Got Privacy?

wrx said:
Thousands of pax have already filed a lawsuit regarding this. More people are filing lawsuits everyday. B6 blew it and they know it!!
Jetblue made a mistake, but at least this was not a mistake where people were injured, like ValuJet, now that was pure negligence. Airlines violate rules and laws everyday. The media and nay sayers who can’t understand that jetblue is a great product are going nuts with this mix up. When American crashes a plane, we don’t say that they are a horrible company and no one will ever fly on them again, we feel bad for the people who were affected and we understand that we are all human and humans make mistakes and then we try to fix what went wrong so it doesn’t happen again.
Jetblue did not sell the information to profit themselves; they did this to help aviation security. It was done in the wrong manner, but for the right reasons. I think that it was wise of David Neelman to apologize for this mistake and I know Jetblue will see to it that something like this never happens again.
Jetblue won’t go out of business because of this, they are a great company and people who fly them and even people who don’t fly them know that. People will renew their trust and this whole thing will be forgotten and then American or United or Delta will do something even worse and even more negligent.

I stand corrected. Ignorant and bitter...sorry I left out one of your better qualities. UAL has Chip, and we have you. Your turn...

My two cents:

If JetBlue had sold passenger information to a marketing firm, I wouldn't be exactly thrilled, but I wouldn't say it's a big deal. As others have written, corporations sell information to each other all the time.

My problem with what happened is that JetBlue freely volunteered passenger's information to the federal government (a contractor of the feds = the feds as far as I'm concerned).

I want government to stay out of my private life, and I am not going to patronize a business that gives away my personal information to the government no-questions-asked.

Sell my information to a marketing firm if you want. I don't care. I throw away junk mail and hang up on telemarketers. But I can't rip up, throw away or hang up on the loss of limited government, and that is what pisses me off about this whole thing.

P.S. we already have security checkpoints at the airports, and they're even staffed by highly paid federal employees. Data mining by Big Brother is unnecessary, and it should be stopped immediately.

JS said:
My two cents:

If JetBlue had sold passenger information to a marketing firm, I wouldn't be exactly thrilled, but I wouldn't say it's a big deal. As others have written, corporations sell information to each other all the time.

My problem with what happened is that JetBlue freely volunteered passenger's information to the federal government (a contractor of the feds = the feds as far as I'm concerned).

I want government to stay out of my private life, and I am not going to patronize a business that gives away my personal information to the government no-questions-asked.

Sell my information to a marketing firm if you want. I don't care. I throw away junk mail and hang up on telemarketers. But I can't rip up, throw away or hang up on the loss of limited government, and that is what pisses me off about this whole thing.

P.S. we already have security checkpoints at the airports, and they're even staffed by highly paid federal employees. Data mining by Big Brother is unnecessary, and it should be stopped immediately.
The government doesn't need JetBlue to figure out a person's NAME or ADDRESS. They DO, however, need Axciom to provide the private information such as SSN, EMPLOYMENT, WAGE, etc.

But we blame JetBlue. Why?...because we can't stand when an entity is successful and we try to tear that down however we can. Try blaming the company that actually provided the information.

Ch. 12 said:
The government doesn't need JetBlue to figure out a person's NAME or ADDRESS. They DO, however, need Axciom to provide the private information such as SSN, EMPLOYMENT, WAGE, etc.
You keep missing the BIG picture.

It is the monitoring of private citizens' activities , in this case travel information, which most posters here find objectionable.

Big brother is here. Oh, I forgot, it is almost 20 years past 1984.

Today was my first day back to work at JFK after a week off and since the privacy issued got so huge. For the most part, Jetblue's customers are not phased by the privacy issue at all. I spoke to a few customers about it and most said that they didnt care as long as Jetblue does not do something like this again. For New Yorkers jetblue is very important and for the most part customers are not going to sacrafice a great product at a low fare over this small issue. Like I said before nobody was harmed by this slip-up, yes jetblue violated some customer's trust and their will be some people who will not fly on jetblue again. For the most part the airline industry is price driven, people are usually going to choose the airline with the lowest prices and jetblue has the lowest prices in many of the markets that they serve. I also looked at the loads for Jetblue, they remain very strong and continue to average 80% for the rest of the month and through October.

You say B6 passengers are not phased regarding the privacy policy. Then tell me why thousands of passengers have already filed lawsuits in federal court againt JetBlue!

"Thousands of passengers."

I am not sure where you get this number from, unless you work for one of the attorneys or are using numbers from a news source that cannot be verified.

Secondly, while I think jetBlue made a mistake and was wrong, I think, one would have to show, how one was affected. I sincerely doubt, anyone was affected by this in the real sense of the word. Perceived to be, perhaps.

Sorry, I my book, a complaint to the FTC with a follow up on corrective action is more in line with the crime. This class action sounds more like opportunism, one asking for a min. payment of a 1000$, plus punitive to be determined:"Hey, look, we can get money for free."
Wonder how much the attorneys get to take home, they are most certainly not doing this pro bona.

Yep, jetBlue was wrong, but show me how it affcted the complainants, then we can talk.

wrx said:
You say B6 passengers are not phased regarding the privacy policy. Then tell me why thousands of passengers have already filed lawsuits in federal court againt JetBlue!
DO you know for a fact that there are thousands, or are you just guessing? Listen, this is America people are going to try to get money anyway they can and if it meens starting a lawsuit for $1000, they will do it. That does not meen that the same person wont go back on jetblue.com and buy a ticket on Jetblue to fly from SYR to JFK becuase they dont feel like paying double for a US Air ticket to fly on a dinky prop, or they dont want to take American Eagle thru BOS and risk flying on a jungle jet that will most probably arrive late. No people are NOT phased.

PLANES333 said:
Today was my first day back to work at JFK after a week off and since the privacy issued got so huge. For the most part, Jetblue's customers are not phased by the privacy issue at all. I spoke to a few customers about it and most said that they didnt care as long as Jetblue does not do something like this again. For New Yorkers jetblue is very important and for the most part customers are not going to sacrafice a great product at a low fare over this small issue. Like I said before nobody was harmed by this slip-up, yes jetblue violated some customer's trust and their will be some people who will not fly on jetblue again. For the most part the airline industry is price driven, people are usually going to choose the airline with the lowest prices and jetblue has the lowest prices in many of the markets that they serve. I also looked at the loads for Jetblue, they remain very strong and continue to average 80% for the rest of the month and through October.
That's because most Americans don't care about their Constitutional rights, especially if the magic word "security" is involved. Sad but true.

Shall we toss out the Constitution and replace it with a daily CNN or Time or Gallup poll?

The three groups behind this action are the paranoid, the greedy, and the jealous. The paranoid because they feel that it was all a ploy to provide highly confidential passenger itineraries. If the government can do so much harm to us simply by knowing top secret information like where we fly to, we're all in trouble. Call out the militia. The greedy because as McDonald's continues to show...Americans can make a buck by "not knowing" that coffee is hot or can try to make a buck by stating that they "had no idea" that cheeseburgers and french fries, if consumed daily, actually will increase one's weight. And the jealous because we all hate to see a company doing well so we draft up the Wright Amendment to stifle one company and create a major scandal to bring down another.

Ch. 12 said:
The three groups behind this action are the paranoid, the greedy, and the jealous. The paranoid because they feel that it was all a ploy to provide highly confidential passenger itineraries. If the government can do so much harm to us simply by knowing top secret information like where we fly to, we're all in trouble. Call out the militia. The greedy because as McDonald's continues to show...Americans can make a buck by "not knowing" that coffee is hot or can try to make a buck by stating that they "had no idea" that cheeseburgers and french fries, if consumed daily, actually will increase one's weight. And the jealous because we all hate to see a company doing well so we draft up the Wright Amendment to stifle one company and create a major scandal to bring down another.
exactly! and does that stop them from going to mcdonalds? no, because its a product that people like. That is the point I am trying to make, this is just a bump in the road for B6.

The three groups behind this action are the paranoid, the greedy, and the jealous. The paranoid because they feel that it was all a ploy to provide highly confidential passenger itineraries. If the government can do so much harm to us simply by knowing top secret information like where we fly to, we're all in trouble. Call out the militia.

It's not paranoia, it's a matter of protecting our Fourth Amendment rights. Would you think nothing of the police searching people's homes without a search warrant, under the assumption that the cops know who the bad guys are, and you won't have to worry about such an instrusion?

Negative effects of legal and widespread government snooping will take some time to surface, but when it does, it's far too late to stop it.

The greedy because as McDonald's continues to show...Americans can make a buck by "not knowing" that coffee is hot or can try to make a buck by stating that they "had no idea" that cheeseburgers and french fries, if consumed daily, actually will increase one's weight. And the jealous because we all hate to see a company doing well so we draft up the Wright Amendment to stifle one company and create a major scandal to bring down another.

Agreed there. The lawsuits should be directed at the government as much as JetBlue, with the result being directives to stop invasion of privacy, not awarding big $$$ to the lawyers and their clients.