LAX Moves

jcw

Veteran
Aug 12, 2004
With DL signing a deal with LAX to move to Terminals 2 and 3 - what are AA's plans to consolidate operations even more and potentially get more gates?

I've forgotten the details, but I believe that it's probable that AA will be moving into T-5 once Delta is out. T-5 has sufficient space to permit AA to abandon the remote Eagle terminal on the east side of the airfield. AA is owed preferential use of five (5) TBIT gates, some of which are already in use by AA. In addition, AA will likely occupy several TBIT gates in the mid-field terminal once it is constructed.

A deal with AA for T5 and other properties was contingent on LAWA moving Delta.

A deal with AA should follow shortly. 

Construction is supposed to start soon on the 2 new T4 gates and I've heard we got access to another gate in T6 for 5 total. I asked if it was shared with Alaska and I was told no it was supposed to be a dedicated gate. We'll see. Also the connector is supposed to open soon for FIS to TBIT. Again, we'll see. Rumor has it we will be up 40 mainline flights by the end of summer in LAX. Again, we'll see.

Has anyone heard anything about an increase in head count for aircraft maintenance at Lax ???

Thanks

Seeing how they said in one of the TH's about trying to expand in LAX I'd belive there would be. Also currently states 19 openings as of last I checked. But I don't know if LAX is currently at capacity already and those 19 are for more mechanics or if that's replacement slots.

IORFA said:
Construction is supposed to start soon on the 2 new T4 gates and I've heard we got access to another gate in T6 for 5 total. I asked if it was shared with Alaska and I was told no it was supposed to be a dedicated gate. We'll see. Also the connector is supposed to open soon for FIS to TBIT. Again, we'll see. Rumor has it we will be up 40 mainline flights by the end of summer in LAX. Again, we'll see.

AA has three unallocated gates that come from the the Eagle terminal moves - when they moved to the current nest, they lost two gates. When they reaccomodate the nest for larger RJs, they lost another. Two of those will be built in T4 as you mentioned, with international ops moving to TBIT, they can deal with less widebody capable gates. The third I heard was supposed to go into TBIT as a domestic gate, but a fifth at T6 could make sense.

Regardless, AS and AA are talking about sharing T6 gates in addition to AA reactivating those three unused gate allocations. 

I had heard the rumor about the domestic TBIT gate as well. That's why I'm not sure about where the T6 gate comes from and if it really is an AA only gate. What is the real disposition of the Delta gates in T6? Are any of them really theirs? Or are they just shared with Alaska?

767JET,
Conventional wisdom would say LAX would add AMTs but it seems like every time the airport adds gates they keep tearing down hangars. LAX AA has lost the low bay, parking spots, and I heard the ex-TWA hangar and more parking is being lost due to the addition of a new midfield concourse. The airport seems to be expanding inward taking MX space.

Rumor has it, they are going to be building a new hangar for AA as LAX wants the land where the current hangar is located.

Reactions: 1 person
The LAX plan is to build a new 75 acre maintenance facility with hangars, parking space and aircraft run-up pad near the Southwest corner of LAX adjacent to Pershing Drive. QF has already signed a 20 year lease for at least a portion of the facility and I assume that AA will occupy a portion of it as well.

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/OurLAX/Current_Projects_and_Studies/factsheet%20-%20LAX%20Factsheet%20(FINAL).pdf

http://australianaviation.com.au/2014/10/qantas-signs-20-year-lease-on-new-lax-hangar/

If AA expands at LAX as predicted, that would require more maintenance personnel for as-needed line maintenance and for periodic checks like daily checks and ETOPS checks. If LAX ends up with lots of 787s (which is likely if LAX sees more TPAC flights, as AA management has said), then perhaps a 787 B check would be in the cards.

Obviously, no guarantees that all this required maintenance will be performed in-house.

Reactions: 1 person
They must have downgraded the hangar plan. The pics I was sent show only one A380 capable hangar going up. Is that a temporary structure?

FWAAA said:
I've forgotten the details, but I believe that it's probable that AA will be moving into T-5 once Delta is out. T-5 has sufficient space to permit AA to abandon the remote Eagle terminal on the east side of the airfield. AA is owed preferential use of five (5) TBIT gates, some of which are already in use by AA. In addition, AA will likely occupy several TBIT gates in the mid-field terminal once it is constructed.
So, I'm assuming we keep Terminal 4 in addition?  Some sort of connector to be installed?