KSM Trial in NYC

So by your definition all people who are drug suspects should be tried by a military tribunal...since we are in the "War On Drugs".

Just because someone calls it the War on Terror, does not make it so.

Who surrenders or raises the white flag when someone wins the War on Terror?

Err, I believe it was Osama, who declared "WAR" on America, long before the Liberal Demorats downplayed the term, "War on Terror" !

Maybe you can help New York finance this fiasco while your at it , not like they haven't been through enough !

I do not know how KSM could have confessed anything to a tribunal. He may have admitted to doing the acts he is accused of but an admission does not bypass the need for a trial.

BTW, feel free to look any of this up. The internet is a wonderful thing.

Maybe it is you who should learn to "google".

With victims' family members in attendance, the alleged mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks asked to postpone an earlier offer to plead guilty to murder charges and voiced concern that he might not be sentenced to death if he and his co-defendants plead guilty.

"Are you saying if we plead guilty we will not be permitted under the law to be sentenced to death?" he asked Army Col. Steve Henley, the judge presiding over the pretrial hearing in the war-crimes case at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, also known as KSM, is facing charges of murdering 2,973 people. He has admitted to developing the plot to fly airplanes into buildings and allegedly insisted the planes hit buildings, even when Osama bin Laden purportedly said hijacking them and crashing them in the ground would be enough.

KSM, who said during his June arraignment that he wished to be "martyred."

Like I said before, this whole civilian trial BS is nothing but a show trial to slam the previous administration on our dime and expense of our safety. :down:

lb1117cd20091116091837.jpg

So by your definition all people who are drug suspects should be tried by a military tribunal...since we are in the "War On Drugs".

Just because someone calls it the War on Terror, does not make it so.

Who surrenders or raises the white flag when someone wins the War on Terror?

So under your logic, Squire the WTC was attacked by merit badge wanting Boy Scouts?

Tonite one of the defense attorney's made statements of how the five are looking forward to getting on the stand and making issue of the great Satan and how we deserved what we got....and he agrees it is right.......Sounds like a good time is guaranteed for all including some families of 3000 killed by the merit badge Boy Scouts.....

Best thing for Obama's legacy would be an innocent verdict....what history......... :lol:

Play with fire expect to get burnt.

Somebody said this is the first time in the countries history for something like this. :down:

Progressive liberal communist/marxists will be the untimely end to your country.

Really enjoyed watching one of the "Islamic Terrorist's" attorney on O'riley tonight.

Every time Bill mentioned the murder of 3000 Americans, his reply was ," It wasn't 3000 Americans"!

I guess since it was "ONLY" 2973 Americans, it's ok ! :blink:

Defense attorney's job is to represent their client to the best of their ability. Should they fail to do so, they could be hauled into court as well. Attorney doe not have to like their client much less agree with them or even think they are innocent. They just need to give the best representation they can under the law. That is how and why our legal system works. The Hill side strangler, Charles Manson, Dahlmer, and every other defendant is entitled to the best defense possible. Even the Nazi war criminals had defense counsel.

If you do not like how the US legal system works, again you are more than welcome to move to a country where legal defense is not a requirement under the law.

AG Eric Holder has insisted that the federal court system gives the government the best opportunity to convict KSM, but failed to explain how he reached that conclusion.

Remember the Moussaoui trial where the district judge actually tired to dismiss the indictment? When the Court of Appeals reinstated Moussaoui’s indictment, it stated that they would be sensitive to the trial judge’s concerns and would ensure that the government made available to Moussaoui’s defense team all the information needed to present his defense. We’ll never know exactly how the government would have reacted to a dismissal of Moussaoui’s indictment because he surprised everyone by pleading guilty.

What will happen if/when KSM presses his demands for access to classified information and testimony from al-Qaeda captives as he is entitled to under the constitution? What if KSM is found not guilty?

Dismissals could be a big problem with the KSM trial.

Not to worry, AG Eric Holder has it all figured out, “I have thought about that possibility. Congress has passed legislation that would not allow the release of these individuals in this country. If there is not a successful conclusion to this trial, that would not mean that this person would be released into this country…

So exactly where would KSM be released? GITMO anyone!

It’s a SHOW TRIAL by all definitions.

So what's your solution?

As far as classified info is concerned, my understanding is that there have been cases where the judge has taken the info into their chambers and made a ruling as to it's usefulness and how it will be administered there by eliminating the release of any classified info that would jeopardize intelligence gathering. I have heard no reason why this could not be duplicated in this trial.

As for his potential release, since he is not a US citizen and does not have a visa even were he not a criminal (which if acquitted he would not be) he would be deported to his country of origin. Seems like a non-issue.

I think the biggest obstacle for the prosecution is the fact that some or all of the 'evidence' was obtained by what the rest of the world (including the US IIRC) define as torture and therefore may be inadmissible in court. How that would affect any subsequent evidence that was discovered I do not know. Hopefully there is a plan B being drawn up.

Unless I missed a SCOTUS ruling, the only option is a US civilian court. Military tribunal has been ruled illegal by the SCOTUS in 2006. Bush and Cheney did not have a soft spot for the Al-Queda prisoners in Gitmo. There have been no convictions and executions for a reason. They had no way to try them other than a civilian court.

We have them in custody. We have to do something. According to US law we have 2 options. Try them in court or release them. What would you prefer?

My understanding is that federal courts do not permit any type of electronic recording devices during the proceedings so that means no TV or tape recorders. That should limit the circus effect I would think. I do not recall a federal trial that got 'out of control' like the OJ trial circus. Jury selection should be a royal PIA. That's going to have to be one royally huge selection pool.

One thing is for sure. This trial will be a showcase to the world. We need to do it right (or at least as right as we can) to show the world that we are a nation of laws and not hypocrites.

So what's your solution?

As far as classified info is concerned, my understanding is that there have been cases where the judge has taken the info into their chambers and made a ruling as to it's usefulness and how it will be administered there by eliminating the release of any classified info that would jeopardize intelligence gathering. I have heard no reason why this could not be duplicated in this trial.

As for his potential release, since he is not a US citizen and does not have a visa even were he not a criminal (which if acquitted he would not be) he would be deported to his country of origin. Seems like a non-issue.

I think the biggest obstacle for the prosecution is the fact that some or all of the 'evidence' was obtained by what the rest of the world (including the US IIRC) define as torture and therefore may be inadmissible in court. How that would affect any subsequent evidence that was discovered I do not know. Hopefully there is a plan B being drawn up.

Unless I missed a SCOTUS ruling, the only option is a US civilian court. Military tribunal has been ruled illegal by the SCOTUS in 2006. Bush and Cheney did not have a soft spot for the Al-Queda prisoners in Gitmo. There have been no convictions and executions for a reason. They had no way to try them other than a civilian court.

We have them in custody. We have to do something. According to US law we have 2 options. Try them in court or release them. What would you prefer?

My understanding is that federal courts do not permit any type of electronic recording devices during the proceedings so that means no TV or tape recorders. That should limit the circus effect I would think. I do not recall a federal trial that got 'out of control' like the OJ trial circus. Jury selection should be a royal PIA. That's going to have to be one royally huge selection pool.

One thing is for sure. This trial will be a showcase to the world. We need to do it right (or at least as right as we can) to show the world that we are a nation of laws and not hypocrites.

The solution Garf, since he and his "Islamic Terrorist" Brethren have claimed WAR, against The United States of America is facing his crimes in a "MILITARY COURT" !

Or did they just claim jihad against New York ? :blink:

What others have declared on us is not relavent.

When did we declare war? And I'm not referring to something like the 'war' on drugs. I'm suffering to an actual declaration of war?

Secondly, since there was no declaration of war (can you guess where this is going?) there are no POW's either. So try again.

Back