment was repairing employee morale, which suffered under his predecessor, William Franke.

Many attribute his success to his low-key, genuine manner.

Parker has a reputation for candor, chatting up crews while on flights and eating lunch with pilots in between training sessions at the company's headquarters.

"He is in private what he is in public," said Bill McGlashen, president of the America West Association of Flight Attendants. "There isn't a persona change."

McGlashen noted that before America West got the first airline bailout loan following the terrorist attacks, Parker told federal officials he could not ask his employees for concessions and got them instead from vendors.

Some of Parker's favorable reputation with employees may be due to having worked at unionized airlines before, noted McGlashen.

After receiving his MBA from Vanderbilt University in 1986, Parker worked in a series of management positions at American Airlines before moving to Northwest Airlines in 1991.

He spent four years at Northwest as vice president and assistant treasurer and as vice president of financial planning and analysis before he joined America West in 1995 as chief financial officer.

Jim Bradford, dean of Vanderbilt's Owen Graduate School of Management and a friend of Parker's, said Parker has a disarming, everyman quality that appeals to employees at all levels.

"He is not a CEO with an entourage and an ego to match," said Bradford.

Kris Garrett, whose sons attend school with Parker's children, said Parker works hard to be inconspicuous at his boys' baseball games.

"I see him trudging through the dirt, carrying batting equipment," said Garrett, regional CEO for JP Morgan Chase.

Light Years said:
If he's so good, maybe he won't contract out all of the current 737 type flying to Republic.
[post="277906"][/post]​
he is gonna do what ever he can to make this work. if it means contracting out work , so be it.no matter which ceo comes to airways. he/she will do something that some employee group will dislike. you can't make everyone happy.

etops1 said:
if it means contracting out work , so be it.
[post="277914"][/post]​
Just wait till it is your job that gets outsourced and see how you will feel.

700UW said:
Just wait till it is your job that gets outsourced and see how you will feel.
[post="277923"][/post]​
listen dude . i don't ride on the back of this job. i have other things lined up. i am just riding the wave until it subsides. the airline industry is a very unforgiving industry. if you think even for a munite that you have a secure job with an airline then your cearly mistaken. s#it happens you move on. i do not mean to offend you 700 or anyone for that matter. but times are changing and we just have to change with it. i know it sucks and most of it is just down right f'd up. the hey days are over brother. just look around.

Light Years said:
Well seeing as you are a very junior F/A (lodo or not), it is your job being contracted out, so good thing your comfortable with it.
[post="277948"][/post]​
life is too short buddy. and how do you know if i am junior or not?

Light Years said:
Am I right? There's only so many Spanish Lodo's married to a UAL F/A.
[post="277997"][/post]​
ok so you got me, love ya ;)

Atlantic said:
Sad to say, but he's going to kick a few ass's on the US side. Still some fat there.
[post="277910"][/post]​
both yourself and etops1 make valid points......the main problem at U has been the continual change with change never taking hold.we talk reams about what we need to do to survive and everyone cops a good rush and then several months down the road its the same old crap,no matter who is in the drivers seat or who is comming..
how many times we fixed it and then gone stale?
what ever has changed here except what you and i take home?
has it really fixed anything??
the only way to change U is to start all over again and don't look back.....and its going to hurt.
:mf_boff: :mf_boff: :mf_boff:

Of coarse he is going to outsource, Mesa already flies 20-30 CRJ-900's in America West colors...... America West outsources just about everything with exception to ramp and flight crew.

etops1 said:
listen dude . i don't ride on the back of this job. i have other things lined up. i am just riding the wave until it subsides. the airline industry is a very unforgiving industry. if you think even for a munite that you have a secure job with an airline then your cearly mistaken. s#it happens you move on. i do not mean to offend you 700 or anyone for that matter. but times are changing and we just have to change with it. i know it sucks and most of it is just down right f'd up. the hey days are over brother. just look around.
[post="277930"][/post]​
Wait till life gives you a real kick in the teeth and knocks that “Can Do Attitudeâ€￾ for a loop and you find yourself sitting on you a-z-z, then and only then come back and post your “tis lifeâ€￾ remarks. People of power took advantage of a bad situation stepping all over real people without apologies and along the way made sure they personally benefited mightily. Your belief that everyone just needs to suck it up and move on and not whine is not a thought process of clarity, it’s from someone either young and still sheltered from life’s true woes, or one born of privilege who will never have to know real woes. A few very corrupt greedy immoral depraved individuals sought personal gain causing many people misery, and did it without remorse with their seared conscience, and to add salt to the wounds by making followers out of people like yourself who go around preaching personal responsibility to the downtrodden.