New Employee- How hard is it to use your flight benefits

MrTMac

Aug 21, 2007
Hello all,

I think I have the option of taking a part time position with US Airways, but would only be interested if you can actually use flight benefits. I've heard that with airlines going to smaller jets and reducing flights it is very difficult.
Despite the poor pay I would want this job if my wife and I can use the flight benefits, domestic and international.
Is it more difficult to go international? I know it is more difficult during the vacation season- but we don't mind going off season. Thanks

Also- I've read a lot of posts on here about flight benefits and don't know all the terms you use such as ZED, ID 90...

Run Far, far away. If you want to work for an airline so you get travel bennies, go to SWA, CAL, DAL...............

This was the WORST summer ...sit at the airport maybe if you're lucky you can fly out in 3-4 days..No kidding

Regionals=less seats for employees=W_A_I_T!

I have to agree, this summer has been a joke. Nonrevs are left behind on almost every flight due to lack of seats. As a commuting flight attendant, the jumpseat and I have become REAL close. If you are thinking of taking this job for the flight benefits, think again. They are not worth the hassle and I normally end up buying tickets (usually on other airlines which are cheaper) just to get a confirmed seat.

I have to agree, this summer has been a joke. Nonrevs are left behind on almost every flight due to lack of seats. As a commuting flight attendant, the jumpseat and I have become REAL close. If you are thinking of taking this job for the flight benefits, think again. They are not worth the hassle and I normally end up buying tickets (usually on other airlines which are cheaper) just to get a confirmed seat.
Especially if you are traveling with other family members!

To even think about coming to work here is a total misdirection of energy.

To consider employment for the flight benefit will evoke a huge belly laugh from virtually every USAirways employee. We're not laughing at you, but we know from experience that this benefit is an almost worthless, empty promise.

Please let me suggest a workable solution:

1. Plan far in advance to take advantage of heavily discounted fares and purchase a ticket. Most airline employees do it that way.

2. Fly another airline in an attempt to have your luggage arrive when and where you do.

bah don't listen to the nah sayers , it's a great job! just think of all the airports you'll get to know intimately as you spend hours and days inside of them , i can walk around LAS with my eyes closed ...i can here the ding ding ding of the slot machines now :ph34r: ....

In my opinion, the responses above are not accurate. Flying free is a great benefit and I do it all the time. I would make Platinum if all my non revving was for revenue tickets and I rarely get bumped. It takes a little bit of planning and flexibility. Granted, flights are fuller now than before and I occasionally will cancel a trip due to flight loads, but the secret is not just showing up for a flight and being surprised. You need to plan ahead and select times and dates where your chances are better.. Took my family of 5 to Kauai in July with no problems but I planned ahead and selected dates inbetween the heavier booked dates.

I hate to say it, but I think we all started here with the naive belief that we would be jetting off somewhere on the weekends for free. Forget travelling on the weekends, forget Monday, and forget Friday too. So, that leaves you Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, but don't forget you have to be at work to earn those "benefits". Also, keep in mind that if you are non-reving and don't make it back on time, they can fire you for "job abandonment". To answer you question, No the flight benefits are not worth it. Get a job that pays more, and buy your tickets for vacation.

IF free airline travel is what You are after, US is definitely NOT the airline you want to work for. Unless you are a FLIGHT CREW Member where a jumpseat is available (providing it is avail) be advised the Free Travel is nothing more than drama filled suspense, lots of sitting/waiting/hoping and usually getting pretty p*ssed off in the process. US mainline flights are packed to the gills and the squadron of Express carriers that make up the bulk of the schedule operate on a 50/50 basis. Many commuters opt to travel Offline or even drive because of the headache. (I haven't flown US on "MY TIME" in over two years).

In my opinion, the responses above are not accurate. Flying free is a great benefit and I do it all the time. I would make Platinum if all my non revving was for revenue tickets and I rarely get bumped. It takes a little bit of planning and flexibility. Granted, flights are fuller now than before and I occasionally will cancel a trip due to flight loads, but the secret is not just showing up for a flight and being surprised. You need to plan ahead and select times and dates where your chances are better.. Took my family of 5 to Kauai in July with no problems but I planned ahead and selected dates inbetween the heavier booked dates.

'fess up!

Have you ever had to call in sick (or swap shifts with someone) for the job that provides you with these great benefits because you were stuck somewhere?