JFK: the bag stops here............

Barfbag

Veteran
Oct 30, 2006
Baggage glitch delays American Airlines JFK flights
12:19 p.m. 07/30/2008 Provided by

CHICAGO, July 30 (Reuters) - AMR Corp's (AMR) American Airlines said on Wednesday about 25 flights have been delayed from New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport after the software that controls the baggage sorting conveyor belt malfunctioned.

Workers were sorting bags by hand, but many items were not being put on flights before departure, AMR said in a statement. Delays range from an hour to an hour and a half.

Baggage glitch delays American Airlines JFK flights
12:19 p.m. 07/30/2008 Provided by

CHICAGO, July 30 (Reuters) - AMR Corp's (AMR) American Airlines said on Wednesday about 25 flights have been delayed from New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport after the software that controls the baggage sorting conveyor belt malfunctioned.

Workers were sorting bags by hand, but many items were not being put on flights before departure, AMR said in a statement. Delays range from an hour to an hour and a half.

that was 25 flights at 12:19 pm. A lot more since then. Good thing I picked up that easy trip tomorrow that comes back nice and early. :rolleyes:

I heard it ain't necessarily a mechanical "glitch", but more of "let's follow the letter of the law or rules glitch". I feel so sorry for the passenger and us f/a's on flight, it's a mess! But AA wants to play dirty, we can fight back by following the "rules". You go guys!

I heard it ain't necessarily a mechanical "glitch", but more of "let's follow the letter of the law or rules glitch". I feel so sorry for the passenger and us f/a's on flight, it's a mess! But AA wants to play dirty, we can fight back by following the "rules". You go guys!

I doubt very seriously that was the case, but if you want to take credit for the mess it caused, have at it.
The company will really know you mean business now! :blink:

I doubt very seriously that was the case, but if you want to take credit for the mess it caused, have at it.
The company will really know you mean business now! :blink:

It was a software problem from what fac maint said...

Whatever it is, it is a pain for the pax. I wonder if AA is refunding their $15 bag check in fee?

[problemquote name='LGA Fleet Service' date='Jul 31 2008, 06:38 AM' post='630684']
Local management has been soliciting for day off and up to eight hours of early call to 'help out' at JFK today.
[/quote]

I left out of JFK yesterday bound for London and experienced the mess first hand. The terminal was awash in bags at 7am in the morning..no idea how bad it got after that. We left with only 15 bags and some cargo on a 777. The frustrating thing was that we boarded at the normal time and it was already decided that we were to leave without bags yet we still left the gate out an hour late! I kept looking out the window and saw no activity anywhere on the ground. The whole ground area in JFK is such an inefficient, sloppy, mismanaged mess. I don't know wheather it is the employees or the managers. Wheather it be uncleaned airplanes...last week my flight to Paris was uncleaned at 5pm for a 550pm departure(the plane had arrived at 145pm). We consistantly don't have crews to guide us into the gate. We consistantly board the pax on time yet have to wait for the pilot PA.."Well, we are ready to go up here but just waiting for them to finish up some last minute work closing the cargo doors". Strollers aren't delivered on a timely basis. I've seen cleaners sleeping on the airplane..literally while everyone else were working. Somebody that works the ramp at JFK please tell me what the problem is.

[problemquote name='LGA Fleet Service' date='Jul 31 2008, 06:38 AM' post='630684']
Local management has been soliciting for day off and up to eight hours of early call to 'help out' at JFK today.

I left out of JFK yesterday bound for London and experienced the mess first hand. The terminal was awash in bags at 7am in the morning..no idea how bad it got after that. We left with only 15 bags and some cargo on a 777. The frustrating thing was that we boarded at the normal time and it was already decided that we were to leave without bags yet we still left the gate out an hour late! I kept looking out the window and saw no activity anywhere on the ground. The whole ground area in JFK is such an inefficient, sloppy, mismanaged mess. Somebody that works the ramp at JFK please tell me what the problem is.

Kennedy is a mess. I thought it would get better with the new terminal. It went from bad to awful.

Whatever the problem is, they need to fix it. Whether it is management, workers, lack of workers, they should get it together. My theory is management has no backbone. Look at the way they run JFK ops.

My flight cancelled today. I'm kind of glad, especially that it happened on the lst 5 days of the month. :up:

More bonuses for management for doing such an excellent job. A few more bonuses and AA can close the doors and call it a job well done . . . . would have been ok except for those lazy workers.

jersey777,

I'm SURE your aware of the Old saying............."The BUCK stops HERE", meaning MANAGEMENT, but to be fair with the Kennedy local Management,...............THEY Only get their "marching orders" from...HDQ.

After all these DECADES,............you'd think those Texas CLOWNS would understand, that those NYC Boys, "WILL NOT run around, like chickens with their heads cut off" to get the job done, with FAR LESS, as (say) another HUGE Hub will :down:

It will be V E R Y ...Interesting to see, with all the confusing going on NOW, at Kennedy, just how much they will RIF, because of the autumn domestic capacity cuts.

I'm "guessing" that MAYBE, the Cubicle CLOWNS in HDQ, will re-evalute there original plan.

Can't say, that they have not been WARNED (with a Wink and a NOD)

(Hmmm, I seem to remember that TWU local-501 just got NEW anti-TWU leadership :up: :up: :up: