Northwest Out Sourcing

CSAR,

I have my hub cap duct taped to my head and the reception is just fine, thanks for asking. And it looked real nice with my ninja robe for New Years Eve, too.
:lol:

But seriously, this country is in for a world of hurt as the middle class disappears. NAFTA hasn't been much of a problem as it's just too much trouble and expense to provide sanitation for the workers. That's why all the work is going to China.

Check it out. Look at the labels on nearly everything you own. Nothing is made in the USA anymore.

The Walton family is wildly rich while their employees are paid so little they qualify for Federal and State benefits!
How is this right? Your tax dollars, my friend, are going to the working poor!

Executive compensation is out of control while the companies they "manage" veer into bankruptcy. More than half the country believes our politicians are corrupt!

While I certainly appreciate the military and the service they provide us, I fear your earned benefits are going to be a victim of a government out of control. Our trade agreements are accruing debt our grandchildren will never be able to pay off!

And no, sadly Elvis hasn't called me lately. I think he must be on the road again.

Dea
OH MY GAWD THATS SOME FUNNY STUFF!!!I also agree completely!

I don't know what NWA agreed to give the replacement workers, but I will bet the farm all NWA employees are looking at losing their pensions, huge paycuts and a major cut in benefits. Much like the ones I took. It's already known NWA plans to use foreign nationals inflight on all international sectors. How many good, US flight attendants will lose their jobs in this scheme?

There is an economic holocaust just beginning in this country. NWA has just the scene for other airlines and other companies to follow suit.

We all need to write our senators and congress people about this outrageous destruction to our economy. I believe Lou Dobbs had a letter on his website one could copy and send. Directed at NWA, I might add.

I understand that replacement workers need to eat and care for their families. But, by becoming a tool for a corrupt management team, you hasten the spiral downward. I tell you, you will be out the door next.

Your skill set will become less an asset and more of a liability to the company when they tote up the expense. NWA is not an honorable company. I firmly believe they will do anything to increase golden parachutes and iron-clad pensions for themselves. If that means importing foreign labor, they will. Or off-shoring or out-sourcing.

Still haven't heard from Elvis.

Dea

I don't know what NWA agreed to give the replacement workers, but I will bet the farm all NWA employees are looking at losing their pensions, huge paycuts and a major cut in benefits. Much like the ones I took. It's already known NWA plans to use foreign nationals inflight on all international sectors. How many good, US flight attendants will lose their jobs in this scheme?

There is an economic holocaust just beginning in this country. NWA has just the scene for other airlines and other companies to follow suit.

We all need to write our senators and congress people about this outrageous destruction to our economy. I believe Lou Dobbs had a letter on his website one could copy and send. Directed at NWA, I might add.

I understand that replacement workers need to eat and care for their families. But, by becoming a tool for a corrupt management team, you hasten the spiral downward. I tell you, you will be out the door next.

Your skill set will become less an asset and more of a liability to the company when they tote up the expense. NWA is not an honorable company. I firmly believe they will do anything to increase golden parachutes and iron-clad pensions for themselves. If that means importing foreign labor, they will. Or off-shoring or out-sourcing.

Dea
Dea, I agree with you to a point. I find your posts to be insightful and well thought out. Granted, our presence here cost the company alot of money, however the cost of lost flights would have been tripple and would most likely have caused the company to fold, then everyone would be out of a job thanks to the wonderful leaders of AMFA. NWA may not be honorable in your opinion (which I will respect) but just as a thought, what company is? The biggest problem with NWA as I see it is Steenland, not because of what he has done or what he plans to do, but because he lacks the heart of an Aviator. He is a bussinesman. And while the road ahead may be uncertain, while it may pain us to see good people go, we cannot change what is. But by working together we may be able to help shape what will be.

P.S. If you do see Elvis, tell him I said "Thank you, thank you very much".

Dea
The terms provided to the contractors were some of the best currently in the US. To be fair to NWA, they not only have kept thier end of the agreements with us, but on several occassions went far above and beyond the original contract. Now, I am enough of a realist to know that this can, and may, change in a heartbeat. In all honesty, the vast majority of us never realy thought this would last as long as it did. I freely admit to be in error when I told many people that this would all end within weeks, one way or another.
I feel I must also clarify something else as well. I am not here to support NWA management. Personally, I would like to see a true aviator, with jetA running in his viens, to be at the helm. My sole reason for staying on with NWA is to try and salvage a once proud airline. Bad decisions and policies were set by both labor and management. We all are paying the price for those decisions. All I can do is give 110 percent at my level, and allow zero tolerance for for poor work ethic, or poor work quality. Despite the labels branded here about the replacement workers, the MAJORITY of us are indeed professionals with considerable background experience.
In conclusion, despite our different opinions on labor, I find your posts to be a breath of fresh air. You are polite, humerous, and inciteful. Thank you for restoring a litle bit of hope for humanity in this old jarhead.

PS I thought I saw Elvis working down at the Mall of America...I'll keep ya posted

Salvage a once proud airline by being a scab? Not working for management by being a scab? Calling yourselves professionals by being scabs? Working together by being a scab?

You scabs are nothing but leeches,thieves,and liars. The only thing your professional about is destroying the aircraft maintenance profession. Destroying the wages and benefits of not just AMT's, but workers in all industries. Jeopardizing people's lives by "pencil whipping" maintenance and performing substandard repairs. The scabs did it at Eastern, so don't give us this B.S. that you're not doing that at N.W.A. Helping the corporate crooks at N.W.A. is an act of treason on the REAL professional AMT's of America.

Salvage a once proud airline by being a scab? Not working for management by being a scab? Calling yourselves professionals by being scabs? Working together by being a scab?

You scabs are nothing but leeches,thieves,and liars. The only thing your professional about is destroying the aircraft maintenance profession. Destroying the wages and benefits of not just AMT's, but workers in all industries. Jeopardizing people's lives by "pencil whipping" maintenance and performing substandard repairs. The scabs did it at Eastern, so don't give us this B.S. that you're not doing that at N.W.A. Helping the corporate crooks at N.W.A. is an act of treason on the REAL professional AMT's of America.
I have said it before, and I'll say it again..if you can provide definate proof of said pencil whipping, I shall gladly stomp said individuals into a slimy puddle. I have never tolerated shoddy workmanship, just as I despise poor work ethics.
however, if you cannot provide proof of these charges, than, based on your hate filled vitriol, it must be assumed that you are nothing more than a bitter old woman, consumed by hate and completely dillusional. If I am incorrect in this, all I ask is proof, and I shall surely apologize.

Guys,

Listen to me. NWA has always had a horrible relationship with its labor groups going way, way back. Did you know NWA used to be nick-named "Cobra Airlines" because they were always provoked to strike? True story.

Now, I'll admit my memory is a little shaky but I do recall that back in the days of CAB, the airlines had sort of a "mutual aid" money pool to help carriers out during labor disputes. NWA used this fund so often, it was disbanded! I'm sure there's some old timers here who can help me out with the details.

NWA has a sordid past but due to the exceptional employees, it managed to survive.

I hope someone might have a link or know of a resource to back my information up.

I've only flown on NWA few times and that was a long time ago, but I do remember being treated very well by the employees.

Dea

Guys,
Listen to me. NWA has always had a horrible relationship with its labor groups going way, way back. Did you know NWA used to be nick-named "Cobra Airlines" because they were always provoked to strike? True story.

:lol: I don't think we have any reason to doubt what you say Dea. I must ask though, did NWA have issues with its employees or the unions?

I must say that NWA has treated us very well and continues to do so. There were some rogue managers that made some of the guys employment here hell and either fired them or simply ran them off. NWA was slow to either fire the managers or transfer them somewhere else. Such issues should have been predicted and NWA should have been quicker to respond, they lost some good mechanics because of this.

I must wonder how much of this bad karma between NWA and its employees was generated by the unions. It is more than obvious that unionist will support their unions long before they will support the company they work for.

PTO,

Like you, most people don't want to pay dues. Believe me, no company gets a union that doesn't earn one. It's incredibly hard to organize a work group.

As you've seen from the few rouge managers, there is unfairness in the workplace. Good, honest people get fired or harassed out of a job by a supervisor on a power trip. Rotten, lazy people stay employed because they are beer buddies or suck-ups to a manager or supervisor. You've been around the block, you know this happens.

I would rather see less adversarial approach to management-labor relations. The animosity is counter-productive in my opinion.

It's a sad fact that many times people who have no business in a position of power get promoted. Sometimes, it's just to get them out of the way. So then they are free to set a little fifedom and make everyone around them miserable. Sometimes, inept, incompetent people are promoted because again, they are buddies with a higher up.

Unions are far from perfect, but they do at least provide some fairness on the floor.

Unions are responsible in a large way for the middle class we've come to enjoy. Also, for safety on the job.

There's a really good book called "Who Built America" you might want to read. It's in two volumes and I know you'll like it. For some balance, there's another novel by John Steinbeck (my homeboy) called "In Dubious Battle."

Check them out.

Dea

of course pto that the NWA will treat you good for now, but it will not last. you can count on it. this battle is just the beginning

PTO,

Like you, most people don't want to pay dues. Believe me, no company gets a union that doesn't earn one. It's incredibly hard to organize a work group.

As you've seen from the few rouge managers, there is unfairness in the workplace. Good, honest people get fired or harassed out of a job by a supervisor on a power trip. Rotten, lazy people stay employed because they are beer buddies or suck-ups to a manager or supervisor. You've been around the block, you know this happens.

I would rather see less adversarial approach to management-labor relations. The animosity is counter-productive in my opinion.

It's a sad fact that many times people who have no business in a position of power get promoted. Sometimes, it's just to get them out of the way. So then they are free to set a little fifedom and make everyone around them miserable. Sometimes, inept, incompetent people are promoted because again, they are buddies with a higher up.

Unions are far from perfect, but they do at least provide some fairness on the floor.

Unions are responsible in a large way for the middle class we've come to enjoy. Also, for safety on the job.

There's a really good book called "Who Built America" you might want to read. It's in two volumes and I know you'll like it. For some balance, there's another novel by John Steinbeck (my homeboy) called "In Dubious Battle."

Check them out.

Dea
I couldnt have written it any better myself! Very well put!

I couldnt have written it any better myself! Very well put!
Once again, "DEAlightful" gets my vote for 'Poster of the Day". As always, she gets to the point, uses common sense and logic, and doesnt feel the need to be offensive to make a point! WE ALL could take a few lessons from her! (By the way, "Travels With Charlie" is my favorite Stienbeck book, although "The Grapes of Wrath" was pretty gut wrenchingingly good)

I must wonder how much of this bad karma between NWA and its employees was generated by the unions.

When you consider that NWA existed before their employees were union, I think you'll have your answer.

It is more than obvious that unionist will support their unions long before they will support the company they work for.

The vast majority of the people at NWA, including myself, did not belong to a union prior to their employment at NWA.

Back