Mainline Pilot Manning

Status
Not open for further replies.
USA320Pilot said:
Unlike other CEO's Lakefield has empathy and he is sincere. I also like the fact he is honest and a fellow Naval Officer. Trust is key and probably the most important factor in succssfully restructuring the company, to meet the relentless LCC pressure, which is no longer a threat but now a stark reality.
Regards,
USA320Pilot
He is not sincere and honest and being a formal navy officer has nothing to do with being a businessman and running an airline.

USA320Pilot said:
BoeingBoy:

Your analysis is interesting, but much of the savings you listed need work rule changes to support the ASM and new aircraft growth.
First, there is NOTHING in agent contracts preventing Transformation.

Second, I am amazed there is language in ANY contract, post BK, preventing same.

Kindly cite some examples.

Hey guys,
What happens next year? Everyone is so focused on getting through this year that long-range (1-2 years) planning has been apparently thrown to the dogs.
Does our union have any strategic planning capability? It hasn't shown those strengths in the past.....
We need to plan for any contingency in the future, long and short range.
If the company gets what they want this time, will they be back for more?
Recent experience has shown that they will....
What will our careers look like 2, 3, or 5 years from now? Will you be financially able to retire at 60? Will you be able to afford health care costs from age 60-65 when medicare kicks in? Will you be able to send your kids to college in 3-5 years?
As for our contract, can we ever hope to recoup anything that we have recently lost?

Will this job ever be a good job again?

Lifestyle-
Compensation-
Benefits-
Retirement-

700UW said:
He is not sincere and honest and being a formal navy officer has nothing to do with being a businessman and running an airline.
I think that this point is often lost on many people.

Seriously. Or, to put it this way: Lakefield does not need the money--he's running the airline because he's Bronner's friend and advisor. That's where his loyalties are.

Bronner wants to make a buck, nothing more, nothing less, and if anyone thinks Lakefield will do anything but what needs to happen (including pulling another "Joe Isuzu" will ALPA) they are nuts, Canoe U ring nonwithstanding.

USA320Pilot said:
Unlike other CEO's Lakefield has empathy and he is sincere. I also like the fact he is honest and a fellow Naval Officer. Trust is key and probably the most important factor in succssfully restructuring the company, to meet the relentless LCC pressure, which is no longer a threat but now a stark reality.
And here, sir, you have hit upon the reason why many or most of the unionized labor groups at US Airways are so unwilling to consider additional concessions.

The company committed to performing Airbus narrowbody heavy maintenance in-house as part of the last concessionary contract with the IAM-represented employees, and within a few months turned around and outsourced that exact same work, telling the union to go ahead and file a grievance. The company has chosen to squeeze the IAM-represented employees in other ways (i.e. outsourcing of deicing and baggage system maintenance). Do you think that any of these moves has led to TRUST on the part of these employees?

The company has chosen to take a very hard line on the use (or abuse) of sick time by individuals in some labor groups (for example, the flight attendants). Does this lead to the feeling that the company trusts its workers to do the right thing? Do you think that it's unreasonable for these employees to have a similar level of trust in their management? From all reports, it seems that UAIR's reservations staff are scared to death of being written up or terminated for the crime of taking too much time to tend to a customer; again, does this atmosphere build TRUST in management?

I simply cannot fathom some of management's moves in the last 12 months in light of the fact that airlines with poor labor relations are rarely (if ever) successful.

And, to be honest here, if you think that management's promises to not furlough pilots if they agree to "play ball" are worth the paper they're written on, I have some swampland I'd like to sell you. Without strong contractual protections for the pilots, they have little reason to live up to those promises.

"Unlike other CEO's Lakefield has empathy and he is sincere. I also like the fact he is honest and a fellow Naval Officer."

Thanks for the best laugh I've had all day. Now everybody, check you're back pocket to make sure your wallet's still there. TRUST??? If you trust ANY corporate executive, you're crazy. These guys go to very high-priced special schools to learn to give the facade of empathy, sincerity, and trustworthyness (at company expense of course). American business isn't about trust and ethics anymore . . . it's about what they can get away with.

Next it will be "While you know I can't put that in the contract, but you have my personal assurance as a former Naval Officer that the company will . . . . (fill in the blank). "

"Fellow Naval Officer" . . . . oh, please, stop. You're killing me! ROTFLMAO!

Winglet:

Winglet said: '"Fellow Naval Officer" . . . . oh, please, stop. You're killing me! ROTFLMAO!"

USA320Pilot comments: As a retired military officer I take offense to your comment. Lakefield served over 20 years in the military where people put their life on the line so people like you can post on this message board and to enjoy the liberties this country offers. To insult or make a joke about any member of the United States military, especially in this day in time, shows pure disrespect.

With disgust,

USA320Pilot

Do you know if he put his life on the line?

Sadaam is in the military too as was Hitler as were the soldiers who abused the iraqi prisoners as was Stalin. What about the Naval Aviators who got in quite a it of trouble with the Tailhook problems? What about the soldiers in Japan getting arrested for raping underage japanese girls?

Better quite while you are behind.

You judge people for who they are, not because they were in the armed forces.

Being in the military does not make you better or worse then anyone who was not.

The true joke is YOU trying to portray him as a godlike person because he was in the navy.

USA320Pilot said:
Winglet:

Winglet said: '"Fellow Naval Officer" . . . . oh, please, stop. You're killing me! ROTFLMAO!"

USA320Pilot comments: As a retired military officer I take offense to your comment. Lakefield served over 20 years in the military where people put their life on the line so people like you can post on this message board and to enjoy the liberties this country offers. To insult or make a joke about any member of the United States military, especially in this day in time, shows pure disrespect.

With disgust,

USA320Pilot
Now you are putting on the badge of honor! Give me a friggin break!!

If he was truly a man of honor beyond reproach he would not have associated with the likes of this management team, a team who is known to lie, deceive, and hires a Jerry Glass to make sure these tactics of DISHONOR are carried out.

So don’t hide behind some self perceived place of honor captain, you are known by the people you associate with and by that very fact alone this new CEO is nothing more then a mouth piece for the plans of Dave Siegel’s vision of a slaughtered airline where unions and livable wages only get in the way.

Get off your horse captain, you look stupid up there!

To insult or make a joke about any member of the United States military, especially in this day in time, shows pure disrespect.

Holding contempt for the Tailhook participants shows pure disrespect. I'm positive that my disdain for the military personnel that chose to smile and pose in pictures taken while in the process of torturing prisoners of war shows pure disrepect.

One should never automatically bestow upon anyone else a blanket blessing of respect, honor, trust and loyalty just because they've served in the military.

I know a prime example, but then again, so does everyone else on this forum. :rolleyes:

Just one question.

Where would you folks be today without those people that did serve and do serve in the military of the United States of America?

ual06 said:
Just one question.

Where would you folks be today without those people that did serve and do serve in the military of the United States of America?
There is a BIG difference between now and when my Father was on Iwo Jima. We are NOT threatened like Bush wants us to believe and have NOT been since the Cuban missile crisis or WWII.

I will not debate politics. I will debate with a NO vote to another term of Bush and his obsessions.

Go ahead and wave your flag all you want, and support the killing of innocents, follow Bush blindly. But until I see a real threat and one not manufactured for personal or political gain you can take all your military mid set and stick it where the sun don't shine.

I did over 20 of active service putting my life on the line as well, and it wasn't spent doing weekend reserve duty while I pulled down a big salary from an airline. I had the chance to get out and go with the airlines, but stuck with the military . . . while quite a few my peers jumped ship and are now airline Captains . . . . and continuing to take care of 'ol #1.

Prior military service is not a reason to automatically trust someone. Your stripes are earned everyday, everyhour. American business ethics is probably as low as it was in the late 1800s right now and has a corrupting affect on many people, including ex-military officers.

In business "trusting" someone because he's a "good guy" is bad business. You can bet if Lakefield can take advantage with some slick ambiguous language in a new contract, he'll do it. After all, "it's just business."

I'm sure Lakefield was standing tall in the board meetings objecting to every violation of the various contracts with his workers and objecting to the way that US Airways was being run into the ground. Or was he just taking big $$ for attending board meetings and rubberstamping anything that the CEO wanted?

ual06 said:
Just one question.

Please don't infer that anyone here is not grateful for those that have placed their lives on the line and/or have given their lives for our freedoms, militarily.

Those very freedoms have endowed us with rights to have differences of opinion, voice them and each of us can maintain our own sets of values, ethics and morals.

Not everyone ascribes to the same sets of values as one particular individual here, and everyone was simply attempting to convey that one cannot automatically equate respect with service in the armed forces.

With anything in life, one has to assess a situation or an individual on a case-by-case basis.

cavalier said:
There is a BIG difference between now and when my Father was on Iwo Jima. We are NOT threatened like Bush wants us to believe and have NOT been since the Cuban missile crisis or WWII.

I will not debate politics. I will debate with a NO vote to another term of Bush and his obsessions.

Go ahead and wave your flag all you want, and support the killing of innocents, follow Bush blindly. But until I see a real threat and one not manufactured for personal or political gain you can take all your military mid set and stick it where the sun don't shine.
9/11 ?????????????????????????????????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back