Knockout Game

People argue that taxes are too high but have no compulsion to sending an 18 year old (or older... :p ) kid to the slammer for being busted with weed, ruining his future earning prospects as well..
The 18 year old (or older… :p) made a choice to take the risk of going to jail. I do not feel sorry for someone because they decided to make a choice when they knew the consequences beforehand.
Our crime punishment (not rehab) structure is out of whack.
It sure is. We let people go to a place where they have three meals a day, medical care, workout facilities, and cable TV for murder, rape, and child molestation.
I'd rather spend my tax dollars on education and rehab rather than incarceration. But that's just me.
I bet the criminals rather you spend your tax dollars on education and rehab rather than incarceration as well. That way they can do the crime but not do the time.
IMHO, violent crimes should be the 'most' punitive we can have.
I agree.

We have a lot of garbage building up in our prison system. It is time to take out the trash.

xUT said:
Agree as well.  The kid is broken.  My understanding is he has had prior DUI's and it seems he has never been held accountable.  Were he from parent who were less affluent (Who the hell can afford rehab at $400k a year?).  From what I have read the parents never acknowledged that he had a problem or tried to get him help.  Now we have 4 dead people and a kid who's life is screwed up (in all likelihood) for the rest of his life.  

Nothing good here.  The judge needs a cranialrectalotomy.  

xUT said:
Yep, the system is broken. There are many problems and no one agrees on solutions. People argue that taxes are too high but have no compulsion to sending an 18 year old (or older... :p ) kid to the slammer for being busted with weed, ruining his future earning prospects as well..
Bingo.

...And those same people will be paying for him one way or another for decades.

I'd rather spend my tax dollars on education and rehab rather than incarceration.
But that's just me.
Nope. Me too.

xUT said:
We had a pretty spirited discussion on this one in the break room the other day. The consensus definitely leaned toward mom & dad needing to be at least somewhat accountable.

La Li Lu Le Lo said:
The 18 year old (or older… :p) made a choice to take the risk of going to jail. I do not feel sorry for someone because they decided to make a choice when they knew the consequences beforehand.
All well and good, but that's an ethics discussion. The bigger question should be what crimes do we want to actually incarcerate people for? That kid smoking weed? I don't wanna pay for him to be in county.That's simply not an efficient use of our tax dollars. And to be honest, I think alcohol has the potential to be much more destructive.

It sure is. We let people go to a place where they have three meals a day, medical care, workout facilities, and cable TV for murder, rape, and child molestation.
Well cruel and unusual punishment is in play there as far as food/shelter goes. As for TV? well, I guess that's something people need to push against if they don't want it.

I bet the criminals rather you spend your tax dollars on education and rehab rather than incarceration as well. That way they can do the crime but not do the time.
...Or never do the crime at all...

We have a lot of garbage building up in our prison system. It is time to take out the trash.
...Or just clear out who doesn't really need to be there in order to make sure there'll always be room for those that do...

http://news.yahoo.com/mother-arrested-christmas-day-killing-teen-daughter-004739841--abc-news-topstories.html

Are you in favor of rehab and education for this person?

How about these people? Every one of them has had prior murder or assault charge. Every one of them is a repeat offender.

http://www.examiner.com/article/man-accused-of-beating-adrian-peterson-s-son-has-prior-domestic-abuse-indictment (killed a 2 year old baby, has a history of domestic violence)
http://www.wmctv.com/story/23746285/man-accused-of-burn (burned girlfriend to death, has prior murder conviction)
http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/san-francisco-man-accused-of-murder-has-prior-homicide-conviction/Content?oid=2605995 (shot roommate, has prior homicide conviction)
http://www.macon.com/2013/10/22/2732435/man-charged-with-murder-in-econo.html (charged with murder in Econo Lodge shooting, has prior felonies)
http://www.plamerican.com/news/public_safety/man-arrested-in-shakopee-for-iowa-murder/article_b732ade4-2685-5e2c-9745-01736c05b8d5.html (has been arrested multiple times for domestic abuse and then murder)
http://myfoxspokane.com/news/local-news/story/first-khq-two-people-arrested-murder-hop-both-have-prior-felony-convictions (two people arrested for murder, both have prior felonies)

What should we do with them, give them a chance to kill or assault again? Do you think the taxpayers should be on the hook to maintain these people?

LaLi--

I think you're missing the point here. Everyone is agreeing with you on the need to keep those sorts of people behind bars once convicted. Where our paths split is that you seem to want to lock everyone up regardless of offense, while at least a couple of us see locking non-violent offenders up for long periods as a waste of tax dollars...

Reactions: 1 person
Kev3188 said:
LaLi--

I think you're missing the point here. Everyone is agreeing with you on the need to keep those sorts of people behind bars once convicted. Where our paths split is that you seem to want to lock everyone up regardless of offense, while at least a couple of us see locking non-violent offenders up for long periods as a waste of tax dollars...
+1

I can't speak first hand as I have never been in the slammer, never visited one, have no friends and/or relatives in one.
My Pastor visits quite often and doesn't paste the 'club med' picture at all.

Absolutely, there are some prisons better than others, but I think I'll pass on a visit... :p

Google "California prison overcrowding", click on images, man, that's worse than living in a Quonset hut.

california2.jpg

prison-overcrowding.jpg

No doubt, some of the people deserve this, but not all.

JMHO,
B) xut

P.S.
Didn't see a TV.

You don't get it xUT. All of them are guilty, deserve what they get, and should be taken out with the trash. Look at them living the high life with three meals, tv, and workout gear.

I have no problem with those convicted with constitutional due process commitng violent crimes, doing the time. But the three strikes law and the "war on drugs" is a dismal failure in policy. It has cost us billions.

I would bet that 70% of those in that picture are there for a drug crime. The war on drugs is working well. I am sure that La Li Lu is more than willing to sacrifice them. Why not just have shorter sentences, or executions, with no appeal process? That would help (unless you are innocent) but hey, who cares, I am sure you did something wrong at some time or another anyway.

Heck, why not guilty when arrested, then prove yourself innocent. After all, most there "have a rap sheet".

Reactions: 3 people
Not to mention the fact that the prisons are profit centers who help grease the system to get inmates.  We have prosecuters who are more concerned with conviction rates as opposed to justice.  Eyewitness accounts are notoriously unreliable.

The amount of money wasted on putting people away who probably should not be any where near a prison is probably staggering.  The 'law and order' crowd needs to wake up and smell the roses.

Kev3188 said:
LaLi--

I can agree with that to an extent. Fines are probably good enough for nonviolent offenders.

My problem is I do not see any benefit to giving a murderer/pedophile/rapist a gym membership and cable TV while their victims either rot in the ground or suffer severe physical and psychological trauma.

Ms Tree said:
Not to mention the fact that the prisons are profit centers who help grease the system to get inmates.  We have prosecuters who are more concerned with conviction rates as opposed to justice.  Eyewitness accounts are notoriously unreliable.

The amount of money wasted on putting people away who probably should not be any where near a prison is probably staggering.  The 'law and order' crowd needs to wake up and smell the roses.
Smell the roses? Start with the roses on the grave sights of their victims.

Why don't you go tell the victim's family to stop and smell the roses.

You really are an idiot.

It would be a lot cheaper if they would execute some of these people instead of supporting them for decades.