John Shultz.....50 Years

abc ---- didn't know that and that's sad. I got along great with Jacques, both before he flew and afterwards. Considering his previous background, I was always amazed that he was still alive anyway.

Cap:

Sorry, Sir, I didn't have the pleasure of meeting Doc nor Mac. I do recall hearing their names though. Never taken in vain either.

Last time I saw Lockie was pretty well along the same time frame as you. Probably closer to late 92 or the summer of 93. I was running the wires and cutting the hole in the belly of a 76 to hook up a Bambi bucket with Lockie and Dave. And lookin after the 61, contract style.

I knew Lockie was the Chief Wrench bender. Dave later moved into QA for Cougar. Bob C. was the Director type. That would have been probably around 94. At that time I was employed by another government operator (?) as Chief Wrench bender.

I miss Dave. Never was in a "good" mood, except when surrounded by his grand kids, but one of the best mechs, and friends I ever had. Both he and Lockie have forgotten more than I'll ever know, about machines and living life!

I believe Lockie went over to Thailand as the Chief Mech for Cougar 'off-shore." This would have been when JJ had a notion he just might give the Cod father a run at the off-shore dealings.

I don't have much contact with anybody down that way. So to be honest, I have no idea of who is doing whom, so to speak.

Nice to hear them thought of, I do appreciate you bring up Lockie. Great person, mechanic, and not to shabby at parting either! :up: I sure do hope he's doing well.

Culture comes in many different varities. Some are High class, some are low class, some are just down right great for life. I'm partial to the latter! ;)

It's like stating that "I have my standards" Well, if ya don't like these, I do have others!! :D :D

For those interested... Lauchie Currie is just fine and still in YHZ, but no longer directly related to the Cougar/VIH web thingy, marriage, whatever! He has his own AMO now and both of his son's are chips off the ole' block. Lauchie has taught me volumes about aviation over the years and how not to break the machine and how to bail yourself out when you do! :oops: Thx Lauchie! :up:

Terry Maybee is another ex Cougar....engineer as of late...raw deal, 'nuff said :down: who also taught me plenty. He sure knows the 61 inside and out and when someone refers to that machine as a "MAYTAG" you can bet he's part of the team maintaining it! Onto greener pastures I hope! ;) Thx Terry! :up:

Dave Rankin...rest his soul, was one of the first engineers I encountered when I started in this industry :shock: ...and he scared the livin bejezuz out of me. He had me seriously considering my choice of professions :blink: After I learned to bark back at him things were good :p
He was a man that was very particular about his scotch and even more particular about the Pilots that flew the machine he maintained...I think he coined the phrase "and don't f-ing break it Colonel" :shock:

John Shultz...I only met him once in '91, while taking my training thru Canadian @ the Kelly Lk. base in Sudbury. He landed in a 205, and after I found out who he was, it was like he was a GOD, to a younger and very impressionable 100hr wonder. He took the time to speak to all of us there at the time and heard tales of 500's and such. :up:

What's that saying he use to say .... .... .... .... and the shiny side up?

C II:

Thanks for the update! I was doing the "hunt and Pecker" thingy same time you were.

Great to hear Locki's doing o.k. Any body doing business with hime will get a square deal, and top notch maintenance. He's probably still got 12 pounds of files in his box he scrounged off me!

Geez, I haven't heard anybody speak that expression of dave's since i last worked with him! Yessir, that was Dave! Scared the livinbejasus outa a truckload of youngsters!

Again Thanks for the update!, Preshaded.

BR

LMAO...that's why Lauchie is always so damn particular about those friggin files. He leaves his box open for use, but he always has this glitch about his files....now I know! :lol:

CII:

That's probaly it! Fer Gawd's sake, if he do let ya use a file, always ask him how to use the file card to clean 'em.

Wanna really dive him snakey, grap a file, a file cards and start rubbing the file card across it wrong!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bahahahaha...it's been done!

If you ever see Lauchie with that "look" :angry: in his eye and he starts to roll his sleeves up...be afraid, be very afraid and run like hell! :shock:

ROTFLMFAO!!

Yeah! Saw that look when that young conehead (avionocs) guy from Cougar helped himself to one of Lockie's files. The tall skinny fella with the dark hair.

I thought Lockie scared him so badly he was gonna wet himself.

Ya know, he never again would touch ANYTHING in Lockie's tool box!!

:D :D

What's the name of Lauchie's AMO and where's his butt parked anyway?....and thanks for the updates guys.

BR ---- Mac Gordon 'bought it' in '69 on a hill just north of Baie Comeau, PQ and Doc had a heart-attack at the controls of an Otter in northern Manitoba about the same time. I was back flying F/W at the time and just happened to over-fly the lake he went into minutes after. He went into a nice shallow descent, she greased herself onto the lake, and lazily flipped over. I found nothing but the floats on the surface and his 'swamper sitting on top of one.

Shared a meal on a couple of occaisions with Shultzy.
What an incredible guy. He defys the sterotype of the CHL EMS pilot. He was always welcoming to us Kiwi's and Aussies and is always quick with a smoke and grin at the door.
On behalf of Scotty and myself and all the other lads from downunder: bottoms up to you JS.
Truely a legend.

This one time at bandcamp in TO; I snuck into the island at night in a raging blizzard (unforecast as usual - cheers quebec awws..) and there is Shultzy and Craig just pulling in the 76.
Shultzy sees me running for the door and shouts:
"What the #### are you flying around in this #### for?" followed by a massive grin.
"#### Shultzy! I could ask you the same thing. What the #### is all this white stuff? So bloody much of it that I had to leave at night so I couldn't see it..."
Shultzy howls and elaborates that they had the same issue coming in from Kingston.

Shultzy never took anything seriously there and would stand around muttering "lets just go #### flying" as the WX check is done for the umpteenth time by another paranoid captain. Gotta laugh.

To sum up JS. You pull up to TO in a thunderstorm, he is the guy running the truck out to help you pull the machine in while the others stand and watch. Humbling considering who he is.

....now if he kicked the fags, he might be the first to do 60 years!

Onya John. Gimme a call and come chase some cows in a 47. :)

Steve76 ------- that's all John and he's that way because that's the industry he grew up in. He ain't one to hang around if you are some sort of 'prima donna either and think pilots shouldn't have to do certain things.

John "chasing cows?" Nahhhh, I won't 'go there' on second thought. :lol: :lol:

abc said:
To Cap & Twitch & helidude
Unfortunately, jaques maheu took his own life in the early 80s in Sept-Iles PQ
Jacques was a good friend of mine, stayed at his place a few times....pretty impressive with his collection of artifacts from his Viking days in Africa. I was very sad to see him part. He never took anything too seriously and I loved flying with him, slinging out of Quebec in his cut-off shorts, muscle-shirt and flip-flops, cigar, and the headset on the seat beside him driving the controllers mad.

My first job in the industry was chasing around Steady Eddie's 205 with a pickup as he chased fires in Ontario with parts or buckets that got left behind, then when I'd catch up to him I'd be sent on the inevitable "beer run".

As for John, I only knew him as I flew opposite shifts in Toronto in the early nineties. Great guy....quite a few Captains were intimidated by flying with such a legend.

Hey Chevy,

Whats on the G O.

Davy J says hi, he is busy puking after his last sim and can not get to the keyboard to type himself.

Heard today we may be hiring another four drivers in January, you going to come over to the dark side, or wa?

CAP, either your memory is screwed or mine is.

Mid-Canada line 1957, Spartan Air Services.

I had already been thier in 56, after a four month tour in the Arctic on board the HMCS Labrador with two 47G's on floats and a HUP-3.

Without going into any records the crew that I remember on the Mid-Canada line was as follows, out of the seventeen crew that was thier, thirteen was ex-Navy.

Larry Camphaug, Joe Sangamino, Jerry Fletcher, Jack Paquette, John Kowalski, Ray LePage, Mac Gordon, Shorty Ferguson, Nels Bentley, Doc Demerha, Bill "Red" Smith, John Linden, are the ones that I remember off the top of me head.

January the eight'th 1958, Doc, John Linden, myself as crew and one pax sitting in the mid section of the Vertol H21.
After overniting at the US base in Hopedale we set out on a beautiful CAVU, but cold day to land at the first site on the way back to Knob Lake. Ten minutes after take-off from that site (303) and at about 1000' ag the 21 went vertical or down on it's tail, then proceeded to go over on it's back, collective was dropped, cyclic was moved all over the cockpit to no avail. The helicopter was on it's side going down in an arc, proceeded to hit the top of a knoll, roll down hill for about forty feet, split in two, the pax was thrown out, the helicopter caught on fire, the cockpit and instrument panel was completely destroyed, Doc was thrown out seat and all and broke a bone, small one, in his right leg. I was still in the cocpit in my seat, but upside down. Doc got me down and stood me up in front of the burning machine in a snow bank and gave me a shove and told me to get away from the machine. He, "Doc", tried to get John Linden out thru the cockpit entrance but was unable. Thanks to our "Angels" the aircraft's emergency door could be opened and Doc pulled John out that way.

We lost or "SARAH" beacon, but we were on a flight plan and Shorty Ferguson flew right over the top of us that afternoon and never saw us, the aircraft was not painted, it had it's original aluminum finish.

We or should I say Doc found our verry pistol with one cartridge in the snow, two sleeping bags and a five gallon can of oil. The pax was in shock and was completely useless.

John Linden had punctured a main artery to his heart, Doc had a broken bone in his right leg, I had a severe concussion (smashed the right side of my helmet) on the upper fwd xmsn. They originally thought I had a broken right leg, but found out later that I had to puncture marks about six inch's in depth that had torn the ligaments. We found all this out later in the hospital in Goose.

The night we spent out it was -44 degrees F.

We all had heavy boots and clothes and during the night John kicked of his right boot. John lost his right leg just below the knee joint and half of the other foot.

All this was told to me later on as I have very little recollection.

The one cartridge and fire led them to us the next day.

I was flown by Lancaster to the Royal Vic in Montreal, for a spinal tap and ultra sound.

John always had a memory of the accident in his mind, we had celebrated his birthday the day before in the officers mess in Hopedale.
----------

Mac Gordon was flying a B47G4A from Northern Wings with I believe one or two Pax. He had landed in a tight spot and touched the tail rotor on something.
The pax did thier work, Mac had checked the T/R and shafting and deemed it safe for take-off. Mac either forgot or didn't know about the shear pin in the knuckle joint. I believe he was the only one killed.

--------------

Doc Demerha died at the controls of a Bell47G4A on floats, he had a heart attack and remained fixed on the controls and gently flew into the lake, his pax was to big and could not fasten a two person seat belt and was thrown clear.

The Mid-Canada line contract was taken over by Dom-Peg and I believe John Schultz added the Vertol H21 to his list of endorsements.

Memory Lane, Cheers Don

Back