John Shultz.....50 Years

Don :

Are you a member of the Moravian Mission from your days in Hopedale? Or did you spend all your spare time up the hill at the radar site?

Chas. W.

Blackmac -------I mis-spoke about Doc and I can only guess that the reason was that three were found that day in similar circumstances and I stumbled onto two of them......and I wasn't even looking or knew anything was happening(that was Lambair). You are correct and the Otter one I mentioned was an exact duplicate and also the exact same circumstances.....both with a survivor sitting on a float.....my "onset Alzeimers" I guess :lol: .

I knew "Stretch" real well, great engineer and worked the Arctic lots with him.......and his absolute hatred of bears. Larry I only knew from meeting him at the "watering hole" at Bell's Corners; Joe I met when he was the Bell rep for Eastern Canada; Mac I had flown with before and it was Nick Cote that told me that all that was left of Mac was pieces of vertebrae after the crash when we landed in the same spot...and yeah, he was the only one; Shorty Ferguson and Nels I knew also, although Nels I got to know a lot better years later. Doc was 'outta my league' on many different fronts, so we didn't associate that much until I made an "interesting" flight with him from Georgia across to Freeport one time . After doing 'Nam' I thought I'd been trained extremely well in the art of holding one's liquor well, but I wasn't even a 'contenda" compared to most of that crowd.....and in some other 'areas' as well. :lol: You, I haven't mentioned because I only met you once and still say you look funny with your hulking mass sitting in a 500. :lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist that.

I assume there was a flight control problem that caused that crash?

SARAH beacons and I didn't get along so here's a middle digit to them. :D

CAP: Methinks you are getting me confused with somebody else, back in those days I was just under six feet and weighed in at 165-170 lbs.

Schultz and I were about the same build, I gave him my nomex flight suit when he replaced me in Manitouage after I broke my back by dumping an L-1 in the lake on take-off, 1987.

The 1958 crash was caused by a broken cable to the rear head.

The same thing had happened to a military machine in the US, two weeks prior, the a/c was flying higher and when the machine came to the bottom of the arc just above water the pilot tried to get it near shore, but it went into the water, everybody survived. Transport was aware of it, but never notified us. We found out the hard way that the machine was very hard on cables. The military never had the problem because they never used the a/c to max gross on a daily basis.

Charles: The mission was in Northwest River. Pilots used to go in there with winter growth on and come out in the Fall with quite a bit of weigth loss, servicing some thirty nurses.

Cheers, Don

Blackmac ----- my meeting you would have been circa '70 or something like that....with you waering a flight suit and vest. Everybody was tall to me after working with Nuttall. :lol:

-------I think John was better looking than you though. That was probably because he didn't own a tool box maybe. :lol:

-----ahhhh yes, the Nursing Stations. :lol: :lol:

Cap; Nuttall is that as in Brian Nuttall. If it is, he's quite the chap as well. Saw him this summer at his place of work. Hasn't changed much in the past 20 +yrs. Picked up our conversation as if yesterday - laughs, leg pulling etc ....

Biggles -----got the PM. It was just a bunch of normal guys.

So Nuttall hasn't changed eh? ..........oh boy! :lol: :lol:

Cap: Precisely what I was getting at, nothing much normal 'bout'em today !! Say does a Hans Krause ring a bell ??

Biggesl --- sure does and the last I heard of him was about '74 -'76 and someone told me that he was in Africa working for Schreiner or somebody......off-shore anyway.

Back