John Shultz.....50 Years

hlcptr

Nov 13, 2003
For those who have had the pleasure of knowing and working with John over the years in this industry, John celebrates 50 years of flying on December 4. A remarkable achievement and a great guy.

......and a great CP and there are many, many other 'legends' concerning John also. If John should read this.......I'm sorry John, but I just couldn't resist throwing that in there.......and wipe that smirk off of your face. :lol:

I wonder if "John" remembers how the cargo pod for the 500 was certified for carrying bodies.

Cheers, Don

PS: JS was the only guy to replace me on a job.

Blackmac ------let's not "go there" with this man or I'll be rolling in the aisles real quick......and you know exactly what I mean. The name alone, can put a smirk on my face. :lol: :lol: :lol: I TRIED to replace John on a job, but between the flying and all the other "extra-curricular" stuff, I didn't measure up in any category.........but it was a lot of fun trying. :lol: :lol:

Ya Don it was only a short trip and I'm sure he was asleep for most of it!!! It may have been more fun to have put Larry in there also!!!

John was very insrumental in getting me my first job, although my first day was one I will never never forget. John, Larry, Earl, myself and the accountant I think. add a couple of 40's of Capt Morgan and you have a very intresting mix... anyhow I digress. Good luck John and better luck to Donna she deserves it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

remembering some of the best times ever

twitch

Blackmac ------- My recently delivered Vortex also tells me that John and I lost our old boss earlier this year. I'll assume you knew beause you're much closer. How can someone like that pass on and get hardly any mention from within the industry?

Cap, you would have to be yours, John's and my age to remember guys like Jack Flemming and Ernie Grant. As mentioned before I met Ernie in Knob Lake, Mid-Canada line in 1956.

Jack I got to know a little later on when I was hosting the hospitality suite at the Prospectors Convention at the Royal York. We always kept a spare room for him.

It's to bad some of the original guys from the industry are not still around.

I met Ernie and Jack again in, I think 74, when I went to King City on behalf of Okie, when we did the takeover of Dom-Peg.

Those were the better days of the industry, people were'nt so paranoid.

Cheers, Don

PS: Twitch, just who are you???????

King City?

Hell you guys are all newbies, how about Barker field?

Is John still flying? and can he still fly a B47?

Chas. W.

Chuck ------ thanks for calling me a "newbie". I haven't been called that since Christ was a Lance Corporal in the Salvation Army. You made my day, you 'ol fart.

John was last flying FO for Canadian in Ont. some time ago. I understand that they wanted him to go Capt. and he turned it down saying he was just happy to stay where he was.

I don't think G4's on floats are allowed to land on hangar roofs anymore, so it might be well if John stayed where he is. :lol: :lol:

Yes John is still co-piloting on the 76 in Toronto.

We will have a story on John in an upcoming issue of Vertical. :up:

Vertical Mag ------how are you going to squeeze all that into one issue of Vertical?........come on now!! :lol: :lol: I'm chucking already and can't wait. :lol: Seriously though....."good on ya" for doing it while he's breathing and someone can still toast a drink to him in his presence.....and they bloody well better.

HH were lucky to get some great drivers on their product back in those days. Tony Brown and Bobby Ough, for example, but Schultzie and Bob McCord took back seats to no-one. Agree with you, Cap, that I couldn't hold my sides together if half the stories I know were to be told again. Let's just hope Mike Reyno takes it easy on us.

Guess i'm still a rookie. I didn't start work with Dominion until 1971. Turned wrenches for Bobby ough many times & had the pleasure of being evicted from some pretty good watering holes with him. met many a person who refused to ride with Schultzie when he was flyin a 500 during the CNE airshows in Toronto.

ABC... You are an an old fart in my opinion, I started at Dominion in 1972.

:elvis: :elvis:

Let's not forget that John was a pretty good 'scribe' in his own right and wrote many a fine article for the old "Canadian Aviation" magazine. After awhile people just associated the CNE, John, the 500 and the 360's altogether. Somebody should get the 'ol fart's butt onto this website so we can have some fun........no women or booze allowed though. :lol: :lol:

abc/Elvis ------ if you are old enough to remember Murray Barons, Boughner, Porco and Rod Crossley, then you qualify as 'oldies'.

Back