Merger Plan Helps Us Airways' Revenue

Airline analyst William Lauer, however, attributed US Airways' recent improvement in passenger traffic more to fare sales than to the America West merger. That brought customers who had been flying with other airlines -- a phenomenon called "booking-away" -- back to US Airways.

The airline's load factor, or its percentage of seats filled, was a lofty 76 percent for both May and April, a significant improvement from recent months.

"The booking-away issue has been laid to rest. I don't know that they could carry more people, practically speaking," said Lauer, chairman of Allegheny Capital Management, Tarentum. But it's "a rather bogus analysis" to link the merger announcement to higher traffic flow, he said

Yeah, sure, whatever...... :rolleyes:

I dunno Busdrvr..

IMO there will always be the segment of the travelling public that could give a damn about anything other than getting the cheapest fare possible, no matter the supposed "risk"

But then you have that other segment that IS risk adverse, and the announcment of a merger, backed by financing, bla blah blah... That tends t quell fears better than the usual countdown until closure crap that seemed to be all you heard about US Airways over the last year.

huge upswing in traffic, hmmm, dunno about that. But IMO it is a positive thing when positive news comes out vs. bad.

They too will still care mostly about price, but if it comes between US now and another airline at the same price, I think there will be far less booking away, and far less of effort by FFliers to cash in miles.

I really do not care why US Airways' traffic has improved, the good news is that it has improved along with the company's operational performance. In my opinion, the merger news and better labor relations since last winter's turmoil probably have both contributed to renewed passenger confidence.

Regardless of the reason why, it's good news.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

I said it before, and I'll it say it now - passengers memories are only as short as the cheapest fare. The Holiday problems and the fact that US is still in BK (#2) doesn't seem to matter to people looking for a cheap fare to get from A to B.

It may be good news for you, but not those that have been shown the Door. As long as this puppy lives long enough to finish up our severence pay, that will be all the "Good News" that we need from this Company!!! :up:

USA320Pilot said:
I really do not care why US Airways' traffic has improved, the good news is that it has improved along with the company's operational performance. In my opinion, the merger news and better labor relations since last winter's turmoil probably have both contributed to renewed passenger confidence.

Regardless of the reason why, it's good news.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="276253"][/post]​
Please explain the better labor relations

The following is from a CWA update dated 6/17:

Here’s part of the judges written opinion:

“Of the objections to the program, surely the most compelling, from a purely human point of view, is that it represents a betrayal of the principle of “shared sacrificeâ€￾ that was championed by the company in the litigation and negotiations that resulted in over $900 million of wage and other concessions by its unionized workforce. While management employees took some pay cuts and benefit reductions, the plain truth is that those cuts were significantly less than the cuts experienced by the non-management employees. It is hardly any wonder, therefore, that the rank and file employees have reacted to the proposal with considerable outrage, as evidenced, for example, by the petition that was admitted at the hearing signed by 2,209 members of the Communications Workers of America denouncing the proposed severance plan and urging this court not to approve it.â€￾

The outrage is not going to go away just because the judge ruled that the company is legally allowed to give away a total of $37 Million to management. We are going to continue to protest this and we are going to continue to demand an accounting of where the $37 Million goes.

Still waiting for the explanation on better labor relations.

Finish or Ignore & PineyBob:

I just saw your post from PineyBob’s quote that you’re “Still waiting for the explanation on better labor relations.†It’s simple, people are more motivated, they’re working better with local management, and the complaining has subsided.

PienyBob, your comment is untrue and misleading. You said, “from what I heard ALPA MEC had a meeting and apparently they have their staple guns out. A320 has been notorious for not posting when things don't go his way.â€

Nothing could be further from the truth. This week I read an interesting email from the America West chief pilot regarding the merger that does not support your comment. In addition, ALPA National recently coordinated a joint US Airways – America West MEC meeting and all parties agreed with and understand the upcoming integration.

You’re obviously trying to stir the pot and are uninformed.

PineyBob, with all due respect, your comments above are beneath you.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

What did the MEC decide to do with the furloughed and MAA pilots? Are they being stapled?

Since he is not a Grievance rep, a member of a Negotiating Committee, a MEC member or any committee member or person that would actually deal with labor relations and the grievance process he has no idea of how bad labor relations are at US.

See he would actually have to be in the trenches flighting the battles instead of being a management cheerleader to know these things.

Back