Non-rev Travel

UWCactus

Veteran
Oct 12, 2005
Tempe HQ
Visit site
For those legacy US Airways employees...if you wanted to non-rev to Europe, typically which city give the best chances of getting on? CLT or PHL? Are there some markets that ALWAYS seem to have available seats? What time of the year do you recommend trying to travel and to where? Any great deals that you're aware of in the Caribbean? Easy place to non-rev?

Mention any city we should definitely stay away from that you know of. For HP people, we all know that don't ever try to go to LasVegas on a Thursday or Friday from Phoenix, it probably won't happen. Don't every return from LAS on a Sunday...it's a mess all the way around. Hawaii looks good in December, but check those loads after that. Mexico is also very very difficult in the winter months from PHX, summer is just too hot down there. HP employees can currently check actual PBT's on the company website and I hear thats coming to US Airways...if you don't already have it.....it's the best thing since sliced bread!

Looking forward to sharing of information.

I have to mention,
while checking loads to see if I can fly to work this week, rather than drive, I noticed an SA3C (USeast) listed TUSPHX.
I thought to myself, poor thing bless their heart, they will be stuck for a while.
FYI, TUS is all RJs and they are usually full. If they are not full 2days out when you check your loads, they will be overbooked by the day of departure.
Keep in mind, Mesa employees have priority over HP employees, who have priority over USeast.
Avoid TUS, or at least get backup passes on WN. They are now the dominant carrier in TUS. We handed them the market on a silver platter.

Does anyone know what the loads are like to Key West?
Is that a tough city or can it be done off peak days/seasons?

I have to mention,
while checking loads to see if I can fly to work this week, rather than drive, I noticed an SA3C (USeast) listed TUSPHX.
I thought to myself, poor thing bless their heart, they will be stuck for a while.
FYI, TUS is all RJs and they are usually full. If they are not full 2days out when you check your loads, they will be overbooked by the day of departure.
Keep in mind, Mesa employees have priority over HP employees, who have priority over USeast.
Avoid TUS, or at least get backup passes on WN. They are now the dominant carrier in TUS. We handed them the market on a silver platter.

Does anyone know what the loads are like to Key West?
Is that a tough city or can it be done off peak days/seasons?
I have no idea what the load factor is to Key West, but I can tell you they only run commuter service down there, so there arent many seats available. It is only about a 2 hr drive from MIA. Personally, I would drive from MIA.

Yes, its a beautiful drive, I've done it twice, but it would be cheaper to fly as opposed to renting a car ;)

When the EYW route was flown using prop a/c they were weight restricted a lot of the time. Does anyone know if the CRJ's are as weight restricted? The E70 will be flown to EYW in November which should take care of any weight restriction issue.

The E70 will be flown to EYW in November which should take care of any weight restriction issue.
Well, that's good news!
But this could be a seasonal change, and because I nonrev on a shoestring budget, I always go off season.
Apparently the wealthy taking over Key West have got the airport restrictions lifted there. Wasn't jet traffic restricted there?

Key West upgrades in Nov from 50 seat CRJ's to 72 seat E-170's, that should help as I also have heard the CRJ's are sometimes weight restricted do to the 4800 foot runway at EYW.

Europe is not hard in the winter usally, it is cold then, days are very short, gets dark around 4 or 5 in the afternoon, but flights are often open, and getting airline rates at many hotels is also easy (very hard in summer). If you have any interest at all in sampling the service on US to Europe the A-330 is miles and miles ahead of the 767.

Desertgal thanks for the TUS tip, I was thinking of trying that route, thanks again.

LGA777

October and November are beautiful months in Europe. If you are interested in Germany, Weisbaden is a wonderful city. The food and shopping are first-rate. If you have extra time, take the train to Rudesheim (sp?) and take the gondola through the vinyard and/or take a cruise on the river. The scenery is spectacular. Also, starting the first weekend after our Thanksgiving lasting until Christmas Eve the Germans have a Christmas mart in their towns. Plenty of Christmas gifts, food, wine and music. Most of the crews will tell you that no one throws a party like the Germans. Enjoy.

For me, London is fabulous in December around Xmas time. Nothing like shopping in Knightsbridge(Harrods,Harvey Nichols),or walking down Oxford Street when the arches are lit above the street.
When on Oxford Street ,dont forget to stop in Selfridges(IMO, the best department store in London) as well as visiting the flagship Marks and Spencers store in Marble Arch.

Key West is doable, have done it a couple of times. Just check the loads as normal. It ranges from full to not so full... The 50 seater is weight restricted at times, when wx is moving through but other than that we can usually get a full plane out of there. the 3 times I've done it, airplane had 20-35 people on it. The few times I've flown it, first copule of times flights were full, last time, beginning of this month we had 30-50 people loads. the 170 should make it easier....

The drive from MIA to EYW took nearly 3.5 hrs due to construction. It is a mostly two-lane roads, so if there is an accident on the way down or back, you're going to be waiting a bit. Not to mention the couple of draw-bridges. The times I flew down to EYW or out of EYW were not so bad on the RJ. However, in the tiny terminal, USXpress does have signs on the walls asking for "volunteers" due to weather. I still got on. I think they have it posted all the time during summer.

Have not made it to Europe yet. Waiting on my wife to get her passport re-newed. Argh! Been waiting on her for months to do it. Where in Europe would be a nice place to go to for first-timers? Rome, Venice, Frankfurt, Munich, Paris or Amsterdam?

Anyone heard anymore details on phase II flying???

The Caribbean is great in the summer if you do your homework and watch the weather before going. You can get a super deal on hotels and resorts.

I try to get down to the islands at least 2-3 times a year. Never had a problem as a non-rev and many times been able to upgrade. I usually check loads and then pick the island. Over spring break this year we (family of 4) went to MBJ and had a great time. That time it was harder to find a resort with availability than a seat on a plane.

I've already done my 3 trips this year, but hoping to squeeze one more in. :D

Dont even think about MUC during Oktoberfest! During this time alot of overflow goes into the 3 FRA flights we operate. They are juts as bad.

Latest posts