MKE Focus City

AAG2000

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
I haven''t seen a press release or anything, but it''s already in the computer systems: daily nonstops from MKE to BOS, DCA, LGA, LAS, LAX and MCO, starting July 1. Has NWA has finally decided to slam the door on Midwest, or is this a preemptive strike against AirTran? Or maybe a little of both? It doesn''t seem like YX is much of a threat to anyone these days, but FL already flies from MKE to ATL, FLL, MCO, and TPA, so it wouldn''t be unreasonable for them to move into the higher-yield East Coast markets. In any event, this is a rare departure from hub service for NWA, which has until now done probably the least point-to-point flying of all the majors. Can we expect more to come?

----------------
On 5/11/2003 6:11:32 PM FrugalFlyer wrote:

Interesting.
Which cities out of MKE will be NW mainline and which cities NW Airlink?

----------------​

All cities will be NW mainline. All are served with 1 flight daily. They all depart MKE early in the morning and return to MKE for the evening, with the exception of LAX. LAX is an evening departure from MKE.

Very interesting. I tend to think this is more a preemptive strike against AirTran than anything else, but your guess is as good as mine.

I saw them, too.

I have no idea what''s going on. I remember NW tried to build MKE into a "mini-hub" back in the early 90s, but it was closed-down after the near-bankruptcy in 1993. Also, Senior Management has said again and again that NW will continue to be a purely "hub and spoke" carrier. Maybe this is a "trial balloon" to see if a few, very selective point-to-point services make sense.

Latest posts