Machinsts To Meet With The Company

real world said:
The legacies did not start the race the LCC's did, the Legacies are doing what they need to do to compete in the new world.....
[post="193420"][/post]​

OK....Lets say for a moment that you are correct. (Only for a moment mind you)

If the legacy carriers get everyone...including management to take cuts to get the Legacy costs at or below LCC levels , will the LCC's be able to compete with the Legacy Carriers in light of the lessor degree of services they provide?

If the LCC's simply have to lower the bar again to continue enjoying growth and profits...what's next? Do we keep lowering our bar to the point that it doesn't even make this industry attractive to anyone from an employment standpoint? Many feel this is the case ..or is becoming the case already.

The other problem with U is simply from the top down. Management taking only a 1% cut after having recieved a 5% increase recently...is not anyway to get anyone in theit right mind to negotiate. This sets a bad tone for all except the Pilots obviously.

I do not see the other groups whom are going to pay with real money , greater numbers in job losses due in part to technology and outsourcing taking this lying down...I certainly do not see this being the case with the IAM or the AFA. I do believe they clearly see things for what they are.

700UW said:
They farmed out 20% of their maintenance pre-concessions which included heavy checks and now checks above a C are farmed out.

I have a problem with your numbers concerning the outsourcing at UAL. The truth of the matter is that the IAM AGREED to allow 100% of heavy maintenance and 20% of all OTHER maintenance to be farmed out. That led to the closure of the Indy and OAK facilities. And you know as well as many why this was done......Retaliatory actions for the mechanics voting the IAM out. Very admirable behavior of a union that has no trouble slamming the AMFA with the IAM version of the truth!!

This same IAM represents the UAIR membership and is faced with a huge dilemma. The company wants ALL utility and ALL heavy maintenance outsourced. What should they do??? They can hold their stance on the concession stand being closed and tank the entire operation. However, that would mean the large loss of DUES that roll in month after month. And seeing how hurricane Mitchell tore the concession stand apart a week ago it would be safe to say it's time to pick their poison.

Yes, you are in the loop at your level. But you are no way in heck privy to the international level of wheeling and dealing. Remember the secrecy behind all IAM negotiations. You know only what they want you to know. And that goes for the AGC's too. If you believe otherwise then you are simply naive.

As I write this I can assure you that one or more of the work groups will get sold out. Which one? I will leave that guess to you. But it will happen. There is no other recourse at this stage of the game for the IAM. They must sacrafice the few for the needs of the many.

As far as the IAM not talking with the company......c'mon already. The IAM has a vested interest in UAIR and will do what is necessary to protect that interest as much as possible. And how do you think that is done?? Constant communication. That's just common sense. Come to terms with it already and quit sounding off like Rush Limbaugh the media moron.

Good luck to you and all.

Save the middle class. VOTE KERRY / EDWARDS.

ITRADE said:
Amazing how all the head-in-the-sand work groups were saying that they'd 1) prefer to go before the judge and then, 2) when it got to the judge have their stellar attorneys block any 1113 motion by the company. I'd say that the Company has been scoring about a 99% success rate on this docket.
[post="193336"][/post]​
Thanks ITRADE!!!! 700, NOTICE the avatar!!!!!! Not everyone thinks like you!!! What I have been saying for MONTHS!!!!!! GOOD DAY!!!!

• Banned
:stupid:

Please explain what your post has to do with the thread topic:

"Machinists to Meet with the Company"

This is not a political web page.

Phantom Fixer said:
OK....Lets say for a moment that you are correct. (Only for a moment mind you)

If the legacy carriers get everyone...including management to take cuts to get the Legacy costs at or below LCC levels , will the LCC's be able to compete with the Legacy Carriers in light of the lessor degree of services they provide?

If the LCC's simply have to lower the bar again to continue enjoying growth and profits...what's next? Do we keep lowering our bar to the point that it doesn't even make this industry attractive to anyone from an employment standpoint? Many feel this is the case ..or is becoming the case already.

The other problem with U is simply from the top down. Management taking only a 1% cut after having recieved a 5% increase recently...is not anyway to get anyone in theit right mind to negotiate. This sets a bad tone for all except the Pilots obviously.

I do not see the other groups whom are going to pay with real money , greater numbers in job losses due in part to technology and outsourcing taking this lying down...I certainly do not see this being the case with the IAM or the AFA. I do believe they clearly see things for what they are.
[post="193428"][/post]​

Ok assuming I am right for a moment and no longer promise:

LCC’s with the advent of jet blue are changing the paradigm for LCC and are adding product enhancements that beat most Legacy’s, like direct tv, extra seat pitch in coach and no over sales and Air Tran with First. While the model started with WN they are now having to look at changing there portfolio to compete with the likes of B9. Therefore with all things being equal on the price side I think you will see a return to product differentiation, however it will have to be balanced on the cost side and the value the consumer is willing to place on that product offering.

Management is taking more than 1%, to be fair all of the other labor groups received raises this year as well, however top management at US did not receive any raises this year none and will take anywhere from 5%, 7.5% and higher for SVP and above, contrary to popular belief the 4% was just for the analysts and first tier management. Secondly management will no longer have sick time they will revert back to the old PDO system and they had there 401k match reduced significantly down to 3%, from as high as 11% for some.

Well lets hope that the discussions that are going on now as painful as they are can come to some outcome that all parties can live with and help rebuild our company.

real world said:
Well lets hope that the discussions that are going on now as painful as they are can come to some outcome that all parties can live with and help rebuild our company.
[post="193566"][/post]​

Our company?? Wow, you really care eventhough you've gone on to airline bagel catering. What a guy!

Wow, you so told him. <_<

Why bother with a reasoned argument in response when a low brow insult will do...? :rolleyes:

Grow up, todays date is October 21st, 2004, not 1974, nor even 84 or 94.

We work in a dramatically different industry, that we adapt to or die. Regulation era throwback attitudes, and an outdated sense of entitlement no longer have a place in the new reality.

Every single legacy carrier is in a struggle to stay alive right now, and so are a number of the LCC's. What makes you so special to think that you do not need to adapt and change, just because you had it so good for so long.

Man, what an ego.

real world,

Fleet service has NOT recieved a Raise this year!!! Please post Facts that are correct!!!

Just another example of why management CANNOT be trusted! :down: :down:

so 700, has the company given the IAM the lastest proposal yet?
What have the non-negotiations resulted in?? Loss of the A320 work? Loss of the A330 work? How much more to the mechs have to suffer to save the less skilled workers????

• Banned
No proposals have been given to the IAM.

Latest posts

Back