Michigan Right to Work

delldude

Veteran
Oct 29, 2002
Downrange
In a state where the Democratic Party experiment is a proven failure, this is a good first step in drawing new business investment which the entire state needs.
A person should be free to choose and not required to join. One could call this a reverse poll tax.

Lansing — The birthplace of the nation's modern-day labor movement moved closer to becoming the nation's 24th right-to-work state after bills Gov. Rick Snyder vowed to sign into law passed their first hurdles in the Republican-controlled Legislature on Thursday.
The House and Senate each passed bills on the same day they were introduced that give private and public sector workers the right to avoid paying union dues in an organized workplace. Only police officers and firefighters would be exempt.
The package can't reach final completion until at least Tuesday because of procedural rules that require a five-day layover for two of the bills before they can be voted on in the other chamber.
[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]
From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121207/POLITICS02/212070366#ixzz2ENewqRC2[/background]​

Gonna be a fun weekend for sure. I'm sure the Purple Wave is already ordering recruiting people to flock into Michigan to riot and intimidate peacefully demonstrate against this.

Maybe Fox will show footage of palm trees when purportedly broadcasting from Lansing?

KEV, you would have Thought that this NIT WIT (R) Gov. Snyder, would have learned something from ' Brother WALKER of Wisconsin, who NOW if he had a do-over, would most likely not gone down 'that' route.

United States is a closed shop.
I don't have kids so why should I fund schools?
I didn't want the war in Iraq so why should I fund it?
Make Merika an right to pay taxes country then we'll talk.... :p

United States is a closed shop.
I don't have kids so why should I fund schools?
I didn't want the war in Iraq so why should I fund it?
Make Merika an right to pay taxes country then we'll talk.... :p

An educated population is a benefit to all.

I have ALWAYS had misgivings about right to work. Constitutionally speaking right to work is the only way to go. However when the Federal government erects barriers to true free market negotiations with the RLA, NMB, NLRB and a host of other restrictive rules & boards it takes away the fundamental Liberty of the union members to organize or even engage in a strike.

If they reppeal the RLA and abolish the NLRB then I think right to work makes sense. The role of government should be to enforce the contrats and respond if either side initiates force.

16054_498873486813259_1180397484_n.jpg

What is it....GE down NC or SC non union, pay their non boys about .25 an hour less.....keeps them nonunion happy.

21% have no health insurance? Obama fixed that.
RTW states workers can't speak up? What no state health/labor/safety departments?
2.3% poverty rate difference...thats grasping.
Wages?? See above.

Joining a union should be a personal choice, not workplace extortion.

An educated population is a benefit to all.

Of course, that is so true. Burglars use cordless drills with a harden bit, instead of an outdated crobwbar. Nothing like educating a lowlife to become the victim by making the victim the villain.

I wondered how long it'd be before someone threw out a gauzy buzzword like "freedom," or "choice." Fact is, people always have the choice to join-or not join- a union, even in a union security state.

The truth is, with depressed wages comes less consumer spending (the *real* job creator), which in turn stunts economic recovery and/or growth. As wages go, so too, does an economy, and as 700's poster notes, RTW doesn't do anything to raise the floor.

The other inconvenient truth is that with depressed wages come a smaller tax base, and silly little things like education & transportation budgets get slashed. All that does is further the disconnect between what a business owner may be looking for, and the skill set the local employment pool possesses. Also kinda hard to move goods quickly/efficiently on an outdated network of roads/rail/airways, but that seems to be lost in ALEC's zest to demonize anyone that dare try and organize.

3rd world here we come!

I wondered how long it'd be before someone threw out a gauzy buzzword like "freedom," or "choice." Fact is, people always have the choice to join-or not join- a union, even in a union security state.

The truth is, with depressed wages comes less consumer spending (the *real* job creator), which in turn stunts economic recovery and/or growth. As wages go, so too, does an economy, and as 700's poster notes, RTW doesn't do anything to raise the floor.

The other inconvenient truth is that with depressed wages come a smaller tax base, and silly little things like education & transportation budgets get slashed. All that does is further the disconnect between what a business owner may be looking for, and the skill set the local employment pool possesses. Also kinda hard to move goods quickly/efficiently on an outdated network of roads/rail/airways, but that seems to be lost in ALEC's zest to demonize anyone that dare try and organize.

3rd world here we come!

Being forced to pay agency fees isn't a choice in my book.

With higher wages come higher operating costs passed on to consumers.

The truth is, with depressed wages comes less consumer spending (the *real* job creator), which in turn stunts economic recovery and/or growth. As wages go, so too, does an economy, and as 700's poster notes...to demonize anyone that dare try and organize.

3rd world here we come!

Now you get the Obama plan. B)

PS Kev, I have seen bullying and threatening tactics when it comes to forming or joining a union. Some people are intimidated and even threatened with termination if they form or join a union.

I work in a rtw state. For a long time, i did not realize it was an anti union law. Upon hiring, hr would explain that RTW laws mean they can fire me for any reason or no reason at all. I always felt that law inhibits loyalty. As such, their is a flip side to the law: I am under no obligation to give two weeks notice and I go to the highest bidder or whoever treats me best. Usually it is a combination. It forced bussinesses to be competitive because people got the experience andmoved to greener pastures.

Btw, airlines and their standard practice of putting employees at bottom of pay scale regardless of experience or work ethic is bad for the airlines. Not much better than rtw laws

3rd world here we come!

Why is it then that companies looking build in cities and states have an issue if there is a heavy union presence there and more often than not go to RTW states??

Back