My first 30 days

As a pax flying out of PHL, I already know how gnarly US is. I certainly appreciate being able to read what the bosses are telling you folks as at least I can better understand the rathole I'm pissing my money down as I stick with US. But my wife and I fly several TAs a year and we're more or less stuck with the management team for the time being because of our proximity to PHL and our desire to get to Europe NS.

In some ways your situation is no different than any other job. Lots of bosses who profess to know it all and behind them a codified system of across the board inertia which makes substantive change very difficult unless there is actually a manager who doesn't have their head planted squarely up their ass and can smell more than the roses.

Right off the bat I'm sceptical as this guy is talking in broad strokes which don't demonstrate any original thinking on his part. OTOH, a guy in his position is compelled to employ the corporate lexicon of doublespeak, at least initially. Give him a little more time to find out if he has the guts to tell Parker that the Emperor has no clothes.

It won't take long to see what his mettle is as john john points out the contined fundamental flaws in SHARES which chews away at any hope for addressing the fundamental operational problems which make US operations so unreliable. And lets face it, all airline operations improve this time of year when the weather is kinder. The only glitches at this time of year are of the self-inflicted kind -- and US does have lots of those, don't they?

I'm just curious as to if the freight problems to London have been a year round phenomenon or if they relate to the switch to a 752 the past several weeks awaiting a free 67 for the route while they reconfig the A330. In any case, it's yet another example of operational problems caused by stretching things too thin with seasonal TA routes and Tempe's inability to fathom what being a big airline flying more than just west routes is all about.

As to the PHL hub issues. We've felt that the frontliners have been doing a good job for quite a while as most do try to put on a good face and get things done. Can't speak to behind the scenes things as we rarely see the baggage guys. Bags usually pop out in a reasonable time at A-west while there's some good days and some bad ones on the domestic side. What else do they need in PHL in terms of operations. Or is the main problem there entrenched attitudes among certain stratas?

We'd like to see you guys succeed, but our opinion of your management team is that these folks need to relocate from Tempe to Tehran and preach their BS to those people.

Barry

Back