Meet Independence Air

FlyingHippie

Senior
Jan 27, 2003
Atlantic Coast Airlines announced this afternoon that its new low-fare airlines, to be based out of Washington, DC's Dulles Airport, will be known as "Independence Air."

Atlantic Coast stated that Independence Air will create America's largest low-fare hub in terms of total departures -- in the fifth largest air travel market in the U.S.

Independence Air will operate a fleet of at least 112 jets, including 25 Airbus A320/A319 aircraft as well as 87 CRJs. In addition to the airline's name, the company also revealed the logo and aircraft livery design for Independence Air.

The low-fare airline is expected to launch during the first half of 2004 - - with the official start date to be announced as soon as ACA is released from its present contractual obligation to United Airlines as part of the UAL bankruptcy process. Approximately 60 days prior to the first day of service, Independence Air will announce the remaining details of its marketing plan to customers, including the exact cities it will serve from Washington Dulles, its pricing system, and its full flight schedule.

The new airline's web site is:

[ www.flyi.com ]

Very unimaginative and non-descript. Probably a blessing that it's loikely it will never see the light of day.

hey airdog you can't even spell likely. unless of course you are from the bronx and that is just your accent coming through.

if you could see a) the market demand for this service and B) their cost structure and c) their overwhelming pilot and employee support, you'd be with your broker buying stock instead of on the message board.

the only reason it would not see the light of day would be if United signs the original contract, a very long shot but still mathematically possible.

I live under the flight path for IAD 19L. I'm sick of getting up at 4am to head up to BWI to fly with those idiots at Southworst to get to PVD. I Air would be great. UAL fly's direct, but at 10 am - too late for me.

Cart Pusher said:
I flew for Presidential. Good idea for an airline, bad time to try to start one.... too bad.
I brought up the Indy/Prexy similarity some time ago. Hope it works better now than it did 15 years ago.
One thing is reversed, though: Presidential started as a go-it-alone carrier (with 737s) and ended its days with smaller equipment as a code-share partner for a major (Continental Express/BAe-146s). ACA/Independence is attempting to do the opposite.

Anybody have any info on the pay rates negotiated in the new Independence air contract for airbus Capt and F/O. Any profit sharing? Retirement?

Thanks

Received this in my inbox yesterday. Is Independence Air going forward?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Independence is coming!

Dear iCLUB Members:

Thanks to the thousands of you who have signed up for the iCLUB since our name announcement a few months ago. We are now ready to open the floodgates of information to you.

We have been busy developing an airline that will earn your loyalty. We plan to turn our customers into fans by making air travel easier and less expensive, and by challenging the things about air travel that deserve to be challenged. Like building a simple, straightforward fare structure that limits fine print and restrictions. Like building a frequent flyer program that delivers awards that are easy to use. Like always treating our customers with care and respect—on the phone, at the gate, onboard—everywhere.

We are now ready to start spreading some news.

First of all, Independence Air will start flying on June 16. By the end of the summer, we will be operating 300 low-fare flights a day from Dulles to 35 cities. This is the largest and fastest airline brand launch in aviation history. And, that’s just the start. This Fall, we will launch our Airbus service to the West Coast and Florida.

All Independence Air flights are low fare. Not just flights on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays, but every flight every day. In fact, Independence Air will make Dulles Airport the largest low-fare airline hub in the U.S. by the end of the summer.

Here is some more news. As an iCLUB member, you will get $25 off your first roundtrip flight. That’s on any flight on any day to any of our destinations as long as you book your roundtrip travel by September 30, 2004 and fly by December 31, 2004. (See? Not a lot of fine print and restrictions.) Shortly, we will be sending you a temporary password so you can complete your iCLUB registration, enjoy $25 off your first roundtrip, and start earning frequent flyer points with your very first Independence Air flight.

Finally, tickets will go on sale sometime in May, and we will let our iCLUB members know the exact date by email before we tell the rest of the world.

We are going to be very busy over the next few months. By the end of the summer, we think traveling to or from Washington, DC is going to look a lot different.

Thanks again for joining the iCLUB. The official airline of faster, easier--and not the status quo--is about to take flight.

Your friends at

FLYi.com

To unsubscribe from the iCLUB and future emails, please reply to this email and type “unsubscribe†in the subject line.

Independence Air, the “i†logo mark, flyi.com and iCLUB are all service marks of Atlantic Coast Airlines.
©Atlantic Coast Airlines, 2004. 45200 Business Court; Dulles, VA 20166

:up: Dear Indepenence Air folks.

My Congrats on your Yankee Spirit, Fighting off the the Evil O etc.

You guys will do great as a result of walking the walk.

All the best,
Garcia

I just want to be able to travel from IAD to PVD or BDL with ease. U flies this route, but with a very limited schedule. US Airways once tried flying the BDL route, but U undercut them on price so they eventually pulled out. I’m sure that will be the case if I-air ever gets off the ground.

djlndc, do you mean UA when you say "U"? I ask because U has typically been used to refer to US Airways, as that was their stock ticker symbol until recently.

USAirway's former Philadelphia manager resigned ( or was forced out) and immediately was picked up by Independence Air.

Latest posts