Merger News

Posted under "Horton could become"....

Oh well, new threads are great :)

Also this report from NBC DFW. Merger could take place next week

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/AA-US-Airways-Merger-Tentatively-Set-for-Next-Week-190124021.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_DFWBrand

Well it's no suprise. Horton gets his multi million dollar golden parachute and the folks that put their heart and soul into the company get the short end of the stick. It's always been that way in this business. Rinse and Repeat.

Reactions: 1 person
Well I...N E V E R......E V E R..thought I'd be in favor of this link-up, ...BUT,...a lot of things have changed with-in the industry, and the AA/US deal pretty much..has to be made, to keep pace with DL/NW, and UA/CO.

I'll be DAMMED if I can think of ANY way PHL will work, given it's proxsimity to NYC (Lga/Jfk) and a soon to be very large DCA. I fully realize that Philly has a great European operation, BUT as much as JFK can have some tough delays, it has a brand new MEGA terminal, with TONS of extra room to expand, while(as you US guys know) PHL airport SUX !!!!!!!!!

Well I...N E V E R......E V E R..thought I'd be in favor of this link-up, ...BUT,...a lot of things have changed with-in the industry, and the AA/US deal pretty much..has to be made, to keep pace with DL/NW, and UA/CO.

I'll be DAMMED if I can think of ANY way PHL will work, given it's proxsimity to NYC (Lga/Jfk) and a soon to be very large DCA. I fully realize that Philly has a great European operation, BUT as much as JFK can have some tough delays, it has a brand new MEGA terminal, with TONS of extra room to expand, while(as you US guys know) PHL airport SUX !!!!!!!!!

I agree with your thoughts except for the PHL/JFK line of thinking. As I'm sure you know, this has been discussed several times since the merger speculation began. I have said all along that they can both survive as they draw off of a different traffic base, and one doesn't really take traffic away from the other. People in NY don't travel to PHL for a flight, and those in the PHL area don't hike to NY for theirs. There may be a small amount that do if they are somewhere in the middle of both such as central NJ, but not enough to hurt either city. You have to realize the sheer areas that surround each Airport, and just how many passengers there are to go around. I agree that in general the PHL Airport sucks, but not slot restricted, and US owns the place with minimal competition. When it comes to ATC issues, one is no better than the other.

I don't know the answer but then again I don't any US AO mechanics. Maybe one of them could answer it.

I agree with your thoughts except for the PHL/JFK line of thinking. As I'm sure you know, this has been discussed several times since the merger speculation began. I have said all along that they can both survive as they draw off of a different traffic base, and one doesn't really take traffic away from the other. People in NY don't travel to PHL for a flight, and those in the PHL area don't hike to NY for theirs. There may be a small amount that do if they are somewhere in the middle of both such as central NJ, but not enough to hurt either city. You have to realize the sheer areas that surround each Airport, and just how many passengers there are to go around. I agree that in general the PHL Airport sucks, but not slot restricted, and US owns the place with minimal competition. When it comes to ATC issues, one is no better than the other.

Bears, I have to agree with wings on this one. The distance between PHL and JFK isn't the most important factor - IMO, it's whether there's enough O&D to support international flights from both, and there probably is. NYC is the leading international O&D city and AA already provides a lot of feed from the major cities to JFK. PHL manages to support a variety of international flights with its numerous connecting flights. There may be some rationalization following a merger - here's a couple of examples:

Currently, US flies multiple flights between LGA and PHL yet the daily O&D is fewer than five each way. Yep, less than five people each way, each day. That means US is flying a lot of people from LGA to connect at PHL. Some of those connections might make sense but some might be ridiculous. If they're flying to a small domestic city served by PHL, their trip might be rational. But if they're flying to London or Madrid or Rome, they will have nonstop options at JFK. If US is currently feeding its PHL international flights with passengers from ORD, DFW, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, MIA, etc. then those passengers can easily feed AA's JFK international flights (or ORD, MIA, DFW, LAX, etc).

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=585&articleid=20130207_45_E1_CUTLIN23842&allcom=1

American Airlines' market reach getting shorter

By D.R. STEWART World Staff Writer
Published: 2/7/2013 2:13 AM

American Airlines, the bankrupt unit of AMR Corp., has a problem with its reach - domestically and internationally.

During the past five years, American has slipped from the largest airline in the world to third behind Delta Air Lines and United Airlines.

Just as worrisome, analysts say, is the eclipse of American's Oneworld global airline alliance by United's Star Alliance and Delta's SkyTeam.

Robert Herbst, an airline analyst, former American pilot and founder of AirlineFinancials.com, said American's lack of domestic passenger feed on the East and West coasts and Oneworld's scant presence in Asia are eroding its margins and passenger traffic.

In mid-2011, months before AMR Corp. filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on Nov. 29, Herbst said American needed a merger partner to survive and US Airways was the most logical candidate.

AirlineFinancials.com believes the mergers of Delta/Northwest and United/Continental provide those merged carriers pricing power above what either American or US Airways can achieve," Herbst wrote in April. "Due to their significant(ly) larger global route networks, Delta and United were able to "poach" more and more of the higher fare premium/business passengers from both American and US Airways."

A glance at the three global alliances tells the story of Oneworld's diminishing returns:

Oneworld is comprised of 13 airlines, 9,300 daily departures and 160 countries served.

Delta's SkyTeam has 19 airlines, 15,000 daily departures and serves 187 countries.

United's Star Alliance is made up of 27 airlines, 21,900 daily departures and 194 country destinations.

While Oneworld's strength is in the Atlantic, Europe and Japan, the other two alliances are strongest in the world's fastest-growing regions: China, South and Central America.

A further problem for American is its image, which is a product of 14 months in bankruptcy and the fact it is flying the industry's oldest aircraft fleet - average age of 15 years, analysts say.

"Their brand has been tarnished," said Jake Dollarhide, CEO of Longbow Asset Management in Tulsa. "American has some wonderful international flights. If you add the strong U.S. presence US Airways has, it would create more traffic on international routes. Anytime a global alliance adds a major carrier, it's going to bolster that alliance."

Industry officials said US Airways CEO Doug Parker has said the Tempe, Ariz.-based carrier would enthusiastically switch from the Star Alliance to Oneworld if American merges with his airline.

Such a switch would strengthen American's domestic network and give it more options internationally, said Michael Boyd, chairman of Boyd Group International in Evergreen, Colo.

Boyd questions American's "cornerstone" strategy of emphasizing operations at its five hub airports of Dallas/Fort Worth, Chicago, New York, Miami and Los Angeles.

"You can't expand at either (New York's John F.) Kennedy (International Airport) or Los Angeles," Boyd said. "LA has no access to China except if you live in southern California. (US Airways' hub in) Charlotte is dynamite. Charlotte is the second biggest financial center in America. You could bring American's international flows through Charlotte, like those flights to South America."

Herbst, the airline financial analyst, said removing US Airways from the Star Alliance and adding its network to the Oneworld alliance would add dozens of new destinations to Oneworld partners while weakening United's Star Alliance. It also would create new opportunities for US Airways' hubs in Charlotte, Philadelphia and Phoenix, he said.

"Market/operational studies should be done to see if Phoenix could be used as a profitable connecting gateway to the Pacific, bypassing the often flight-delayed LAX (Los Angeles International) airport and LAX competition," Herbst said. "Charlotte and Philadelphia are major international gateways for US Airways; it would be logical to expect these two hubs to grow as international traffic bypasses JFK and is connected through these two airports, providing a much better consumer experience than what JFK frequently provides."

Reading these opinions I find it hard to believe that we will be better off with the ToHo die alone Tombstone plan.

PHL is one of US' most profitable cities, US flies to more cities in Europe than AA does and PHL is very successful internationally. I dont see it being reduced, I see it being added, if US moves to One World it can be an opportunity for more flights to new cities.