just worked 767 tail number N248AY

etops1

Veteran
Dec 6, 2003
the new business class seats are very dissapointing. no space between seats and they are to narrow. passengers are complaining that they are uncomfortable. the new falt screens are to small. the picture quality is good though. they failed to put mini screens at row 12 bulkhead exitrow. so you still have to strain to watch the movie. i will post pics and a short video i did once i get home. i am in bru right now . i think that the seats are too big for the cabin it looks to cluttered . if you are tall and are sitting in row 2 and 3 you are screwed as there is no space for legroom and baggage. you will have a difficult time rolling your bags down the aisle because it's to narrow. i can see people damaging the asthetics really soon with bags. anyway, gotta go. in bru having a great time .
etops

Thanks for the info, even if it is a bit disappointing. Maybe they'll get it right the second or third time around. Have fun in Brussels!

the new business class seats are very dissapointing. no space between seats and they are to narrow. passengers are complaining that they are uncomfortable. the new falt screens are to small. the picture quality is good though. they failed to put mini screens at row 12 bulkhead exitrow. so you still have to strain to watch the movie. i will post pics and a short video i did once i get home. i am in bru right now . i think that the seats are too big for the cabin it looks to cluttered . if you are tall and are sitting in row 2 and 3 you are screwed as there is no space for legroom and baggage. you will have a difficult time rolling your bags down the aisle because it's to narrow. i can see people damaging the asthetics really soon with bags. anyway, gotta go. in bru having a great time .
etops

well, then where is the dimension going? If the seats are too narrow and the aisles are too narrow and there aren't more seats, where are the missing inches?

You would think they could spend a little money here. We are not exactly crisscrossing the globe with a huge armada of widebodies.

We have TEN 767s. NINE A330s. A handful of ETOPS 757s.

How many international flights a day do we have? At our peak, maybe 23 departures?

They can't spend a little money on this small part of the operation with huge revenue potential? To at least put it on par with even the worst of the other five carriers? Why do we always have to be so embarrassing? Just hire someone who knows something about international service instead of letting Kevin "Put on a jacket and it's business" Jackson let loose with jinky meal carts full of Texas Toast. What did they do, walk over to the Twin Palms IHOP and come back feeling worldly?

Wolf knew that US Airways didn't have much game in the international market. They had, and still have, the least service of any of the majors, with a dodgy gateway airport at best. What they did have was the largest presence on the east coast, where two thirds of transatlantic passengers originate. He revamped the brand as a sharp business carrier, a global minded short haul airline for frequent business travelers in the busy east coast cities. He was smart to order a new widebody fleet, with three cabins that each were ahead of the competition, and work out plans for a state of the art international terminal. US needed a leg up if they were to be taken seriously in a worldwide sense.

The skort crowd will come on with the lame assertion that lay flat seats and Dom Perignon on twenty planes drove the carrier to bankrupcy. US's near death was the result of the famous "There is no Plan B" after the unconsumated United Airlines merger. Years and resources had been spent molding US into the missing piece of UAL's pie. No backup plan, combined with 9/11 and the war put US on the death bed. Not complimentary wine, or closets, or legroom, or F/As presenting a meal rather than schlepping it off a cart. If you believe that you are a moron.

Tempe's idea is, let's turn a business airline with a business route structure into a cheapo leisure airline like our Phoenix and Las Vegas airline- what's the difference! The international routes seem like an afterthought in their mind. This is especially disturbing considering they are the highest source of revenue, where all of the other majors are focusing, the only part not exposed to true LCC competition, and are key to any consolidation that may be considered. Not to mention they have the benefit of operating in Open Skies, with opportunities that were unavailable before. You would think this is what they'd be focusing on.

But no, Texas Toast and seats that were state of the art when Kurt Cobain was alive, all priced in line with US and foreign competition.

But what do I know, I'm just a flight attendant who actually WORKS these flights and knows these customers better than anyone sitting in Arizona.

Wait, you know who agrees with me? The customers here and overseas who have given us the title of Worst Airline.

You know who else agrees? The other majors, who you want and need to merge with so desperatly. Yeah, the new US Airways is a real winner.

We have added more international flights and we are fixing your crappy old planes and somehow it is all worse??
Give me a freakin break!

We have added more international flights and we are fixing your crappy old planes and somehow it is all worse??
Give me a freakin break!

You just DO NOT GET IT do you?

You should fly the competition some time....the America's Worst way of doing things is NEVER going to be worth the top dollar "the new US" is asking for it's product....

What's more....the product is being marketed as "low fare, full service." It is not. CO is lower cost, more service...and they kick US Airways sorry a$$es all over the air....as does DL and UA.

Look, the HP way of doing things worked for a small, regional carrier (or did it? I know LOTS of Phoenicians who prefer WN)...but it isn't going to fly against real airlines. REAL airlines. REAL....as in, full service airlines...that are REAL airlines.

It blows my mind when I read someone who just does not get it...you CLEARLY need to get out of the sand box and come fly where real airlines fly...and see what real airlines do when they fly.

Heck...they shrink the Biz cabin from 24 to 18 seats....BECASUE PEOPLE WANT TO BUY IT?!?!?

What the hell else does one need to see to understand the kids in the sand box are clueless, don't care about the product and don't expect ANYONE to buy it?

I wish I could say "No way! I'm shocked!!!"

Then again, I'm not....I've been ripped off 1 too many times by this pretend operation....

As I've said before...it's worth 5 or 6 cents per mile...not a penny more.

Give me a freakin break!
Well listen here DIRT BAG "YOU" aren't fixing $#!t but your peeps sure as he!! are coming in and destroying what little bit of decency was left!!! Even the worst looking and oldest 737-300 N371AU in the skies is years nicer than the newest A320 ending in AW!!! And who the he!! is "WE"?????? and please with crappy old planes, I certainly hope you aren't trying to convince anyone that the infamous "diarrhea tie" crowd with walking shorts and danskos is sprucing this place up. Because if you are you need to mosey right on over to LA and crawl up in the bed next to Britney Spears.

Why should the 767 be exempt from the incompetent changes coming from Tempe? They have screwed up EVERY east aircraft in the fleet. Have ANY of these changes been positive in anyone's view? These kiddies from the sandbox just don't have a clue about anything when it comes to service, comfort or amenities. When all of the competition is upgrading and improving their business class our fools in charge go the other direction and shrink our premium class size and they believe they are making a positive step and actually making upgrading easier with 6 fewer seats. I guess it's kind of like keeping upgrading opportunities the same on the A330 and A321 by reducing premium seats by 12 and 10. They still think that people won't pay for premium service. That is partially correct , they won't pay for premium service on US , but they certainly will on everyone else. All our competitors seem to little difficulty filling their premium cabins AND actually having people PAY for it. Isn't it about time we get some adults to run this place? They have the MIDAS TOUCH IN REVERSE Everything they touch turns to crap. And a reply to Upnaway Our airplanes were not crappy until the west got their hands on them . Have you seen the condition of most of the west planes? Have you been on any of the west 757's? Talk about dogs of the fleet. Isn't it time we IMPROVED our standards? , rather than just accept what the west has imposed on the east. Their credo of "If it wasn't for low standards , we'd had no standards at all" is just not the way to make things better. When they were just competing against Southwest that might have been ok , but not anymore. Tempe needs to remember that they are now playing in the BIG LEAGUES , not sandlot .

What's the seat width compared to the old ones? I don't understand how the cabin can look more cluttered than before if there are fewer seats. Maybe they should remove one from each center to make it a 2x1x2 config. That's what AA did when they had their "coffin" lie flat seats up front in the 767-300s a few years back (they are coming back to the front of their 762's, BTW)

What's the seat width compared to the old ones? I don't understand how the cabin can look more cluttered than before if there are fewer seats. Maybe they should remove one from each center to make it a 2x1x2 config. That's what AA did when they had their "coffin" lie flat seats up front in the 767-300s a few years back (they are coming back to the front of their 762's, BTW)
the problem is that the unit that the seats are in are too bulky and have alot going on . that's why it looks so cluttred and that's why they could only fit 18 seats instead of 24. and piney thanks for the heads up on the beer. byt the way. i think i am working 248 back tomorrow or maybe other planes have been done. the bookings show the config with 17 seats upfront. oh , i forgot to say . handing out and picking up the portable video players is bit of a pain but i wil take that anytime over the old system. we will get use to it. all in all , i am happy that the company did address the 767 issue. could they have done a better job? absolutely.

just saw that i will have the old style envoy seats tomorrow.

The seat width is noticeably smaller than the old seats with hardly any room to wiggle around in them. The "seat pods" have 2 seats in them and in my opinion the cabin is not wide enough to support 3 "seat pods" accross. When you walk on board the a/c the seats look like they don't belong on there it's a strange look. The other problem I noticed is that the floor level emergency lighting a/c left had to be moved farther out in to the aisle because the "seat pods" took up too much space. The floor lighting strip is in the direct traffic of the aisle for people to walk over with their luggage not to mention the caterers transporting carts to/from the back of the a/c to cater. Catering has been notified to use the 1R door to cater these A/C and to cater the mid galleys from the rear of the a/c to avoid damaging the floor level lighting. The other thing that I've already noticed in less than a week was that the pods that surround the seats are of a cheap plastic that are already scuffed/scratched from carts be it catering or F/A's.....with the floor level lighting strip located out soo far in the aisle, you cannot roll a cart down the aisle without it being out of balance and that may be what's causing the scuffing of the seat pods.

I was on the plane a few days ago with engineering and maintenance supervisors and that was the first thing that they noticed was already going to have to be changed. I brought up the fact the starting in April the F/A's will be standing on the floor strip lighting with carts to do the new envoy service, they just shook their heads in amazement! I wish they had gone to the 2-1-2 seating that a/c originally had back in the late 80's, it would have made a world of difference! I now wish all they had done to the original first class/envoy seats was just replace the covers on them......they would have been more comfortable than these new ones!

I also noticed that as of right now with the new video system onboard.....which is a definite improvement in clarity....aside from the fact that the screens are too small (32" flat panels) for C-Zone passengers seated too far back to comfortably see......you cannot turn off just the one A-Zone screen inflight without turning off the C-Zone screen.....so right now the A-Zone screen must remain on during the night on the T/A crossing, some F/A's have told us they have thrown blankets over the screen to hide the light/glare! LOL It is going to be addressed soon though.

All in all, I think that more consideration and thought should have gone into this "new" product, but then again, that isn't the NORM for Tempe. The one thing that suprised me the most was that when this plane debuted in PHL for the first time, it was treated like it was just another day at the office....no big deal! In the past, we would have seen the CEO, VP, and all executives out there to see the "New" product. I was thoroughly disappointed but yet not suprised with the kids from Tempe.

Latest posts

Back