700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Merger to close carrier's Va. office
By Thomas Olson and Michael Yeomans
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, July 22, 2005

US Airways Group expects to close its headquarters in Arlington, Va., which employs nearly 600, as early as January, its chief executive said Thursday.
The airline will shutter the office "in three to six months or less," after the merger with America West Airline closes, said CEO Bruce Lakefield in an interview yesterday.

Click for story

Parker said there is a "stage-length" issue remaining with US Airways, meaning it has a high ratio of shorter flights, which increases the average cost per mile of flying. He also said that US Airways maintains too many facilities within airports catering to business travelers compared to America West.

So does this mean that more clubs will be slated to close? If so... :down:

Parker said there is a "stage-length" issue remaining with US Airways, meaning it has a high ratio of shorter flights, which increases the average cost per mile of flying. He also said that US Airways maintains too many facilities within airports catering to business travelers compared to America West.

I listened to the call. (What a waste of an hour...)

There's no "'stage-length' issue". He said that US's costs are higher partly because of their shorter stage-length; of course, that's offset by higher RASM on those flights. No issue.

As for the facilities, Parker said he was talking about gate utilization and US having too many gates in some airports, not Clubs or the like.

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/s_355921.html

Parker said the ultimate success of the merger will be on his and other managers' shoulders. "It's up to us to get it done," saying the highest hurdles in the integration will not be operational, but rather "cultural."

Parker better cover his arse and get rid of some Senior VP you all know who the mucker up are..

madders said:
http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/s_355921.html

Parker said the ultimate success of the merger will be on his and other managers' shoulders. "It's up to us to get it done,"
[post="283208"][/post]​

This is an attitude that does not mix well with the current crop of Exec's at CCY. Im sure they are getting their Golden Parachutes in order now. I have NEVER in 25 years, heard any manager with this nickle and dime company admit that any failures is a result of management. NEVER. They take the Glory, but not the bonehead results of their assinine Business Accumin......

No mention on the wate of space that RIDC has, I'm sure Ops will be there for a while but what about all those other departments like Res Training and Development?

USAirUnited said:
No mention on the wate of space that RIDC has, I'm sure Ops will be there for a while but what about all those other departments like Res Training and Development?
[post="283460"][/post]​

Why would US keep anything reservations related in Pittsburgh when the closest res center will be in INT ( and for how long?). Seems that will be moving to Tempe as well. Plus if the new U isn't using Sabre, do you think the procedures and training department will be run by the folks that already know the job at America West?

EightySix said:
Why would US keep anything reservations related in Pittsburgh when the closest res center will be in INT ( and for how long?). Seems that will be moving to Tempe as well. Plus if the new U isn't using Sabre, do you think the procedures and training department will be run by the folks that already know the job at America West?
[post="283464"][/post]​
That entire department is a waste, headed by Bonnie Hitchens. DELETED she doesn't know what time it is. I think her next job should be a live model in the window of talbots, she has the "stand around with a interested look on your face with your sweater hanging over your shoulders look" down pat.

WestCoastGuy said:
This is an attitude that does not mix well with the current crop of Exec's at CCY. Im sure they are getting their Golden Parachutes in order now. I have NEVER in 25 years, heard any manager with this nickle and dime company admit that any failures is a result of management. NEVER. They take the Glory, but not the bonehead results of their assinine Business Accumin......
[post="283254"][/post]​
I don't recall alot of gold in any parachutes coming out of AWA. Perhaps for the first time, the upper management will finally have something in common with the U rank-and-file.

PineyBob said:
Crystal Palace? Have you ever visited CCY? With the notable exception of the Lobby it is the most threadbare, run down corporate HQ I've ever been in.

[post="283212"][/post]​
Have you seen HQ for AWA? I have never been there myself, but, I have friends that have and a few that work for AWA, and they say it is beautiful.

EightySix said:
when the closest res center will be in INT ( and for how long?). Seems that will be moving to Tempe as well.
[post="283464"][/post]​

Have you heard that they may close INT? I did not take the buyout but now wish I had. Therefore, I am wondering if they will offer another buyout or just close the office outright after the merger. But doesn't the CWA contract state they have to keep that office, or is that null and void post merger?

xoxo said:
Have you seen HQ for AWA? I have never been there myself, but, I have friends that have and a few that work for AWA, and they say it is beautiful.
[post="283476"][/post]​

It is well kept, maintained and has incredible views of parks, Tempe Town Lake, and downtown Mill Ave. Everyone walks to lunch to many differnt types of resturants. They close the block down 2 or 3 times a year to have Art Fairs.....it is such a lay back culture, but they still know there is a job to do.

It was built on top of the orig CHQ and rez center, which used to be a abandoned outsoor shopping center. Now the old place had style, if you were not falling through the roof!! Then again there were those secert places you know....lol :up: :shock:

Back