Jfk - Newcastle

" HELLO" ................................... ????

Just today they took the "wraps" off a $1.1B JFK terminal(the HUB of the world) with a #### load of International gates, so it makes a ton of sense that AA would start branching out Internationally !!

Better AA, than DL or anyone else, out of our "home turf" !!!!!!!

IMHO, That's the bottom line !!!

NH/BB's

ps,
I HAV'NT gone "soft" on you guys, since I retired, the TWU still $ucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!

kirkpatrick said:
Yes, they do. In South America.

MK
[post="284523"][/post]​

Then you should understand that outsourcing should not be swept under the carpet because of good press, new terminals, profits, etc.
International stations have been doing work on AA aircraft for years. Work up to an A CHECK.

kirkpatrick said:
Yes, they do. In South America.

MK
[post="284523"][/post]​
Now, be fair. We inherited that little arrangement involving the foreign nationals when we acquired some of the Eastern (I think) routes. And, hiring f/as from the particular country was a requirement of flying to/from that country.

I don't know if there is a way to get rid of them. If there is, APFA certainly has never insisted in contract negotiations.

"Although this union debate was started by a sh*t stirring twu supporter, I do want to comment about UK work. I do not believe I have ever seen anyone complain about non routine work or pireps. Point being, the only concerns to date and continue to be are schedule checks that could be done state side. It is obvoius that you would want a mechanic to do an overwater check for the return flight. The concern and not just on this flight is the scheduled A-checks and special items cards being assigned to foreign countries when the plane had ample ground time to be completed state side. These checks being done here would bring back a few of the thousands of layed off AMT's."

SIC's have not been scheduled in the UK for at least 18 months. An A-check is accomplished on one of the overnight aircraft at LHR, for exactly the same reason that you state, it has the available ground time to complete it. Vary rarely, an A-check is called out during the day, usually because of a routing problem or a screw-up by maintenance planning. PS checks are also accomplished, maybe two or three a day, but they don't take any extra manpower to complete and are usually done at the same time as the ETOPS check.

Hopeful said:
Then you should understand that outsourcing should not be swept under the carpet because of good press, new terminals, profits, etc.
International stations have been doing work on AA aircraft for years. Work up to an A CHECK.
[post="284525"][/post]​

Duh. If the aircraft has available ground time, we'd be stupid not to work on it.

I'm still trying to figure out how having AA employees work on an AA aircraft is considered outsourcing.....

AA has about 200 line mechanics in international locations, including LHR, EZE, LGW, CDG, GIG, BOG, FRA, CCS, NRT, MEX, GRU, and PTY just to name a few. They follow the same procedures and receive the same training that any AA mechanic does. If they do an A check, it's no different than if it is done in BOS or LGA, aside from the fact that they're not carrying a TWU card.

AA's flight attendants based in South America are also AA employees. They may be foreign nationals, but they're not outsourced. They follow the same procedures and receive the same training that a BOS or LGA based flight attendant does.

DUH!

There is no pressing need to have A checks done overseas. This way they can reduce maintenance staffing at US locations, whether it be 2 mechanics or 200.

It all started with an A check at most carriers, now NWA, and UAL have thier heavy maintenance done in Asia, having costed thousands of American jobs.

DUH is a pretty intelligent answer when outsourcing is mentioned.

The bottom line is you won't see any airlines' FLIGHT ATTENDANT RANKS OR PILOT RANKS REDUCED BY HALF LIKE NWA AND UAL DUE TO OUTSOURCING!

Another question, how do you feel about aircraft like JETBLUE's being worked on in Central America?

Do you know the security situation in that facility?

Do you know whether or not the background checks were done on Central American mechanics like they are done in this country?

I guess that doesn't concern you!

How about Mexico?
Korea?
El Salvador?

Maybe AA should replace all pilots and flight crews with El Salvadorans, Mexicans, Koreans, Indians, Chinese!

AA's profits woould quadruple!

I do believe the AMTs in Europe and Japan cost AA more than the AMTs in the US. This would lead me to believe that they are doing the "A" checks there not to screw the AA AMTs in the US but simply because the schedule permits it. The UK government was somewhat reluctant to transfer PA authorities to UA and TWAs to AA to begin with. So UA and AA would not even think of telling the UK government that they would not hire all the people there because they definately would not have gotten the routes. Although the AA employees in Latin America cost less than their US counterparts, the governments there permitted AA to obtain the route authorities from EAL and required AA to take the former EAL employees there. Those governments looked out for the well being of those employees which is more than I can say about the US government looking out for airline employees here. Also, most of those employees in foreign countries are represented by their own unions.

Never mind the A checks for now!

What about heavy maintenance sent overseas that cost THOUSANDS of mechanics jobs?

777GUY said:
SIC's have not been scheduled in the UK for at least 18 months. An A-check is accomplished on one of the overnight aircraft at LHR, for exactly the same reason that you state, it has the available ground time to complete it. Vary rarely, an A-check is called out during the day, usually because of a routing problem or a screw-up by maintenance planning. PS checks are also accomplished, maybe two or three a day, but they don't take any extra manpower to complete and are usually done at the same time as the ETOPS check.
[post="284566"][/post]​

I will get the latest numbers for you but the A-checks are on the rise again in South America, along with the SIC's. It seems like when the the"historic" letter of agreement was signed last year, Europe as a whole took the hit for less checks and the lower paid in South/Central America got more checks/SIC's. For the most part, you guys and the rest of Europe combined average about 1 A-check a day. As stated many times before, my problem is when a plane sits on the ground for 16 hours with no check done, flys to South America and gets a A-Check done with less ground time than it had stateside. This happens several times a week, if not daily. And now we are canceling some A-checks that would of been done here and re-scheduling them in South America because when we do a check for a charter outfit. How about recalling some people and do both checks.

jimntx said:
Now, be fair. We inherited that little arrangement involving the foreign nationals when we acquired some of the Eastern (I think) routes. And, hiring f/as from the particular country was a requirement of flying to/from that country.
[post="284526"][/post]​
I realize the FN's go way back to Eastern days, but I can't believe it was ever a requirement by the country flown to. How many American Nationals do we require Lan Chile to hire as a condition for flying here?

I'm all for hiring foreign nationals in countries we fly to. To sell tickets, check people in, load bags, cater airplanes, and all other things that happen on the ground. But we don't need them to actually crew the airplanes, any more than they need us on their aircraft.
I don't know if there is a way to get rid of them. If there is, APFA certainly has never insisted in contract negotiations.
How about don't hire any more and let attrition take care of the problem? Bases could be whittled down as numbers dwindled and flying turned over to us.

my problem is when a plane sits on the ground for 16 hours with no check done, flys to South America and gets a A-Check done with less ground time than it had stateside.

This just doesn't happen. No AA plane sits for 16 hours without mtx work in the states, flies one leg, then sits for another 12 before it turns back around. Doesn't happen, at least not on a regular scheduled basis.

Oneflyer said:
This just doesn't happen. No AA plane sits for 16 hours without mtx work in the states, flies one leg, then sits for another 12 before it turns back around. Doesn't happen, at least not on a regular scheduled basis.
[post="284638"][/post]​

Hey OneFlyer you're back and wrong as always. Hawaii trip gets in daily at 0530 and departs night at 2130. Arrives down south early in the morning next day and departs late at night. Sometimes they use other equipment but that plane always has at least 8 hours on the ground. But hell what do we know, we just sit and stare at the plane daily.

Hawaii trip gets in daily at 0530 and departs night at 2130. Arrives down south early in the morning next day and departs late at night. Sometimes they use other equipment but that plane always has at least 8 hours on the ground. But hell what do we know, we just sit and stare at the plane daily.

you're just making crap up. The 763 to EZE comes in from SFO and the SCL flight comes in from LGW.

No offense, but if AA has 763s that are only flying 8 hours a day, 5.5 of which are on a loser of a hawaii flight this company has a lot more to worry about than outsourcing mechanics. The fact is that no one is going to sit a 763 for 16 hours a day to save on maintenance costs.

Back