JFK Terminal

NYCDelta

Senior
Dec 12, 2006
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I am fortunate to have missed the holiday rush this year, but people I know have been saying that JFK is a mess. Delta is planning all this new flying, and the JFK terminal is in desperate need of a makeover. The old Pan Am "Worldport" has seen better days. I'm wondering what happened to the new JFK terminal that was supposed to be here by now? It's almost insulting that ATL keeps getting refurbished and JFK is so neglected: not enough agents, kiosks breaking down, TSA not letting people through security due to the terminal being at capacity. Are we waiting until after BK or to see who we are going to merge with? Is PHL or EWR any better? I haven't been to either in years.

As is the case with any other Airline, it all boils down to MONEY...They will only spend as little as possible to make cosmetic improvements until the place falls apart..
PHL is a case in point. I haven't been to EWR in years either, but it was and still should be a nicer facilty than JFK.

it would cost too much to do a proper renovation - which would be to tear the entire thing down and start over.

No, the TWA terminal is historic only because of design. The worldport is pretty bland by comparison. The biggest problems with JFK are HVAC & asbestos. At one point before much of the recent expansion I was told that JFK facility cost Delta ~$30 per ticket vs Atlanta at ~$3. The plan to replace it (much like AA has done) was scrapped after 9/11. AA only forged ahead because they had started already and were thus on the hook for much of the cost regardless. DL was able to stop the plan. With the performance of JFK in the tank for so long, there was a lot of debate on whether to close it much like DFW was. Nobody could come to grips with withdrawing from the largest international market in the country and thus ceeding additional LGA/EWR share as a result.

No, the TWA terminal is historic only because of design. The worldport is pretty bland by comparison. The biggest problems with JFK are HVAC & asbestos. At one point before much of the recent expansion I was told that JFK facility cost Delta ~$30 per ticket vs Atlanta at ~$3. The plan to replace it (much like AA has done) was scrapped after 9/11. AA only forged ahead because they had started already and were thus on the hook for much of the cost regardless. DL was able to stop the plan. With the performance of JFK in the tank for so long, there was a lot of debate on whether to close it much like DFW was. Nobody could come to grips with withdrawing from the largest international market in the country and thus ceeding additional LGA/EWR share as a result.

I hope something gets done. I think customers are getting a little frustrated with their JFK "experience". I'm sure it's just gonna have to wait until post-BK, or post-merger, etc.

....Are we waiting until after BK or to see who we are going to merge with? Is PHL or EWR any better? I haven't been to either in years.
CO's terminal at EWR is relatively new and much nicer than JFK. Some of the PHL domestic terminals are in need of refurbishment, which is currently underway in varous phases. The PHL International Terminal (A) is state of the art and only a few years old - much nicer than JFK. IF DL and US merge, probably only one of the two will be made a principal hub.

JFK is abysmal. From a passengers' perspective I avoid it whenever possible, but that is not often enough.

A few weeks ago I had to catch a flight to ORF. The security process was awful and boarding tha airplane was the most ridiculous I've ever seen. We were called to board then sent on our way down to the tarmac with no idea which airplane was ours. No on there to help...ramp workers had no idea either. 30 people wandering around outside like a bunch of lemmings, following one another from plane to plane asking anyone who would respond where the plane to Norfolk was.

Mainline is no better. Crowded waiting areas, poor signage and rude people. A "mess" is too kind a phrase.

DAL should shut it down and start over. I know that is unrealistic, but it is really an awful experience.

I am fortunate to have missed the holiday rush this year, but people I know have been saying that JFK is a mess. Delta is planning all this new flying, and the JFK terminal is in desperate need of a makeover. The old Pan Am "Worldport" has seen better days. I'm wondering what happened to the new JFK terminal that was supposed to be here by now? It's almost insulting that ATL keeps getting refurbished and JFK is so neglected: not enough agents, kiosks breaking down, TSA not letting people through security due to the terminal being at capacity. Are we waiting until after BK or to see who we are going to merge with? Is PHL or EWR any better? I haven't been to either in years.
hey nycdelta. us f/a here. i dont know about ewr, but phl has updated terminals and decent restaurants/ shops. the only problem is the lack of organization and the delays.

Latest posts

Back