New Service

U will be flying Sat non-stop service BOS-PUJ in January. Did anybody know this?? Again, no press release. :down:

Wow, cool, that should be a great route for us. :up:

And I didn't even notice it, and I pay far more attention to the US schedule than regular, sane people. Sigh...these people really suck. :down:

Speaking of new service, I wonder how we will defend our turf against jetBlue on their latest announcement of boston-washington service and Delta adding flights. The shuttle is based on reliable service and high frequency. Hopefully we don't fall third. Dedicate some a/c to the shuttle like it had been done in the past.

Speaking of new service, I wonder how we will defend our turf against jetBlue on their latest announcement of boston-washington service and Delta adding flights. The shuttle is based on reliable service and high frequency. Hopefully we don't fall third. Dedicate some a/c to the shuttle like it had been done in the past.
doubtful as such a posture would require innovation from above...
innovation and talent, you know, like canvassing the hawaiin market with otherwise potentially lucrative aircraft to capture those low yields...

a post scriptum: this week dal announced an ambitious expansion in latin america and carribean; and cal is re-allocating a 76 from the "profitable" west coast-hawaii market to be placed, presumably, on a new or existing european route.
u announced a new name for an arena.

While I do agree that we needed to be "rightsized" (such a popular word now)and flights trimmed in certain markets, I do hope that this "New" management realizes that comeptition STILL exists. How about using the 757 to some of the busier markets and take them off of such flights as PHL BDL and PVD. I know they are busy pairs but when you have almost hourly svc competing with southwest, use what they use. Seems like we still have our heads halfway in the sand.

Seems like we still have our heads halfway in the sand.
"halfway" is generous.
rightsized is fine; i have no argument with that.
"rightsized", however, becomes an excuse for not being creative with assets. for example, cal is making important gains in the transatlantic market by utilizing their 757 assets. it has nothing to do with some explosive aircraft growth strategy; on the contrary, it is being comeptitive and innovative with the tools we already have.
unfortunately, this management's ambition and capacities are two terribly different things.

While I do agree that we needed to be "rightsized" (such a popular word now)and flights trimmed in certain markets, I do hope that this "New" management realizes that comeptition STILL exists. How about using the 757 to some of the busier markets and take them off of such flights as PHL BDL and PVD. I know they are busy pairs but when you have almost hourly svc competing with southwest, use what they use. Seems like we still have our heads halfway in the sand.

I was hoping Tempe would finally show us some marketing agression.

Same s***, different day.

Get off your a**, Dougie.

Ya know, it is just amazing what goes on at the NEW US Airways. Here you have United trying to climb it's A## out of the CH-11 hole, Northwest and Delta standing on one leg then you look at the NEW US and it's 2.some billion dollars, blah blah blah.... Delta with all their expansion plans whether some feel is the right move or not, Continental with their rapid expansion to Europe and United adding 2,000 flight attendants, there doing it. Throw in all the stuff Delta is doing with their uniforms and most carriers changing and updating service and ameneties. Have I missed something here? Now jetBlue has announced new svc in the shuttle cities and Delta adding frequency. I know integration is very important but the airline as a "whole" still needs to be run. Am I alone here in sensing that something is NOT right? I can't quite put my finger on it but it seems we're just really not being guided. I have the feeling that I had in the past when all was put on hold for the United bs a few years back. I'm not saying transaction crap but something weird is up.

I agree, Travelpro.

It's pretty scary to be just stagnating while all the other carriers, including bankrupt carriers, are working on expansion plans.

Now that we can stop using the abbreviated "CCY", it looks like we can begin using "CCYW", i.e. Crystal City West.

Sad, really.

What you consider expansion is really just redeploying assets into more lucrative markets. How many new airplanes are they getting at DL and NW? How many are they parking? We did the same thing in BK 1 and 2. How do you think we ended up with all the Caribbean service? We redeployed assets that used to fly domestically.

We also took delivery of the airbus narrowbody planes which has fueled the carribean expansion.

I'm not sure you all understand whats happening right now. If US Airways was to "grow" right now and then run into problems, Parker would be criticized for "growing too fast". All of these marketing ideas all sound great, but the big picture is much different than just dreaming up places to put 737's, 757s, etc. This merger is roughly 5 1/2 weeks old, I think the bleeding from the old US Airways has to be stopped before they jump into money sucking route restructures without enough knowledge, history and experience. Don't forget, there was a lot to fix with the old US Airways post bk and it's not an easy task. As for all of the other growth in the industry, Delta and United are in bankruptcy and in while bk, you have more flexibility with equipment, contracts, leases etc. Neither one of those carries now have proven that their latest moves will work...so hang in there and exercise some patience. There is no way you can compare anything that Jet Blue and Southwest airlines do...they are in different situations with eq, crews, mx, their cost will always be much lower than those of US Airways because they do not offer the amenties or equipement flexibility that US does (among other differences).

Do we have more or less airplanes then we did 4 years ago? 1 year ago? We parked almost 200 airplanes but managed to "expand" to the Caribbean. All we did was redeploy assets to the caribbean at the cost of stations like MDT, ABE, AVL, STL, etc.

Guess you forgot about all the flying US outsourced to anyone with an RJ that allowed the redeployment of mainlne a/c.

The fact remains US added a ton of RJs to the system to replace mainline flying.

The changes that have all occurred that you're talking about all occured under the Old Us Airways management...the ones you hated, the people you wanted out of there, the people you all thought couldn't run an airline...now you new people in charge and you want them to make some of the same moves, or blame them for the RJ's, etc. Give it some time guys...remember..5 1/2 weeks into this.....When you bought your first house, did you have it exactly as you wanted it 5 weeks later? Doubtful.

So you honestly feel that US has expanded over the last 4 years? Closing nearly all of the stations in the mid-west (GRR, EVV, FWA, TOL, SBN, CMI, etc), pulling most all of our point-to-point flying, reducing transcon and Florida flying, downgrading a major hub to a "focus city" and nearly closing a focus city before it really got started (FLL). That is expansion to you?

Where do you see an increase in ASM's? An increase in daily departures? We moved the assets to where we felt they would improve revenue and reduce costs. DL and NW are doing exactly the same thing. Taking the 767's out of Florida and expanding their Trans Atlantic service. They are not getting new 767's & 777's to fly these routes.

Back