Longest Non-stop Record To Be Smashed

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
A few months back there was a discussion about the longest non-stop flight. Seems like SIA is about to smash the previous record, also held by them.

LOS ANGELES, May 12 /PRNewswire/ -- Singapore Airlines (SIA) will break its own record for the world's longest distance flight with the launch of non- stop services from Singapore to Newark Airport, near New York, beginning on June 28, 2004. The new flight tops the existing record by 1,000 miles, which was set on February 3 when SIA began non-stop services between Singapore and Los Angeles.

SIA's record-breaking A340-500 aircraft, called the A345, will travel around 9,000 nautical miles on the Singapore to New York route. The flight will take about 18 hours in each direction and save passengers up to four hours in travel time, as compared to the existing one-stop services. The distance covered on the SIA Singapore to Los Angeles service is 7,971 nautical miles.

Press Release

Jim

I know that I always like to pass through customs and immigration after an 18 hour flight and--- make a connection!?! NOT! :huh:

Why is SIA flying from Newark adn not JFK. JFK is the main international airport in New York with Emirates also flying a new A345 they chose JFK from Dubai. Most foreign airlines supplement their JFK operation with Newark but SIA is reversing that premise. I wonder if the JFK-FRA-SIA route's days are numbered.

JFK777 said:
Why is SIA flying from Newark adn not JFK. JFK is the main international airport in New York with Emirates also flying a new A345 they chose JFK from Dubai. Most foreign airlines supplement their JFK operation with Newark but SIA is reversing that premise. I wonder if the JFK-FRA-SIA route's days are numbered.
Newark is much stronger with business traffic. Also, Singapore's JFK-FRA-SIN service, which is a big moneymaker, is going nowhere. The new EWR-SIN replaces the current EWR-AMS-SIN service. Many foreign airlines fly exclusivly to EWR, including Mexicana, SAS, and TAP Air Portugal.

SAS used to fly to JFK, but when they bought into CAL, they changed to EWR. As far as I know, that relationship is over, with SAS now being a member of Star.

BoeingBoy said:
The flight will take about 18 hours in each direction and save passengers up to four hours in travel time, as compared to the existing one-stop services.
Well, I'm one who would have to be medicated first. :shock: :p

MAH4546,

You examples of Newark on airlines is quite average. SAS, while being a quality airline is the only one to put all its New York "eggs" at Newark. TAP Air Portugal, not going to waste my time there.

Air France & British Airways operate about 75% of their New York flights to JFK, AF only flies to EWR once daily. None of the Japanesse airline fly to Newark, neither does Cathay Pacific. Even American Airlines with 6 JFK-LHR flights daily only does EWR-LHR once daily. Delta with all its European service doesn't operate one flight across the pond from EWR, Song does fly to Florida from EWR. Foreign airline service at EWR has grown from nothing, when Virgin Atlantic got there in 1984 to something quite significant. Since the New York market is so big its unique in being able to support two large international airports. Though even Virgin with service to both JFK & EWR serves JFK with one more flight daily now then EWR.

18 hours? Piece of cake! I did PHX-MIA-CPT-DUR in one day, nonrevving all the way.

Of course my brain was scrambled eggs in a blender afterward....

Back