New LHR service.

My guess would be that PHL-LGW will be flown by a 757. Ideally, it could be flown as a daylight flight in both directions which would give US a competive advantage in that regard as well as prevent problems of overcrowding the Intl terminal during the peak arr/dept periods. The downside though, is that it would require 2 planes.

Since I haven't seen any jackhammers and cranes working on an extension to A-West, I suppose this means the dreaded mobile lounges for Summer, 2008.

According to the first post in this thread the departure time is scheduled for 10:45 PM. There should be an open departure gate at that time. I'm not so sure about the arrival though.

According to the first post in this thread the departure time is scheduled for 10:45 PM. There should be an open departure gate at that time. I'm not so sure about the arrival though.

True. But hasn't the plan been to add three European cities each year? If you count LHR as one of those (even if it is still London,) then where are they going to park the other two transatlantic departures?

And there will still be a bottleneck for arrival gates. Hence, LHR will probably park on a remote spot and use the "mobile lounges" to bring people to the terminal. Later, it will be towed to a gate for the 10:45PM departure.

And there will still be a bottleneck for arrival gates. Hence, LHR will probably park on a remote spot and use the "mobile lounges" to bring people to the terminal. Later, it will be towed to a gate for the 10:45PM departure.

I was thinking that it was going to have to be something like that. This summer the Athens flight left at 4:00pm....but there is no way that they can be thinking that the incoming LHR flight will take the gate that is vacated by the 4:00pm Athens departure. I would say that there is more than a 50% chance that the LHR flight would arrive while ATH was still at the gate. I definitely think we will see some mobile lounge action.

Or the 757 TA flights departing from B/C.....

Jim

Or even the 767s. We did that years ago. I remember departing for Paris from C29. I'm certain there is plenty of qualified staff available to tow the aircraft from A-West or the hard stand to the B or C concourses. And we all know what a breeze ramp traffic is. Should work great.

One option for PHL gates would be for several 757's inbound from Europe to park on a remote pad, passengers deplane via the Mobile Lounges. The aircraft could be partially serviced their then an hour or so prior to departure tow to a B/C gate. Not a great plan and yes sometimes delays might occur but I beilive it could work, but far from ideal.

My 2 cents

LGA777

And we all know what a breeze ramp traffic is. Should work great.
So true - and I'm sure I get your hint of sarcasm which I agree with.

Seems like the only choices, though, are "nesting" (which Parker & Kirby both said contributed to last summer's problems), people movers, or some TA departures from B/C. Or wait for the announcement that some TA flights will be moved to CLT.

Jim

Here's an idea! Have the planes land at BOS, let them go thru Customs there and head to Philly afterwards! Use B/C for arrivals then and push them E-170's over to "F" where they belong.

Or the 757 TA flights departing from B/C.....

Jim

Now that sounds like a real good idea. Why couldn't they do that last summer? Actually, I don't think gate space was as much of a problem as DP wants PHL to believe. The longest and most common delays were always maintenance.

Now that sounds like a real good idea. Why couldn't they do that last summer? Actually, I don't think gate space was as much of a problem as DP wants PHL to believe. The longest and most common delays were always maintenance.

The biggest problem is getting the staffing to actually move the airplane from A-West to C. It worked for the hub operation in FLL because they had very senior agents that could be trusted to do the towing and ride in the cockpit for radio contact with ground and guard the brakes. I don't think there are enough old-timer ramp people in PHL to do the job anymore, and the newhires would probably tow the airplane off the property, strip it and then sell the carcass for scrap.

Sarcasm? ME????

So I'm trying to understand this ............

US is going to fly to LHR - one of the most lucrative business travel airports in the world - and try to compete with the likes of BA first and buiness class with the joke that Envoy service has become? What in the world makes this management team think that anyone in their right mind would pay to fly on US to LHR in Envoy when for the same money you can fly on BA and have far superior service and connect to anywhere in the world from LHR?

And - to make it even more of a joke - the flight doesn't arrive in London until 11:05AM - so you in essence lose an entire day upon arrival given that you have get through customs and into the city.

Gotta love that Kool Aid!

What in the world makes this management team think that anyone in their right mind would pay to fly on US to LHR in Envoy when for the same money you can fly on BA and have far superior service and connect to anywhere in the world from LHR?

Same reason the flights to FRA were full when people had the LH option? Or the flights to CDG were full with the AF option? Will be interesting to see next summer what type of loads they carry up front.

PS- I agree about the service standards in Envoy, but appearantly its not bad enough to have Tempe concerned yet about the bottom line from the number of Envoy seats being sold.

US is going to fly to LHR - one of the most lucrative business travel airports in the world - and try to compete with the likes of BA first and buiness class with the joke that Envoy service has become? What in the world makes this management team think that anyone in their right mind would pay to fly on US to LHR in Envoy when for the same money you can fly on BA and have far superior service and connect to anywhere in the world from LHR?

And - to make it even more of a joke - the flight doesn't arrive in London until 11:05AM - so you in essence lose an entire day upon arrival given that you have get through customs and into the city.

Gotta love that Kool Aid!

Thats why It's Called "A Choice" Bone Head! You Have A Choice To FLy US Or Someone Else! Seems Every Flt I Have Worked In Envoy Has Been Full, And Not ONE Pax EVER Complained! <_<

Latest posts

Back