Hurricane Storm Surge Modeling

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
Article from the Houston Chronicle about the National Hurricane Center's Storm Surge Modeling Software. With Ike on the way, it shows storm surge effects on Houston area with Category 3 storm, and how different the results are depending upon a slight change in landfall point. Pay particular attention to the difference in storm surge in Galveston Bay if the storm goes ashore in the middle of Galveston Island as opposed to going ashore at the eastern end of Galveston Island--a distance of less than 10 miles. I was amazed.

Link to Article

Article from the Houston Chronicle about the National Hurricane Center's Storm Surge Modeling Software. With Ike on the way, it shows storm surge effects on Houston area with Category 3 storm, and how different the results are depending upon a slight change in landfall point. Pay particular attention to the difference in storm surge in Galveston Bay if the storm goes ashore in the middle of Galveston Island as opposed to going ashore at the eastern end of Galveston Island--a distance of less than 10 miles. I was amazed.

Link to Article

My home is 20 miles east of the eye if it maintains its current track. This is not going to be pretty. Luckily, I am up in the Conroe area and not in Galveston or around the ship channel area. Look for Exxon Baytown to be flooded, along with many other petrochemeical plants in the area.

The Baytown refinery is the largest in the United States

My home is 20 miles east of the eye if it maintains its current track. This is not going to be pretty. Luckily, I am up in the Conroe area and not in Galveston or around the ship channel area. Look for Exxon Baytown to be flooded, along with many other petrochemeical plants in the area.

Take care tech, we’ll be thinking about you and your family. I’m sure you wouldn’t mind if we kept the “tech2101â€￾ family in our prayers.

Been through a hurricane in FL/Bama some (many?) years back.

Keep the 'inflatable’s' handy! :p

Good Luck Tech! :up:

B) xUT

Latest posts