its a start

It isn't the vending machines or the snacks; that is just the excuse. We did without so our kids could have the things we wanted but a lot of us couldn't have. We allowed our kids to stay inside and play with their play stations, VCRs, DVDs, iPODs and computers. We didn't make them go out play and be active like we had to do. We in turn (not everyone so don't get upset) became couch potatoes and such. Kids imitate their parents, plain and simple. As kids it was my responsibility to their upbringing, not the schools. Actually, I think I did a great job because they are well adjusted, caring adults with lives of their own. I offer no apoligies or place blame on anyone other than myself for the manner in which they were raised.

I disagree. I think it is a combination of all of the above.

Junk food offers no value and should be reserved for out of school. It does zero harm to remove it.

Schools and parents have the responsibility to teach children good eating habits as part of their education. If the parent fails in this area, at least the children are exposed to the information and can made the choice to eat healthy outside of school or not.

No child has ever died, because they could not buy junk food at school.

I bet a lot of kids do not have someone home to make them go outside. No parent around and the kids just do what they want. Personally I had a mother at home when I got out of school and had strict rules about watching TV and could not eat until dinner was served.
I agree. I was able to play outside until the street lights came on and then it was inside. We didn't have TV. A very nice neighbor invited all the neighborhood kids over on Wednesday night to watch the Lone Ranger. We didn't have to lock the doors because it was SAFE, and I lived within a mile of a Federal Prison. If I did something wrong not only did my neighbors correct me, they told my parents. There was no privacy. As a child we had only one right, obey our parents and elders. Treat them with respect or get your rear busted. We didn't have to worry about sexual preditors and such, they were probably there, but we never knew about it. You could go trick or treating without your parents and not worry about pins, poison or anything else hurting you and you got home made cookies and popcorn balls. Like I said we were safe. We didn't have seatbelts or airbags and we rode in the trunk of my uncles car or the back of a truck. That was a treat to us; do that today and it is child endangerment. If you got a cut, you put iodine on it and pressed on with what you were doing. We drew water from an open well, drank fresh milk from the bucket we had used when milking the cows. Walked barefoot and stepped in chicken S*&t, cow pies and worse. We made it to adulthood in one piece. There are way to many excuses today; my mom or dad didn't hug me, my teacher offended me by saying my grades were not up to par. People should get a life, you have good days and you have bad ones; truth is most of it is what you choose to make of it. Me, I came into this world kicking and screaming, no money, bald and naked; I don't care if I go out the same way. I'm still here for the ride!

You forgot the lead paint on our cribs that we used to gnaw on. :shock: How did we ever survive?
I remember my grandmother in Ohio packing 6 grandkids (no seatbelts) and driving about 80 on a hilly "woo road" (when you crested the hill, your stomach went "woo"). I miss those days.

Technology has played a role in childhood obesity. I grew up in the 1960's...we had sticks we used as "guns" and would play "Army". Lots of running in that game. We rode bicycles to get where we were going. Mom and Dad had to yell to get us to come inside - because we were always outside. Today, they've got X-box, Playstations, and Nintendo - with "lifelike" graphics to make them feel like part of the game. We've got Xanga and Myspace and You Tube. If you get them to go outside, and you have to sometimes yell as loud as our parents yelled to get us to come in, most kids still have bikes...but more have motorized scooters. Guess which one is used to head down to the neighbor kids house. Then you toss in sugar and transfat laden snacks, and you've got a real problem on your hands. Finally toss in the two income, two career families, who are too tired to get out with the kids when they are home, and it's icing on the cake.