Implications of 1549

The next time we as frontline employees get ANOTHER memo from the SANDCASTLE about the HHD's, or charging for $2 cokes, or the costs of adding more fuel, or turning in our liquor money promptly or how to increase the 'revenue stream' by charging for premium seats better--all of us need to take a moment, reflect on what happened Wednesday, realize that WE are SAFETY PROFESSIONALS and that our primary and unwavering focus is the safety of our passengers--then conduct ourselves as SAFETY PROFESSIONALS FIRST!!

(Lately I've seen F/A nearly in tears because of stupid HHD's and gate agents stressing out completely over a 1 minute delay)

No matter how much Tempe harangues us....EVERYTHING THING ELSE IS SECONDARY!!!

Our Unions need to step up NOW and drive this point home to the company. Strong statements need to be issued to Tempe reiterating that front-line employees will operate as SAFETY PROFESSIONALS FIRST. The company's unending drive to increase revenue CANNOT and SHOULD NOT interfere in the slightest with us operating as safely and conscientiously as we can!

We were just given an outstanding example to follow...and we need to continue to focus on doing it everyday!!

The next time we as frontline employees get ANOTHER memo from the SANDCASTLE about the HHD's, or charging for $2 cokes, or the costs of adding more fuel, or turning in our liquor money promptly or how to increase the 'revenue stream' by charging for premium seats better--all of us need to take a moment, reflect on what happened Wednesday, realize that WE are SAFETY PROFESSIONALS and that our primary and unwavering focus is the safety of our passengers--then conduct ourselves as SAFETY PROFESSIONALS FIRST!!

(Lately I've seen F/A nearly in tears because of stupid HHD's and gate agents stressing out completely over a 1 minute delay)

No matter how much Tempe harangues us....EVERYTHING THING ELSE IS SECONDARY!!!

Our Unions need to step up NOW and drive this point home to the company. Strong statements need to be issued to Tempe reiterating that front-line employees will operate as SAFETY PROFESSIONALS FIRST. The company's unending drive to increase revenue CANNOT and SHOULD NOT interfere in the slightest with us operating as safely and conscientiously as we can!

We were just given an outstanding example to follow...and we need to continue to focus on doing it everyday!!

--sorry--it happened Thursday not Wednesday

In a nutshell, everybody deserves a raise. Wait til the press digs in that "Sully" and his East counterparts are the lowest paid of the majors. Gosh, that will look crappy in headlines.

New York POST
PILOT PAY SHOCKER: Captain Sully and colleagues lowest paid aviators in the industry

New York Daily News
CHUMP CHANGE!! How little US Airways pays its heroes

San Francisco Chronicle
OH MY STARS! Captain Sully makes less than a gay bartender on Polk Street

London Daily Mirror
BLIMEY! US Airways crews can't afford bangers and mash on a layover

Later,
Eye

LOL! That is hysterical, but so true!

What's pathetic is that the only positive PR marketing that US Airways can generate was related to an aircraft accident! :rolleyes:

What's pathetic is that the only positive PR marketing that US Airways can generate was related to an aircraft accident! :rolleyes:
HOW TRUE! Too bad they are only giving praise because they are being shamed into it by the media and politicians. Management should have been the first to "Crow the Loudest" about how great of a job the crew did once they found out everyone was OK. Why did it take them hours after anyone else to acknowledge "a job well done"?!

Dorf

There's a very good reason that airlines don't use safety as fodder for the ad campaigns. Much like lightning, one never knows when or where misfortune will strike next. Can you imagine the field day the media would have if US (or any airline) made a big issue of how safe it was, how experienced it's crews, etc, then had an accident with a less fortunate outcome?

Jim

I agree.....yet

Think Quantus......

There is nothing pathetic about pulling off one the most amazing aircraft water ditchings in the last 50 years. I may be wrong but this was nothing short than a blessing and a prayer.

If we get some good PR because of this...so be it.

If US had a real marketing department, and would put some money into something productive, instead of trying to find ways to squeeze dimes out of their employees and passengers - this could be an incredible opportunity for US as a company.

As it stands now, the entire nation is looking at US and thinking "Experience and Safety". Imagine the advertising campaign that could be launched around this event.

At the VERY LEAST - US Airways should take a full page ad out in USA TODAY, and major city newspapers thanking the crew, their 35,000 employees, customers, and all the people who helped save all these lives.

In reality, US should reverse the stupid policies and procedures that were created over the past few years, make a product that everyone could be proud of, and promote the "Experience and Safety" angle through a REAL advertising campaign.
You are sooooo right!!!

There is nothing pathetic about pulling off one the most amazing aircraft water ditchings in the last 50 years. I may be wrong but this was nothing short than a blessing and a prayer.

If we get some good PR because of this...so be it.
Sounds like something from top people in the sandcastle.

Issues that need to be highlighted are that it was an Airbus not Boeing for the reason of the R.A.T. If both engines were lost the RAT played a vital role in getting the aircraft to the water. If it were a 737, that may not have happened. Yes the Captain did an excellent job in this situation and I would be willing to bet he wouldnt have minded getting back in another aircraft and finishing his trip. I feel for the employee who leaked the Capt's name early in the story. If he or she is discovered, it will be bye bye for them!

The BUS is a good plane, but the 737 wouldn't need a RAT in a similar situation.

Back