US Airways Employee Killed at Sky Harbor Airport

SparrowHawk

Veteran
Nov 30, 2009
This just and I mean just laned over on Facebook. Anyone know anything more?
US Airways Employee Killed at Sky Harbor Airport

Updated: Friday, 17 Feb 2012, 6:13 PM MST
Published : Friday, 17 Feb 2012, 5:05 PM MST

PHOENIX - FOX 10 has learned that a US Airways baggage handler was killed on the job Friday at Sky Harbor Airport.

The employee worked in the baggage area at Terminal 4 and got caught up in the baggage handling system Friday afternoon.

According to Phoenix Police, 60-year-old Robert Demarco became lodged between the upper and lower conveyor belts of the sorting system and was later pronounced dead.

There are no indications of foul play, and the medical examiner will determine Demarco's cause of death.

"This appears to be a tragic accident and Phoenix Police detectives will be working hard to determine exactly how and why this incident occurred," stated Officer James Holmes.

MORE

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_PHOENIX_AIRPORT_DEATH?SITE=CAGRA&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
RIP

So which is it a ramper or maintenance?

Looks like it was maintenance and not ramp.

PHOENIX - FOX 10 has learned that a US Airways baggage handler was killed on the job Friday at Sky Harbor Airport.

The employee worked in the baggage area at Terminal 4 and got caught up in the baggage handling system Friday afternoon.

According to Phoenix Police, 60-year-old Robert Demarco became lodged between the upper and lower conveyor belts of the sorting system and was later pronounced dead.

There are no indications of foul play, and the medical examiner will determine Demarco's cause of death.

"This appears to be a tragic accident and Phoenix Police detectives will be working hard to determine exactly how and why this incident occurred," stated Officer James Holmes.

According to an US Airways spokesperson, Demarco was a maintenance employee with sevearl years of service with the company. He was working on the baggage system when the accident occurred.

US Airways is providing assistance to the victim's family, friends, and coworkers.

So which is it a ramper or maintenance?

Looks like it was maintenance and not ramp.

If you know the answer to that question will he be any less dead?

Go with God, Mr Demarco.

Before chapter 11 part II, GSE or Plant mechanics would maintain it.

He is a belt maintenance employee which in PHX is a IAM member in the maintenance dept. DL142.

My thoughts & prayers on this one. Maybe Jester will be along.

Of course, even though I do not recall the individual personally, the very event of being one of us, and at the same facility we work at hits close to home should cause everyone to sympathize with the victim and the family.

FSA was trained on LOTO (LockOut, TagOut) not that long ago... maybe someone did not follow procedures because I find it difficult to believe one would place themselves in-between two moving conveyors.

So Empathizes Jester.

Of course, even though I do not recall the individual personally, the very event of being one of us, and at the same facility we work at hits close to home should cause everyone to sympathize with the victim and the family.

FSA was trained on LOTO (LockOut, TagOut) not that long ago... maybe someone did not follow procedures because I find it difficult to believe one would place themselves in-between two moving conveyors.

So Empathizes Jester.

Jester,
As a customer I had the opportunity to go "Behind the Curtain" onto the ramp in PHL and we're walking down to the break room at the end of B Concourse and I remember saying to myself "This place is dangerous" as I watched the ballet that is unloading a plane take place. New found respect? By the ton!!

As to the accident, if I may? When I started out I was a printing craftsman, ran presses and a whole lot more. It could be dangerous work as most everyone who had worked in the industry for any length of time had lost all or part of at least one finger. I happen to be very proud that I can count to ten with my shoes on. Not many can. Told you that to tell you this. In my world accidents usually happened to people who knew better and I'm wondering if that's the case here? Did a highly experienced ramper try a short cut only to lose his life.

Did a highly experienced ramper try a short cut only to lose his life.
This was not a ramp agent, he was a belt mechanic. They keep US's baggage circulatory system in PHX up and running and have always done a very good job of it; the amount of conveyor and catwalking in, under, and through Terminal 4 is mind-boggling.

Passing of PHX Employee Robert Demarco: An Important Message from
SVP, Technical Operations, David Seymour
Feb. 17, 2012
It is with deep sadness that we tell you of the passing of ground maintenance colleague Robert
Demarco. Robert was working in PHX at the TSA bag inspection area of Terminal 4 just after
noon Friday when he was fatally injured. Members of the US Airways leadership team, IAM
District 142 leadership, Corporate Safety, OSHA and local law enforcement responded.
Employee Assistance Program team members have also responded and are providing support
for everyone who needs assistance.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to Robert's family, his friends, and everyone on the US Airways
team who knew him. We are fully cooperating with the accident investigation, and will continue to
offer help to Robert’s family in this very difficult time.
David Seymour
SVP, Technical Operations
https://wings.usairways.com/uswings/news/usnews_now/021712_usnn_Robert_DeMarco.pdf

Latest posts

Back