az_wild727

Senior
Sep 13, 2005
PHX
Up for discussion...

There has been talk of US Airways flight 720/721

US 720 PHL dep 2245 arr 1105 LHR
US 721 LHR dep 1250 arr 1620 PHL

Commencing 3/29/2008 or so the rumors say.

If true, the flight times are perfect. Should make for a decent connection to BMI's bank of connecting flights. Arriving bank won't have to overnight in London to make the PHL connection.

Up for discussion...

If true, the flight times are perfect. Should make for a decent connection to BMI's bank of connecting flights. Arriving bank won't have to overnight in London to make the PHL connection.
dude, you don't live in reality.
make some friends. be a kid. go to a kegger, drink beer and smoke cigarettes.

dude, you don't live in reality.
make some friends. be a kid. go to a kegger, drink beer and smoke cigarettes.

And to you dude, don't pick on a kid (though I think he is pretty big kid now). Didn't you ever have anything that you really enjoyed as a kid??? Don't squash or put down his passion....or his dreams....don't showboat for the board....let him do his thing and ignore him if it bothers you.

I was always the kid that loved planes growing up....I used to like to talk about them whenever I could....for whoever would listen. I'm just glad I never came across someone like you (and a lot on this board) who would have told me to grow up, get a life, and "be normal"

EDIT TO ADD: Wanted to throw out there that I don't disagree that his whole act is pretty annoying....just want to say that I think he should be left alone to do his thing while he is still young/maturing

Up for discussion...

there is nothing on usairways .com that reads that. i checked the sched and it's not on the website.

First an airline has to acquire a landing slot(s) at LHR. Open Skies allowing everyone permission to fly into LHR and getting an actual landing slot are two entirely different things.

If LCC were to acquire landing slots at LHR, I'm sure there will be major press releases announcing same.

First an airline has to acquire a landing slot(s) at LHR. Open Skies allowing everyone permission to fly into LHR and getting an actual landing slot are two entirely different things.

If LCC were to acquire landing slots at LHR, I'm sure there will be major press releases announcing same.

Most likely will come from BMI.

Most likely will come from BMI.
I'm not so sure. There are already 2 * alliance airlines offering service from North America to LHR. Likewise, 1-world has AA and BA serving LHR and Sky Team will have DL and CO (and maybe NW?). It looks like US may be again left on the outside looking in.

LH or BMI or SK or OS or any of the other * alliance airlines, if they are going to give up / transfer / sell LHR slots, will either:
1) give it to a partner airline that can serve a better market than PHL-LHR (there already are BA flights on the route). For example, JFK-LHR would be a better slot for a * alliance carrier, even with all the competition on the route since this is a gaping hole in their network.
2) start service to North America themselves. BMI could do it. Also I could see LH doing this (LHR-USA routes) since I believe BA is considering starting service from JFK to other EU cities when Open Skies are in effect.

This rumor is also running wild on flyertalk....unless it started here with King. Can anyone shed light on this? The enactment (or beginning phases) of Open Skies begins in March 2008. CO has already officially announced service, which in itself is quite historic.

I'm not so sure. There are already 2 * alliance airlines offering service from North America to LHR. Likewise, 1-world has AA and BA serving LHR and Sky Team will have DL and CO (and maybe NW?). It looks like US may be again left on the outside looking in.

LH or BMI or SK or OS or any of the other * alliance airlines, if they are going to give up / transfer / sell LHR slots, will either:
1) give it to a partner airline that can serve a better market than PHL-LHR (there already are BA flights on the route). For example, JFK-LHR would be a better slot for a * alliance carrier, even with all the competition on the route since this is a gaping hole in their network.
2) start service to North America themselves. BMI could do it. Also I could see LH doing this (LHR-USA routes) since I believe BA is considering starting service from JFK to other EU cities when Open Skies are in effect.
Really?? You don't seem to understand the Facts today. Here they are:
1. And which *A Domestic carrier do you propose interline with BMI at JFK which offers connectivity throughout the US?
2. BMI has stated they do NOT intend to fly LHR-U.S. next year after Open Skies is effective, but instead to concentrate on the Middle/Far East. Currently BMI owns over 80 PAIRS of slots at LHR.
3. BA's average Load Factor during Winter was about 76% and during High Season (July) about 88%. US's to LGW was less in winter and close to BA's in July. The summer load factors alone justify transfer of the PHL-LGW route to LHR as *A competition to BA. Additionally, you seem to ignore the potential inflow of existing Philadelphia region US FFs who now connect through IAD, via UA, because US doesn't offer a route, plus the existing PHL-LGW passengers who would prefer LHR.

US would be foolish not to transfer PHL-LGW to LHR, or to retain LGW only as a secondary passenger/cargo entry point with a 757. I believe they will acquire the slots from BMI as I stated in another post. In fact they probably already have a tenative agreement. Even IF the originator of this thread has incorrect or tenative schedule dates for the new service, I believe his general assertion is correct.

Really?? You don't seem to understand the Facts today. Here they are:
1. And which *A Domestic carrier do you propose interline with BMI at JFK which offers connectivity throughout the US?

LHR-NYC is, IMHO, a major gap/hole in the * alliance network. There should be a large enough O&D in this market, enough * alliance customers in the NYC area who right now have to 1-stop to LHR from NYC. If *alliance has extra slots at LHR, there are better cities for that slot than PHL and certainly better *alliance carriers than US for those slots.

2. BMI has stated they do NOT intend to fly LHR-U.S. next year after Open Skies is effective, but instead to concentrate on the Middle/Far East. Currently BMI owns over 80 PAIRS of slots at LHR.

Did BMI state this before or after Open Skies?

3. BA's average Load Factor during Winter was about 76% and during High Season (July) about 88%. US's to LGW was less in winter and close to BA's in July. The summer load factors alone justify transfer of the PHL-LGW route to LHR as *A competition to BA. Additionally, you seem to ignore the potential inflow of existing Philadelphia region US FFs who now connect through IAD, via UA, because US doesn't offer a route, plus the existing PHL-LGW passengers who would prefer LHR.

Based on the reviews US has been getting about their reliable operation and their Envoy product lately, do you realistically think that FFs will be lining up to pay a premium to fly US Envoy PHL-LHR or would rather 1-stop on UA (or AC)? Stop chugging the kool-aid.

US would be foolish not to transfer PHL-LGW to LHR, or to retain LGW only as a secondary passenger/cargo entry point with a 757.

If US gets the LHR slot(s) and given the fact that all US major carriers now will offer service to LHR, ofcourse US would be foolish not to fly to LHR. I am just of the opinion that if * alliance carriers have extra LHR slots there are better uses for those slots than US PHL-LHR. I just can't see right now US getting those slots as a slam dunk.

LHR-NYC is, IMHO, a major gap/hole in the * alliance network. There should be a large enough O&D in this market, enough * alliance customers in the NYC area who right now have to 1-stop to LHR from NYC. If *alliance has extra slots at LHR, there are better cities for that slot than PHL and certainly better *alliance carriers than US for those slots..... and so on and so on...
Your replies are obviously based on an emotional desire to bash US and PHL and ignore the facts presented, or the realities of international alliances - and not worth point to point debate.

Can you provide proof there is "large enough" O&D at JFK for a new entry (like BMI), with over 20 daily flights already on the route and more to come next year? Why on earth do you think UA abandoned the route? Do you have any idea what the average O&D % of DL's JFK-LHR service is versus connecting traffic? BMI announced their intent to forego LHR-JFK on November 11th - quite a long time after Open Skies was announced. Further they have delayed delivery of their additional 330s until 2009. Get me some facts, your inexperience in these matters is showing.

Before US can think about flying to LHR they first need to get there s*&t together about flying to China.

US Airways Stresses Commitment
To Philadelphia-Beijing Flights

US Airways is moving to assure
the U.S. Transportation Dept. that it
will reach agreement with the City
of Philadelphia to gain the airport
gates it needs for its proposed
China flights and will also have the
right aircraft by the time the service
is due to begin in 2009.

US Airways was one of the carriers
tentatively awarded new China
flights by DOT after a hard-fought
regulatory proceeding this year
(DAILY, Sept. 26). The carrier won
the new-entrant designation for
2009, plus seven weekly frequencies
for a daily service between Philadelphia
and Beijing. However, questions
arose recently about whether
the proposed Beijing service would
be affected by the carrier’s negotiations
with the City of Philadelphia
over gate availability at the airport.
Maxjet, which did not win any
China route awards, urged DOT to
revisit its new-entrant award to US
Air and instead consider Maxjet.

In its latest DOT filing, US Airways
affirmed — “in the strongest
terms possible†— its commitment
to Philadelphia, its hub operation
and its proposed China service
[DOT-OST-2007-28567]. The airline
said its commitment to international
service at Philadelphia will “not
only continue, but grow.†The airline
also states that an agreement
with the city regarding gates “can
and will be reached long before
2009,†when the Beijing flights are
scheduled to begin.

US Airways “urges [DOT] not to
take any precipitous action that
might keep the company and the
[city] from successfully concluding
their discussions.†Both parties have
“powerful incentives†to ensure
that an agreement is reached ensuring
gates will be available for Beijing
flights.

The carrier also disputes Maxjet’s
claim that it hasn’t begun efforts to
obtain the necessary aircraft. US
Airways said it has already had discussions
with lessors and other carriers
“regarding terms under which
aircraft could be acquired,†even
though the China route award has
not been made final. “While US Airways
would like to move forward
with its [aircraft] plans, it would be
foolhardy for any carrier to sign a
binding commitment for aircraft
before a final order is issued.â€

Maxjet argued that US Airways’
statements during negotiationswith the city call into question the airline’s commitment
to its China route. Maxjet said US Airways is
using the withdrawal of Beijing service as a threat to
exert leverage on the city during gate negotiations.

The use of the route as a pawn should not be allowed,
Maxjet believes. “The public interest is not served by
permitting US Airways to bully Philadelphia†with
the China flights, said Maxjet. -[email protected]

Your replies are obviously based on an emotional desire to bash US and PHL and ignore the facts presented, or the realities of international alliances - and not worth point to point debate.

I'm not bashing US - I'm telling it as it is. They're unreliable operationally, and their in-flight product is average at best. US is a a regional * alliance member (similar to LOT or Spanair or TAP). If * alliance does have surplus slot(s) at LHR, IMHO, US Airways is probably near the bottom of the list of * alliance carriers to use/lease/buy that slot. It is not bashing, it is telling it as it is. If US gets the LHR slots (to buy/least, etc) then great, but they will have to do a lot of lobbying and have other * alliance airlines lobbying on their behalf.

Looks like our young man knew what he was talking about.

US Airways Announces First Ever Service to London’s Heathrow Airport
Airline Plans Daily Service from Philadelphia Hub

Nov. 20, 2007

US Airways today announced it will begin service at London’s Heathrow Airport early next year. Service between Philadelphia and London Heathrow is scheduled to start on March 29, 2008 with tickets available for purchase on Dec. 1. The airline plans to operate the flights with US Airways flagship international aircraft, the Airbus A330, offering 29 Envoy and 259 economy seats.

The new Philadelphia-Heathrow route will be US Airways’ seventh new transatlantic route since 2006. With the new service, US Airways’ European destinations served from Philadelphia increase to 20.

US Airways President Scott Kirby said, “We are extremely excited to enter the lucrative Heathrow market and bring this valuable service to the Philadelphia community. We were fortunate to identify a unique opportunity to acquire landing and takeoff rights at Heathrow, and given Heathrow’s importance as a European gateway as well as its close proximity to London for business travelers, we are pleased to take advantage of that opportunity.

“We are extremely appreciative to the U.S. Department of Transportation and U.S. Department of State for their leadership in reaching an Open Skies agreement with the European Union, which makes our entry into Heathrow possible.â€

Kirby continued, “At this point we have not made any additional decisions regarding other international service out of Philadelphia. As we stated previously, we look forward to working with Philadelphia Mayor-elect Michael Nutter to achieve our mutual goal of growing international service at Philadelphia International Airport.â€

The airline recently acquired the Heathrow arrival/departure slots necessary to operate this schedule:

Philadelphia – London Heathrow London Heathrow – Philadelphia

Flight Departure Arrival Flight Departure Arrival

720 10:45 p.m. 11:05 a.m. 721 12:50 p.m. 4:00 p.m.

US Airways currently serves 19 million customers annually at its Philadelphia hub, operating 390 daily flights to 108 destinations in the United States, Canada, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America.

Latest posts