If There Was a Merger

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckyb221

Contributor
Aug 11, 2004
It seems that with the impending collapse of a merger between Delta and Northwest that merger talk in the airline industry will slow down. But, with fuel costs at record highs it is only a matter of time before the merger frenzy begins again.

If Airtran were to merge with anyone who should it be? Who would make for the best business decision? Common fleets? Growth potential? Route networks?

What about Allegiant? They are very similar to the original AirTran before the Valujet merger. They seem to have put together a fairly good business model. AirTran could start replacing their MD-80's with 717 and 737.

Call me Crazy! But I would say say Sky West. I know they are a regional, but hey have some pretty decent equipment in there 700 and 900 CRJ fleet. Not to mention they have a major West Coast influence that would compliment AirTran's East coast influence.

If Skywest can bust through it's regional ties, and re-allocate their resources under the AirTran Flag, I think it would be very interesting.

Personally, I always thought SkyWest was too good of an airline to be operating other another airline's flag. Then again I also know this is just a pipe dream.

Why not Southwest?

Let's take the two biggest and best Discount Carriers and make them the 1000 lb gorilla in the room!

The route systems match up perfect, the eqpt types are very compatible, what's the down side?

Frontier would be a nice fit other than the Airbus'. Denver would give AirTran a great central hub. Also, the new LYNX commuter service would have some growth opportunities as it appears Turboprops are back in with the high fuel prices.

What about Alaska Airlines? AirTran would have a strong opperation on each of the coasts. Put Alaska, Frontier and AirTran together and you have a nice national carrier.

but nobody flies that crappy 717 other than Midwest and Air Tran.

"Crappy" is definitely a minority opinion. Just because it didn't sell--mainly because Boeing treated it like the proverbial red-headed stepchild after the McD-D merger--doesn't make it "crappy". From a passenger standpoint it's a favorite.

BTW, Hawaiian operates the 717 as well.

I've flown on the 717's a few times and as a passenger I don't see any problem with them.

So why wouldn't an Alaska Airlines hockup work?

Any other merger dreams that would make sense?

The ATA folks are probably wishing that merger had gone through with Airtran. Midwest probably will be in the same spot soon unless they are swallowed into Northwest. ATA should have joined Airtran when they had the chance.

I wish the ATA folks the best of luck.

Be careful what you wish for....if the backers of the Midwest buyout suddenly get cold feet, you might get the best of all worlds. If NW steps aside because of high fuel, and taking on a new fleet style may not be in the best interest, you might get what is left over of Midwest when they cease due to withdrawl of support. Remember PanAm waiting on Delta to save them? Well, Midwest is in the same boat today. AirTran could just buy up the planes, gates and slots, forget the people and thus there is no merger intergration or discussion of who bought who. The pilots are happy because they don't lose seniority and you suddenly have a whole new world at your door step. Then you put a further squeeze on Delta who retracts even more capacity in Atlanta and soon enough, the legacies are just like PanAm, depending upon others to fill up their overseas flights.

Just a pipe dream I guess.

I still say a Soutwest/Air Tran merger would drive most of the weaklings totally out of the market!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back