Here we go again playing musical chairs!

Funny you should mention that. I have a friend who is a senior f/a at US Airways. Right after the config of our 321s was announced, he said that there was no way that Parker would allow only 102 seats total on a 321 when US Airways 321s have 16 F/C and 171 (I think) coach seats.

Reactions: 1 person
Not exactly. Until the merger is final, AA and US may not share pricing, scheduling or other competition-sensitive data and obviously may not make any agreements to restrain trade. AA execs are still making operating decisions in competition with all of AA's competitors, including US.

But incoming executives hinting that, in their view, the seating density of AA's 738s and MD-80s is insufficient and that once they're in charge, some "changes will have to be made" and the seating density will have to be increased, violates no laws.

Yes, but US cannot make decisions on behalf of AA. Anyone can "hint", but AA executives still need to manage AA day-to-day for the betterment of an independent AA.

Also, with respect to another post about first class seats, US+AA has yet to decide whose upgrade policy it will adopt. AA does not have unlimited upgrades as US (and UA and DL) do. This will be a culture shock for the US FFs if the AA policy remains in place and will immediately reduce the number of upgrades for a large swath of FFs.

Funny you should mention that. I have a friend who is a senior f/a at US Airways. Right after the config of our 321s was announced, he said that there was no way that Parker would allow only 102 seats total on a 321 when US Airways 321s have 16 F/C and 171 (I think) coach seats.
I'm sure that both you and your friend at US realize that configuration of 102 on the A-321's isn't for the entire incoming AA fleet. As far as I know, they only plan to use them on select transcons out of JFK which may consist of 10 A/C or less.

Also, with respect to another post about first class seats, US+AA has yet to decide whose upgrade policy it will adopt. AA does not have unlimited upgrades as US (and UA and DL) do.

To be clear, they do offer unlimited upgrades for EXP's. It's the second and third elite tiers who don't get them on AA, and they are eligible for them on US, UA, and DL. But being eligible for them and getting them are mutually exclusive...

because they are not trying to attract the 1x per year traveler, but the multi-trip customer.

America Worst was all about attracting the Kettles on their once-in-a-lifetime ride on the big jet aeroplane. Now, that's what US is about. Soon AA. Bet on it.

I'm sure that both you and your friend at US realize that configuration of 102 on the A-321's isn't for the entire incoming AA fleet. As far as I know, they only plan to use them on select transcons out of JFK which may consist of 10 A/C or less.

It won't last 12 months before they are all Amistad-class in coach. Bet on it.

Reactions: 2 people
America Worst was all about attracting the Kettles on their once-in-a-lifetime ride on the big jet aeroplane. Now, that's what US is about. Soon AA. Bet on it.

Wow! When things look blackest, you're always there with the voice of doom, aren't you! :lol:

(I think I'm glad that I'm going to be retiring very soon. Still enjoy the job while on the airplane (and good at it), but just about fed up to the gills with the BS coming out of AA management--particularly, Flight Service "management"--the "I have the power and I will make your life a living hell" Crew Scheduling goons, and the illiterate morons who write the hotel voucher instructions.)

Reactions: 1 person
Wow! When things look blackest, you're always there with the voice of doom, aren't you! :lol:

(I think I'm glad that I'm going to be retiring very soon. Still enjoy the job while on the airplane (and good at it), but just about fed up to the gills with the BS coming out of AA management--particularly, Flight Service "management"--the "I have the power and I will make your life a living hell" Crew Scheduling goons, and the illiterate morons who write the hotel voucher instructions.)

Well, when the voice of doom is that also of history...

Glad for you that you will retire soon. I'm very close behind, or perhaps just in front.

I also share your love of the job inside the airplane, and will miss that.

I agree.

Riding on some of those AWA birds for any length of time, is like hell on earth. I'd rather go to the dentist. It kind of reminds me of 4 people sitting on a picnic bench for 3 or 4 hours straight without moving. When you finally get to PHX you need a chiro.

I remember when the first AWA plane came to my station. It had those nasty blue cloth seats that had absolutely no cushion, and was like sitting on the metal seat pan by itself, with the filthy back rests that had a greasy skid mark on the head rests from the thousands of "people" that sat there before me.

Yeah, you AA people are in for a rude awaking.

Well, when the voice of doom is that also of history...

Glad for you that you will retire soon. I'm very close behind, or perhaps just in front.

I also share your love of the job inside the airplane, and will miss that.
Thanks, and the best to you. The thing that made me decide to retire was on Friday I was deadheading back to DFW from LGA where I had spent less than 6 hours behind the door after being on duty for over 30 hours in two days--21 hours aloft! While we were in the air, Crew Scheduling called my cell phone and left me a message that I had been reassigned. When I got back to DFW, I was to sit (unpaid, of course) for two hours then work a flight to Sacramento!!! I turned my phone on when we arrived at DFW, but didn't realize that I had also put it in airplane mode; so, I didn't get the message. (Needless to say I was brain dead anyway.) I went home. I was given a missed trip.

When I called the tape to get today's assignment--I was only good for today (16th), I was supposed to be Ready Reserve (do anything I want, but have to be within 2 hours of the airport at all times). My relative position was 72 of 79 available reserves. That was at 5pm yesterday. At 8:20pm last night they called me and said that they "had" to move my moveable day off on the 17th and I had been given a 2-day for today. If they are running that short of reserves this early in the month, sounds like piss poor planning to me, doesn't it you?

So, they call your cell phone when it's supposed to be turned off, and give you a missed trip? Priceless.

Seems to me that if positive contact isn't made, Crew Sked has no choice but to move on to the next one on the list, no?.... That used to be the excuse we'd use in overtime list grievances...

But I digress... .Best of luck. There's always the orange apron when you get bored during Retirement #2 -- they treated me well, and it seems they did with Mark K as well...