Nov 11, 2003
NC
Article

$2 billion upgrade for Sky Harbor
Terminal 2 to be replaced; 33 new gates planned

Ginger D. Richardson
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 13, 2006 12:00 AM

Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport has received federal approval to move forward with a $2 billion-plus expansion that will include the construction of a 33-gate terminal.

The new building, called the West Terminal, could be finished by 2012 and will necessitate the demolition of aging Terminal 2.

I am gonna miss T2, so many memories as a kid going there and seeing Hughes Air West and TWA and Air Cal. I love the old school feeling of it.

I am gonna miss T2, so many memories as a kid going there and seeing Hughes Air West and TWA and Air Cal. I love the old school feeling of it.

I'm not going to miss it. I volunteer to swing that ball myself. :D
While we are at it can PHX build a low cost terminal, quonset huts, for WN so they can leave T4 and make room for US.

I'm not going to miss it. I volunteer to swing that ball myself. :D
While we are at it can PHX build a low cost terminal, quonset huts, for WN so they can leave T4 and make room for US.
No way!!! Let WN have T-4...I say we take over the new terminal...some of the city employees have said it's supposedly now going to house international gates, which we desperately need. (Especially on Saturdays when we have planes sitting for 30 minutes or so waiting for gate space. ACK!) Either that or the airport officals need to spend some dough on the intl concourse at T-4 to expand the gates for intl arrivals. (Six gates are NOT enough.)

No way!!! Let WN have T-4...I say we take over the new terminal...some of the city employees have said it's supposedly now going to house international gates, which we desperately need. (Especially on Saturdays when we have planes sitting for 30 minutes or so waiting for gate space. ACK!) Either that or the airport officals need to spend some dough on the intl concourse at T-4 to expand the gates for intl arrivals. (Six gates are NOT enough.)

If it is true it would be a waste of money. Two immmigration facilities and customs checkpoints. The only international carriers in T4 other than US are British Airways, Aeromexico, and Westjet. Although it would free up gate space for US. :)

The new west terminal will be built with a capacity for 38 gates. Right now US uses 48 gates. So we are staying in T4.

The question now becomes who will get the last councourse not yet built on the southside of T4. WN seems to be preoccupied with all of its new stations (IAD,DEN,PHL,PIT) :closedeyes:

We need to make sure that the future councourse has the flag logo and not the clown colors.

Even PHX airport is hinting that it will probably go to US. Growing in the Sun

If it is true it would be a waste of money. Two immmigration facilities and customs checkpoints. The only international carriers in T4 other than US are British Airways, Aeromexico, and Westjet. Although it would free up gate space for US. :)

The new west terminal will be built with a capacity for 38 gates. Right now US uses 48 gates. So we are staying in T4.

The question now becomes who will get the last councourse not yet built on the southside of T4. WN seems to be preoccupied with all of its new stations (IAD,DEN,PHL,PIT) :closedeyes:

We need to make sure that the future councourse has the flag logo and not the clown colors.

Even PHX airport is hinting that it will probably go to US. Growing in the Sun

The "S1" finger (the most western of the south concourses) of T4 is in the "pre" construction stages (facilities, ramp planning, taxi-way planning, etc.). It will be for US Airways use. Figure it to open about spring 2008. My guess is all or most of mesa/express moves there and along all of the west side of N1, opening up more of N4 for international...

Last I heard, the big obstacle is transferring baggage at the west end between north and south? But it can't be that difficult. WN used to do it on the east end... Any one more intimately familiar with the lay of the land?

I just went through the environmental impact statement for the new west terminal and it will include international gates.

So I guess it will just be US and WN/ATA in terminal 4.

While not a brand new terminal the shops they have put in recently are great. I was hoping for a Chili's but sadly something must have happened since they were on a list of new tenants initially but now it is not there. :(

The BA club would sure be a great Envoy Lounge. B)

My bad it was some other restaurant that for some odd reason I can't remember. Either way the area will be great when all the construction is done.

Flo's...it still has a sign saying "Opening Soon" but alas, it seems it will never be. They should have gotten Pei Wei to come in here! :D

Flo's is damned good! The dressing they use on their salad is amazing.

I had lunch next door to Flo's today (I was slumming)

The "S1" finger (the most western of the south concourses) of T4 is in the "pre" construction stages (facilities, ramp planning, taxi-way planning, etc.). It will be for US Airways use. Figure it to open about spring 2008. My guess is all or most of mesa/express moves there and along all of the west side of N1, opening up more of N4 for international...

Last I heard, the big obstacle is transferring baggage at the west end between north and south? But it can't be that difficult. WN used to do it on the east end... Any one more intimately familiar with the lay of the land?

I say move UA and AC anywhere at T4.

To get to an "S1" concourse, bag runners would either go underground and out the other side through WN turf or use the new road along the recently reconstructed taxiway. Either will be a pain but it can be done.

• Banned
Press Release Source: Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport

Sky Harbor Receives Federal Approval of Airport Enhancement Program
Friday April 14, 1:52 pm ET

PHOENIX, April 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport will be making changes for the better. As the Phoenix area grows, so does demand for high quality customer service at the Airport. On April 14, Phoenix Sky Harbor received Federal approval to proceed with an airport enhancement program to help keep pace with this demand. Ultimately all projects will need to be approved by the Phoenix City Council.

Press Release

Back