Letter From V.p. Sherry Groff 12/22

700UW said:
US Airways has a vendor usually LSG cook the food. US Airways stocks their own beverages, snacks etc..

They Fleet Service caterers stock their trucks, pick up any food from LSG then Cater the airplanes.

They have been pulling workers from catering to work the ramp instead of catering the flights. So not enough catering to plenish the airplanes.
[post="232989"][/post]​

Thanks very much for the explanation. Now I understand the situation.

Oh, I bet the FA's are going to have a swell time telling the short haul passengers that their are no drinks, no ice and no snacks. It also sounds like they found someone to add to the witness list for the judge to listen to in connection with the ability of the executives to plan anything at all. Can anyone say "Trustee"?

planejane said:
If the DOT doesn't pull your certificate first after investigating U's disaster this past week...................Why has mgt let this practice continue year after year?
[post="232963"][/post]​
Planejane,
Good question! Why has management/Wolf/Gangwal/Seigal/Crelin been allowed to run the PHL operation in such a poor manner year after year. We, the employees would like to know also. Hopefully the DOT will find out.

JetClipper said:
Trip:

What're you doing on the US board? Shouldn't you be bashing NWA for something?
[post="232991"][/post]​

Geez, somebody has to grow it and smoke it?

700UW:

700UW said: "US Airways has its own Fleet Service Personal that cater the airplanes at the hubs and major cities."

USA320Pilot said: Maybe not for long.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
USA320Pilot said: Maybe not for long.
[post="233071"][/post]​

Yeah, when the entire airline tanks they'll be right with the remaining pilots, FAs, mechs, res agents, ato agents, sim engineers, and everyone else on the same unemployment line. :rolleyes:

planejane said:
As for the sick calls, 1/4 of the flight attendants called off. Inexcusable!
[post="232963"][/post]​

1/4 of the F/As? So US Airways now has only 800 F/As? Daaam, here was me still thinking there was 5,400, but who am I to question good old planejane and her contacts.

Thousands of mainline F/As, the majority, went to work. The MidAtlantic division, which is staffed by 300 mainline-furlough F/As, did not have a single sick call.

Oh, that jane. :rolleyes:

If you read between the lines in Ms. Groff's letter, the reason the planes weren't going to be catered normally was because they were going to use the caterers to load and unload the planes. They new the holiday season was going to be a mess. Everone who works or goes in and out of PHL knows it has been an operational nightmare for a long time. I flew my block in Sept. that went in and out of PHL all month. Every week we sat at least once per trip in PHL for 2-3 hours waiting for people to unload and then load the bags. A caterer told me this goes on all the time because the ramp is so short. Sept. is nothing compared to the last 2 weeks of Dec. Add weather, some sick calls, short-staffing, and throngs of people and their luggage and Pitbull was right. This was the perfect storm operatioanlly. And the company knew it. To have chiames and management try to turn this all on the employees shows their lack of responsibility and credibility. Ms. Groff's letter shows that they knew there was going to be major problems.

planejane said:
If the DOT doesn't pull your certificate first after investigating U's disaster this past week. Luckily, baggage is separate contract. I'm sure the judge, who's interest is purely for the creditors, will deal with them as they have asked for it. As for the sick calls, 1/4 of the flight attendants called off. Inexcusable! Management should have put their foot down 10 years ago and demanded (as like at Continental) between November ? and January ? within 48 hours a doctors note is required before being able to return to work. Makes it more of a nuisuance to call off. Not all doctors will acknowledge this practice and it's harder to get into see a doctor during the holidays. Why has mgt let this practice continue year after year?
[post="232963"][/post]​

Lost amidst all the drama, and certainly missed by the media, is the fact that U, just before Thanksgiving, put out a zero tolerance policy on sick calls for ato CWA and IAM agents.

The previous policy was the company MAY require a doctor's note for a sick call.

The current says the company WILL require a doctor's note. The company also said it would deny leave for any 'elective' surgery during the hioliday, leaving the meaning of elective up to themselves.

Back