Michigan Right to Work

this isn't an AA or a DL or even an airline industry issue... it is an issue that the labor movement has not been able to demonstrate its value to American workers.

Decertification or a change in unions may or may not help AA employees but I for one - who have nothing against the labor movement - expect that if the keen minds who are on this forum can't come up w/ a plan to save labor in the airline industry, then the chances of labor having a meaningful place in American business has to be questioned, given that the airline industry is one of the most heavily unionized private sector industries left in the US.

Your more right (unfortunately) than wrong WT as it applies to the Airlines, and the decline of Strong Unions. KEV and my oldest Son, both work for DL, and as I explained to my kid, this 'Michigan thing' (could) negatively impact(I PRAY NOT) DL ramp(because of DTW (MI.) getting the IAM back in. and I'll further concede that TRUCKING has been lost.
BUT,
taken in totality, AIR/ROAD/SEA and RAIL, Sea(ports/Longshoremen) and RAIL will become even More STRONG Union wise. (Unless you care to believe in Eolesen's PIPE DREAM of ships by-passing LAX/SEA, then sailing 3 Additional days LONGER, through the P C, then up to IAH/MSY....to get cx. to SFO or SLC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!, or Unloading in the NEW WORLD Superport of 'EL-PANCHO' Mexico, then sending said containers by rail..into the US.)
Poor eolesen. It seems he's OVERLOOKED the FACT that 'NO TRAIN Moves-an-Inch' within the USA without having undergone a FRA Mandated 'Class-1' inspection of the entire train.(OPPS, SORRY, can't do said inspection in say "GUADALAHARA')(Imagine a half dozen UNION RR carmen inspecting a 125 car freight train, changing EVERY Brake shoe, or looking for so much as any loose nut or bolt) ! OMG !
So in summary, the MI 'thing' was a fluke, but most likely will get repealed down the road, AND todays remaining Strong Unions will get EVEN STRONGER.

Bob,
you and I have butted heads over the years but on your first paragraph you and I are in complete agreement.

I was surprised from the beginning that few people recognized the threat of the MI actions to the airline industry. Unlike WI, MI is home to a large airline hub. I am fully aware - as are you - that airlines are covered by the RLA but if anyone doesn't think that a weakening of the overall labor movement in the US won't harm the airline industry, they are living under a rock.

We're read for years about many airline employees wanting to scrap the RLA - at least as it applies to airlines. With a greatly weakened labor movement esp. key northern states - and all of the airlines have hubs in the formerly strong labor states - the ability to push thru a change that would remove airlines from the RLA would be a whole lot easier.

But every one of those airlines also has large hubs or headquarters in southern RTW states. If airline employees in those large hubs - who have seen mgmt decimate one airline labor contract after another - are given a choice, you can bet a large number even in RTW states will choose no representation if removed the RLA.

And then people like Bob and others can get the freedom to walk if that is what they want while airlines get the chance to offer the option to drop union membership. Or we can keep the status quo and airline mgmts can continue to push thru their changes.

Nine years into my membership on this forum, I know full well that some of the people on this forum are incredibly bright and articulate. Kevin and I may clash about a word or two, but make no mistake that Kev's command of the English language and his ability to communicate puts him at about the 98.9th percentile of Americans - and I yield to him in that department.

Others have got other gifts and passions.... I would love to see them ALL use their considerable gifts to make a mark on the labor movement.

What can't continue to happen if there is any hope of saving labor's influence in the airline industry is for this board to be a place where the converted masses come to huddle around the watering hole and moan together.
It's time to stop preaching to the choir and take the message I read here to the seats of government, to the media, to town squares.
Except for a few black sheet like Josh and I who managed to infiltrate the flock, the people here believe in the power of labor.

The problem is they live in a world that is increasingly less convinced and who are not afraid to dismantle the entire labor apparatus and fear next to nothing any more for doing so.

You know what I want to see?

I want to see people on here writing articles and columns - use a pseudonym if you need to protect your identity - touting the accomplishments of labor unions in the airline industry.

I want to see people from this forum standing together to "press the flesh" with the public who pays airline employee salaries and tell them why cheap labor is bad for passengers.

I want to see pictures of a bunch of people from here going to Lansing or any other state capital to protest and stand together as airline labor members.

I can assure you that if this forum is nothing more than a forum to commiserate, then the end of the labor movement in the airline industry won't be that far down the road.

I'd love to celebrate those on THIS FORUM who play a part in turning the tide and making a difference.

Consider me your greatest fan but also your toughest critic. I would absolutely be delighted to celebrate your success but I'm not going to gloss over the very real challenges you face to get there.

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.....I never realized they could organize:

Police seek Union bank robbers

I'm guessing the six union robbers went on break and made the one illegal alien robber do the job and then returned just in time to take the loot (or credit). :blush:

I'm guessing the six union robbers went on break and made the one illegal alien robber do the job and then returned just in time to take the loot (or credit). :blush:

Probably did it on Saturday so they could collect time and a half.

Back