Medical Certificate Dilemna

Etro04

Jul 24, 2006
Hi everyone, I've been learning to fly a Cessna 152 single prop and I have accumulated 11 hours flight time. Months ago, I went in for my physical to obtain my medical certificate and during this process, the FAA discovered that I am on a medication called Fluvoxamine 100mg for obsessive compulsive disorder. I do have OCD but it is extremely minimal and it has been under control for several years now. The FAA denied my certificate for this reason but I am trying to find a way around this obstacle. My OCD was very very minimal to begin with so I don't understand why they are making this so difficult for me. No one can even tell that I have this disorder and it in no way makes me a "risk" in the air nor does it alter my lifestyle. Any suggestions to fulfill my dream?

...one way many people have gotten around this is to get a sport pilot license. They're not nearly as strict and the aircraft have much the same capability as a 152.

Once a medical has been denied, it's a tough row to hoe. I would say that your best bet is to go through an appeals process or get off the meds. Unfortunately you may have to look at another hobby or a different career. The FAA is strict on this stuff.

I have first hand knowledge of this.

Any SSRI at this time is not permittable. Key word is "at this time". The FAA is always reviewing medication acceptance.

I talked to Oklahoma City on this one for myself. I used to take Lexapro for OCD, not depression, but the FAA does not catergorize why you're taking it.

I'm getting back into flying and learned that you cannot get even a 3rd Class if you're on a prohibited medication.

I've consulted my doctor and was taken off the meds, but the FAA said I may still have to have the doctor provide a follow-up letter stating that I'm under his care still after stopping the medication and all is well.

Now I can get a medical and get my BFR, etc.

Hope this helps. If you need a number to the FAA OK, call an AME and they can provide you one.

As stated, medication for ADD, OCD or any other disorders that fall into that category, are currently banned by the FAA... I ran into the same problem with my ADD medication, I had to come off of the pill to get my Medical.

As stated, medication for ADD, OCD or any other disorders that fall into that category, are currently banned by the FAA... I ran into the same problem with my ADD medication, I had to come off of the pill to get my Medical.

For anyone interested - I am in exactly the same situation as the original poster. My denial letter actually specifically states that OCD is a disqualifying medical condition - I suppose they've watched Dateline NBC a few too many times and think that I will become preoccupied with the knobs and crash, or run out of gas after a dozen flyarounds trying to get that "perfect landing".

So for me to fly, it seems that I will both have to go off my medication, and be miraculously cured of OCD at the same time.

The Sport Pilot license is not an option. They've created a nice little catch 22. Your driver's license medical is enough for the Sport Pilot *unless* you've ever been denied a medical certificate. Considering the huge percentage of people on antidepressants, it would have been nice for my flight school to say "Oh and by the way, if you're on antidepressants you can't fly" before I wasted thousands of my hard earned dollars. I'm also shocked my AME didn't know that I was automatically disqualified. Maybe everyone else lies, so he's never seen an applicant on antidepressants before?

I suppose I should have done my research first so I could have skipped the AME and just gone for Sport Pilot. I just didn't think in a million years that my compulsion to wash my hands would prevent me from flying, nor would years of successful treatment with a drug that has never given me a single side effect. I figured if diabetics and epileptics(!) could get Special Issuances, that I had nothing to worry about with such a minor thing.

And now I'm a little nervous knowing there must be a ton of depressed and suicidal pilots in the sky.

For anyone interested - I am in exactly the same situation as the original poster. My denial letter actually specifically states that OCD is a disqualifying medical condition - I suppose they've watched Dateline NBC a few too many times and think that I will become preoccupied with the knobs and crash, or run out of gas after a dozen flyarounds trying to get that "perfect landing".

So for me to fly, it seems that I will both have to go off my medication, and be miraculously cured of OCD at the same time.

The Sport Pilot license is not an option. They've created a nice little catch 22. Your driver's license medical is enough for the Sport Pilot *unless* you've ever been denied a medical certificate. Considering the huge percentage of people on antidepressants, it would have been nice for my flight school to say "Oh and by the way, if you're on antidepressants you can't fly" before I wasted thousands of my hard earned dollars. I'm also shocked my AME didn't know that I was automatically disqualified. Maybe everyone else lies, so he's never seen an applicant on antidepressants before?

I suppose I should have done my research first so I could have skipped the AME and just gone for Sport Pilot. I just didn't think in a million years that my compulsion to wash my hands would prevent me from flying, nor would years of successful treatment with a drug that has never given me a single side effect. I figured if diabetics and epileptics(!) could get Special Issuances, that I had nothing to worry about with such a minor thing.

And now I'm a little nervous knowing there must be a ton of depressed and suicidal pilots in the sky.

Weston,

your history of Obsessive Compulsive which includes a current active diagnosis makes you ineligible for medical certification under regular issuance, however, by taking and requiring medication you are also ineligible for medical certification under special issuance as well. I have been diagnosed with OCD, however my condition is in remission and I don't take or need medication, which makes me eligible for Special Issuance. Get off meds for 6 months ( 90 days minimum) and apply again. If you require medication in order to function, you will continue to be ineligible for certification. If by being off medication for six months you have minor/mild symptoms of OCD or the condition remains minimal, your application will most likely be approved once you provide all pertinent medical records. The FAA doesn't care that you obsessively wash your hands; they want to make sure that you don't take medication. It's not over for you-- get off the meds and you will likely get your medical if you are otherwise qualified and your condition does not significantly impact your ability to operate an aircraft.
mr_b2b2.

Hi everyone, I've been learning to fly a Cessna 152 single prop and I have accumulated 11 hours flight time. Months ago, I went in for my physical to obtain my medical certificate and during this process, the FAA discovered that I am on a medication called Fluvoxamine 100mg for obsessive compulsive disorder. I do have OCD but it is extremely minimal and it has been under control for several years now. The FAA denied my certificate for this reason but I am trying to find a way around this obstacle. My OCD was very very minimal to begin with so I don't understand why they are making this so difficult for me. No one can even tell that I have this disorder and it in no way makes me a "risk" in the air nor does it alter my lifestyle. Any suggestions to fulfill my dream?

Join AOPA they have medical program that helps you get medical.You have been denied so its going to be harder.Check AOPA web site for details they may be able to help you obtain a medical. You can call them list all meds.It may be as simple as just changing medications.

Latest posts

Back