700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Airline workforce shrinking

By Thomas Olson
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, February 25, 2005

About 135 aircraft mechanics and other maintenance workers are volunteering to leave US Airways starting next week, an act that will save as many jobs for their co-workers, their union's president said Thursday.

Click for Article

yes these heroes are bailing out....not to save the airline as the author indicated...but in reality they've had enough of this airlines horse crap and feel it will be better elsewhere.
they expect more givebacks or just liquidation in the future.....
for about the third or fourth time after another round of givebacks the company seems to think it has achieved parity with its peers but in reality all our competitors have done the same thing and now we are about where we were as related to our competition as we were before......
the standard mantra now is- i've had enough.....

Are these permanent furloughs, or do the M&R who accept the deal have recall rights?

If they can be recalled, do they bring all of their seniority with them?

diogenes said:
Are these permanent furloughs, or do the M&R who accept the deal have recall rights?

If they can be recalled, do they bring all of their seniority with them?
[post="250777"][/post]​
135 are retirees and others who are voluntarily separating for good...
PIT based may i also add...do not know what the system total is.... ;)

They have severed their ties with the company with no recall....that is of course unless there is something they have not told the union about the contract....With this company and union the majority of employees affected have little knowlege of whats going on. If it was not for rumors on the floor.................

PineyBob said:
If you resign voluntarily I don't think unemployment applys.

[post="251057"][/post]​

Can you explain your position? Are you speaking for your state or on a federal level?

I know for a fact people who have voluntarily resigned and gotten unemployment. The reason I was questioning it with USAirways this time was I heard that they had to sign some type of general waiver to all there rights for anything in the future including seeking unemployment and any future medical civil suits for any type illness that could be considered to be USAirways connected. Akkin all sounds like it wouldn't even be a valid contract.

In PA you can collect. They changed the terms of your contract. You no longer make your same rate of pay. You can walk away and still collect. The company will fight it, but keep appealing on the grounds that they reduced your pay, and you win in the end. How many times do you think a USAIR rep will show up at hearings? One other thing, the company person who signed any paper work stating the company position on trying to deny your unemployment, must be present at any hearing. If they are not there, then it is just hear-say, and is not admisible.

And the other lawyer responds that the company did not change the terms of your contract, the union members who ratified the changes did. The point being when you work in a union environment you are bound by the terms of the agreement, and that agreement can change.

I am not saying this is a valid argument, just one a lawyer is likely to make in fighting these kinds of issues. Exactly why you can count on nothing when an attorney gets involved.

Back