Jetblue Loves Red ( Twa )

AAquila

Senior
Sep 22, 2002
In today's New York Times 10-2-03 Section B, A new Function of a landmark by David W. Dunlap.

Terminal 5 at JFK will be used by the little Blue Wonder JetBlue, the smaller carrier plans to triple it's flights out of JFK, by the end of the construction period to include 26 gates.

Meanwhile, our own new terminal ( JFK) anguishes in the slow construction pace.

Rumors also abound at JFK that Jetblue will enter the Caribbean via SDQ soon, how will American counter?

Maybe American will buy up the competition in the caribbean again ( TWA ), :lol: I don't think so.

Interesting article. I'm very glad to hear that they're finally making progress towards a compromise that will allow the stalled plans for a new terminal to move forward. Until now, for those not be familiar with the situation, there has been strong opposition from a few preservation groups who believe that saving T5 as a museum is unacceptable (a "fly in amber," in their words), and that it must continue to be used as a terminal. On the other hand, anyone familiar with the building must admit that it is grossly inadequate for modern airline operations of any significant scale, as it cannot support today's security and baggage handling requirements without extensive modifications, which of course are prohibited due to the terminal's landmark status.

Now, according to the article, JetBlue may put self-service check-in kiosks in the original lobby, allowing some passengers to pass through the historic structure (including the distinctive "tubes") as in the past, while using the new terminal for the rest of its operations. Hopefully this will make everyone happy. B)

Speaking of the AA terminal, does anyone know the current status? Is construction still moving forward, or has it halted entirely? When I was at JFK a couple of weeks ago, it looked like much of the "island" concourse was completed, but obviously all I saw was the exterior. Is that part scheduled to open first?

In October, 2001, AA announced that the "island" portion was scheduled to open in June, 2003, prior to the rest of the terminal. Unfortunately, many billions were spent in excess of revenues in the interim.

Don't know what the current timetable is.

I'm glad JetBlue will be moving into my old digs. I can't think of a better airline to occupy our former home. They have a groovy progressive feel alot like the The TWA flight center had when it was built. I hope they are as happy there as I was.

Terminal 8 at JFK is still going S...L...O...W...L...Y. The contractor for the terminal could care less how long it takes. They have a legally binding contract with AMR. So if AMR decides to stop for a while or not finish it, they still get paid.

Latest posts