Mid Atlantic Payrates Question.

Sep 1, 2002
What are the payrates going to be for pilots at Mid Atlantic. The last information I saw, was Eagle payrates and workrules. Are the EMB 170 pilots going to get Eagle 70 seat pay? If so, they will be payed less than ASA,CMR, and Horizon for flying 70 seat aircraft. Can Chip or anyone else shed some light on this.

InclusiveScope,

There is an ALPA grievance over this issue because there are no AMR Eagle EMB-170 pilot pay rates, just 70-seat RJ pilot pay rates.

I forgot the exact pay rate, but I believe a first year EMB-170 Captain will be paid about $57 per hour and a first officer Eagle TOS. I'll get the exact rates and post them shortly.

Respectfully,

Chip

Just to clarify for non-pilots.

$57 per hour is per flight-hour only. FAA restricts pilots to 100 hours in a 30 day period and 1000 hrs per year.

So the maximum pre-tax income for this 1st year captain is $57,000/yr.

It should be noted that a MidAtlantic "first year captain" has over a DECADE of longevity from US Airways prior to his furlough.

I doubt any current mainline pilot would even consider a payrate like that -- but as is the new industry standard, ALPA eats their young and sh!t rolls downhill.

They should have at the very LEAST matched the Comair or Horizon contract.

Just as a comparison.

These are Comair 70 seat payrates.

1st year Captain: $66.34 per hour
5th year Captain: $74.94 per hour
10 year Captain: $88.86 per hour
15 year Captain: $103.47 per hour
Max 70 seat Captain pay: $118.22 per hour

and just for the heck of it: First officer payrates:

2nd year F/O: $41.04 per hour
5th year F/O: $44.96 per hour
Max F/O pay: $51.49 per hour

Thanks for the reply Chip. That is what I thought, but I wanted verification.

Not only are ASA, CMR, Horizon, and Skywest rates higher for a 70 seat jet - the average MESA 70 seat captain will be making more than that because of the difference in longevity. My question then to any of the ALPA defenders is:
How does this protect the profession? We at the "regional" level have been told for years that mainline scope is really good for us in the long run because "it protects the good jobs". Now the cheapest 70 seat pilots will be mainline pilots. In fact, the average CMR and Horizon 70 seat pilot will be making almost TWICE what a "mainline" Mid Atlantic pilot makes. Tell me again why regional pilots should support mainline pilots attempts to limit our carriers?

You shouldn't any more. The mainline senior pilot greed has allowed this to occur. They will agree to anything as long as they get to keep their seat. Of course, they will blame it on Ch 11 this time. But it all goes back to B scale, etc. It has alwas been that way. That is one of the reasons I am out of the industry, those guys (and a coulple of girls) make me sick at first sight.

Ed :angry:

Since Pilots and F/A's are not the only souls that will make up MAA....heres some other figures I've come upon based on having spoken with people whom have interviewed with MAA

Flight Dispatcher (FAA Licensed) $26,000 per year

Stores Foreman (Un-licensed position) $40,000 per year

I have seen no figures on any other positions to date...many are hung up in arbitraition as I understand it.

Based on what we've seen and know...it doesn't look like much of a future there.

Express affiliates were in essence a stepping stone to the mainline of the past....now it's just a job...and a poor paying job at that !!! :(

Mechanic and related contract is abriitration as the company does not want utility or stores and they want part-time mechanics and the right to vendor out all work.

But as Dave said in his road shows "I will give all our furloughees a job at MidAtlantic!"

What about our laid of utility and stores folks Dave?

InclusiveScope, Your constant rantings about Mainline vs: regionals is pretty stale. If the flying goes to a mainline carrier, the payrates at some point can be "repaired", if the industrial "line in the sand" has been drawn at the 50-70 seat range. If the larger airframe flying goes to a regional, (I'm seaking of the EMB 170-195 family) the job becomes just another job. After all, look at what you guys (Eagle pilots) did with your last contract. 16 year deal, "no strike" clause, and pay raises based, AND gauranteed to be below industry highs. Right now, industry wide there are close to 10,000 mainline pilots on the street. It would seem that nothing would make you happier than to keep them there, while you take their job for "just a little more" than you're making now. Why would you want to do that to the profession?

"Right now, industry wide there are close to 10,000 mainline pilots on the street. It would seem that nothing would make you happier than to keep them there, while you take their job for "just a little more" than you're making now.

I guess there isn't that much of a need for a bunch of highly paid airline professionals at this time and probably never will be again.......Time to go into the trucking industry. They just got mandatory long overnites by the govt. today.

Chip Munn said:
There is an ALPA grievance over this issue because there are no AMR Eagle EMB-170 pilot pay rates, just 70-seat RJ pilot pay rates.

I forgot the exact pay rate, but I believe a first year EMB-170 Captain will be paid about $57 per hour and a first officer Eagle TOS. I'll get the exact rates and post them shortly.
Chip,
since Eagle operates no EMB-170s, nor do they have a pay rate, how can you possibly base your rate on theirs? Specifically, what does your deal say, does it say your rate will be the Eagle EMB-170 rate, or does it say it will be the Eagle 70 seat rate? Also, I am curious why MDA pilots don't get the pay for their appropriate years of service, unless of course management is figuring that only time of service at MDA counts, and therefore by default, everyone is on the one year pay. Thanks,
Michael

Furloughedagain said:
I can not even begin to imagine why you think that Chip has the answer to those questions.
Remember Tom Terrific? Well he is Chip Terrific. lol Hey Chip, just a little humor. You keep the boards alive with all the soap opera scenarios.

Mike:

The US Airways - ALPA supplemental restructuring agreement states:

SJs - The company may operate MDA as a separate division within mainline -- US Airways, Inc. with such operation limited to Large SJs. Wages, benefits and work rules will match the AA Eagle pilots' agreement.

Jets For Jobs Rates - The Company may implement the following changes to rates of pay for MidAtlantic ("MDA") and for Jets for Jobs with Participating Wholly Owned Carriers and Participating Affiliates:

1. Non-MDA Jets for Jobs rates of pay

a. Captains paid in accordance with the appliable contract with longevity under that contract; no longevity credit for prior US Airways service.

b. First Officer rates of pay top of scale under applicable contract.

2. MDA rates of pay for US Airways pilots

a. Captains paid in accordance with MDA contract with longevity under that contract; no longevity credit for prior US Airways service.

b. First Officer rates of pay top of scale under MDA contract.

Respectfully,

Chip

Latest posts

Back