Maintenance By The Hour - On New Engine Work

TWU informer

Veteran
Nov 4, 2003
Rumors are flying high that AA is going to have MBTH Agreements on new engine work coming to Tulsa.

This allows ALL component rework to be outsourced to third party vendors.

I feel sure the TWU has NO LANGUAGE to stop such activity.

Say in aint so CIO?

The EVIL TWU allowed the outsourcing here at the AFW engine shop of BLADES,VANES, and NUMEROUS OTHER COMPONENTS. This was allowed even before it became TAESL, and don't forget the outsourcing of the entire AFW APU shop! The TWU saved jobs,YEAH RIGHT!

AAmech said:
How quaint!! Amfanuts worried about outsourcing!!!
I figured that would be the best response we would get.

Notice how outsourcing is a MAJOR issue until the TWU does it.

How quaint that AAmech would mention pay at Alaska after the TWU led the industry in concessions. And we thought the only thing mattered was saving jobs!

Hey AAmech, how many holidays, vacation days, and sick days does an Alaska Mechanic get per year? How much does the Alaska Mechanic pay for medical, dental, vision, and LTD? How many Alaska Mechanics fail to get license pay?

Now who is the lowest paid?

TWU informer said:
I figured that would be the best response we would get.

Notice how outsourcing is a MAJOR issue until the TWU does it.
Its funny how all of a sudden, within the last year, the TWU is concerned about outsourcing. Over the long haul not only has the TWU secured the lowest labor costs for its host companies but AA was one of the leaders in outsourcing. This was repeatedly cited by sister organization IAM in their newsletters to members.

During the last round of negotiations the TWU refused to go for more stringient language on outsourcing, so the only thing that keeps work in house is agreeing to work for less-isnt that what the objection to RTW was? I guess that the only thing that the TWU really has against RTW is not that workers earn less, but that they dont have to pay dues. How many people do you suppose would pay dues to the TWU if it were not mandatory? At least 52% of our class and craft wouldnt!

Other airlines have recently stepped more heavily into the outsourcing market because of AA's lower labor costs.

When you look at the TWU's track record you have to wonder if the TWU is run by AIRCON. They both seem to have the same objectives! LOWER WAGES!

Outsourcing and amfa? Just a note taken from another satisfied amfa man.

Name: Where are all the Smart ones now?
Date: Monday, December 08, 2003
Time: 06:46 AM

Comments
Considering all the hype AMFA put on my NWA Contract insisting that I have a better deal with AMFA's Farm-Out Language and given the result of the AMFA's blunder More than 1/2 of NWA's Mech/Tech employees laid off you have to wonder why there aren't pickets outside the AMFA offices demanding AMFA's head. But that's because those pissed off are all laid off. Since AMFA destroyed any solidarity in the Mechanics ranks those still working don't care about the Laid Off as long as they're still getting a pay check every other week. What a vicious circle AMFA has created. There must be at least one AMFA rep somewhere thinking to him or herself that "We're in really big trouble here". You would think that at least somebody in AMFA would realize what a periless situation our membership is in and sound the alarm for action. But day after day AMFA's to busy reacting to symptoms and can't see the disease. Where is the Professional Organization AMFA claimed would represent us?

TEAAM TWU or better yet, the GLEAAM TEAM has some balls. These guys are quick to malign AMFA's suppossed allowing of out sourcing.

ONCE AGAIN, as has been asked many times ad nauseum, what does the following line from ARTICLE 1 DEFINITIONS AND SCOPE of the current twu contract mean..

IT IS UNDERSTOOD THAT NOTHING IN THIS ARTICLE REQUIRES THE MAINTENANCE OF THE PRESENT VOLUME OF WORK

Let us pray that for once some TWU punk can explain the above sentence... :down:

TeamTWU said:
Outsourcing and amfa? Just a note taken from another satisfied amfa man.

Name: Where are all the Smart ones now?
Date: Monday, December 08, 2003
Time: 06:46 AM

Comments
Considering all the hype AMFA put on my NWA Contract insisting that I have a better deal with AMFA's Farm-Out Language and given the result of the AMFA's blunder More than 1/2 of NWA's Mech/Tech employees laid off you have to wonder why there aren't pickets outside the AMFA offices demanding AMFA's head. But that's because those pissed off are all laid off. Since AMFA destroyed any solidarity in the Mechanics ranks those still working don't care about the Laid Off as long as they're still getting a pay check every other week. What a vicious circle AMFA has created. There must be at least one AMFA rep somewhere thinking to him or herself that "We're in really big trouble here". You would think that at least somebody in AMFA would realize what a periless situation our membership is in and sound the alarm for action. But day after day AMFA's to busy reacting to symptoms and can't see the disease. Where is the Professional Organization AMFA claimed would represent us?
Team twu,

You need to go back to the amfanuts BB and hangout with "knobby the poor ousted iam slob", we don't hear any of your twu BS.

You act like the twu does not have 2000+ members on the street, which the twu did nothing but peddle concessions for.

Buck said:
Did TWU Local 514 allow 100% farmout of Zebco?
Buck, did you go and picket Zebco's biggest customer? You are a perfect example of a fanatic.

Why don't you start coming up with concrete examples to fix the situation, i.e. get passengers to pay top scale wages to glue contact paper on toilet doors, and for that matter replace light bulbs in the cabin. When the pax stop frequenting SWA and JB then maybe all wages can be driven above what the market is willing to pay.

AA only signs your paycheck, the customer puts the funds into the account.

Now answer me my standard question...do you insist that the guy putting new tires on your car be a fully certified and trained car mechanic? Or do you settle for some kid who can mount wheels, because that is all his boss is going to train him to do, and pay him accordingly?

In reference to your quote from para. 1. It means that the AA shareholders are not going to stand by and let their equity go down the drain because you think you deserve more than the market or your ego thinks you should be getting. If you would accept the fact that not all jobs can generate the same value added, or in simple language are worth the top amt scale, then just maybe you will get your fair share. But then you would have nothing to scream about.

Regardless of all your blather, you cannot and will not justify your pay to OSMs. Which is why Crandall was CEO, he stood on the stage and did not apologize for his pay. You are unwilling to stick your neck out and take a risk in management, better to work under a guaranteed contract, right?

So who is the coward and the skared individual?

j7915,

Pickets, what good were the pickets? The pickets were about as worthwhile as the TWU "Will Strike if Provoked" and the "Strike Force - Dead Serious" slogans. WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!

Their jobs were 100% outsourced overseas an they all lost their jobs.

Under TWU watch, they all hit the street.

Some much for AFL-CIO, Strength in Numbers, Large Union Bank Account, and Endorsement of Politicians. THE TWU STRATEGY IS A COMPLETE FAILURE.

Did you go "picket" at NWA when they outsourced overseas? Did you even bother to "picket" against George Bush preventing AMFA/NWA Mechanics from striking?

What good is a picket? How about some strong SCOPE LANGUAGE instead of worthless pickets and slogans?

j7915 said:
Buck, did you go and picket Zebco's biggest customer? You are a perfect example of a fanatic.

Why don't you start coming up with concrete examples to fix the situation, i.e. get passengers to pay top scale wages to glue contact paper on toilet doors, and for that matter replace light bulbs in the cabin. When the pax stop frequenting SWA and JB then maybe all wages can be driven above what the market is willing to pay.

Now answer me my standard question...do you insist that the guy putting new tires on your car be a fully certified and trained car mechanic? Or do you settle for some kid who can mount wheels, because that is all his boss is going to train him to do, and pay him accordingly?

In reference to your quote from para. 1. It means that the AA shareholders are not going to stand by and let their equity go down the drain because you think you deserve more than the market or your ego thinks you should be getting. If you would accept the fact that not all jobs can generate the same value added, or in simple language are worth the top amt scale, then just maybe you will get your fair share. But then you would have nothing to scream about.

Regardless of all your blather, you cannot and will not justify your pay to OSMs. Which is why Crandall was CEO, he stood on the stage and did not apologize for his pay. You are unwilling to stick your neck out and take a risk in management, better to work under a guaranteed contract, right?

j7915, I take it you are a company man? It's just damn hard to tell anymore with the TWU!!!

j7915 said:

Sir,
That "kid who can mount wheel" 1. Did not train to receive an FAA Certificate to mount the mentioned wheel. 2. Did not borrow or pay back 10's of thousands of Dollars in loans. 3. Did not take the required Tests to Qualify for the above mentioned Certificate. 4. Did not spend 1or 2 years in School learning the skills required. And the most IMPORTANT... 5. DOES NOT HAVE IN HIS, UN-SKILLED, UN-CERTIFIED, HANDS... THE LIVES OF THOSE THAT CHOOSE TO FLY!
If his "The kid" fails to do his job right it's just another Flat tire. Yes he has some responsibility, but not that of the AMT,or the Machinists, Or the Inspectors (etc).
That" kid" most likely won't face an investigation. Most likely won't face a large Fine, Jail or lost of career. 'NUF SAID...next question.
SECURE YOUR FUTURE BOYS, SIGN A CARD!

J7915: Just answer the question.

The kid changing the tire is most likely not a kid, but a TWU member of the OSM classification at his second job.

Latest posts