NW Pilots Try To Keep Merger Alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

chucky

Senior
Sep 13, 2006
Northwest pilots try to keep Delta merger deal alive

By LIZ FEDOR, Star Tribune

In a memo to Northwest pilots, union officers expressed support for "expedited arbitration" as a way to resolve their seniority integration conflict with Delta pilots.

Meanwhile, Delta's management pressed ahead Tuesday with an aggressive plan to combat high oil prices, including cutting 2,000 jobs, or 3.6 percent of its workforce, and slashing Delta's domestic flight capacity by 10 percent later this year.

"With fuel expected to remain at approximately $100 per barrel for the foreseeable future, we must take action to keep Delta strong," Delta CEO Richard Anderson and Delta President Ed Bastian told the airline's 55,044 employees in a memo.

Separately, Dave Davis, Northwest's chief financial officer, said at a New York investor conference Tuesday that the run-up in fuel prices could push Northwest's 2008 fuel bill to $5.2 billion, about $800 million more than it had projected.

"We have a thorough review underway of our capacity right now, with a particularly hard look at domestic" flying, Davis said. In January, Northwest indicated that it would shrink domestic capacity by 5.5 to 6.5 percent this year. But Northwest CEO Doug Steenland said Sunday that, after the big jump in oil prices, "We have to rethink the size of the airline we operate."

Davis didn't announce any capacity reductions or employee layoffs on Tuesday, and he didn't say when Northwest will make alterations to its 2008 business plan.

Davis and Bastian, who made presentations to Wall Street analysts, declined to answer specific questions about the fate of a potential Delta-Northwest merger.

"With the cost of fuel where it is, we think that the case for industry consolidation remains strong and is in fact stronger than ever," Davis said.

For his part, Bastian said, "We are proponents of consolidation, but it does have to be the right deal."

The two airline executives spoke a day after Lee Moak, Delta pilots union chairman, unequivocally stated in a memo to Delta pilots that the two pilot groups were unable to reach a deal on a combined seniority list.

"We will not seek a transaction for a transaction's sake," Moak said in his memo, in which he explained that he terminated discussions with the Northwest pilots group over the weekend.

Moak described how the two pilot groups convened this month in Washington, D.C., in hopes of a breakthrough. "It became clear that the position of the other pilot group had not meaningfully changed, and therefore the on-again, off-again integration talks were suspended without substantial movement toward a middle ground agreement," Moak wrote. He added that he had informed Delta's top management that the two pilot groups were unable to reach an agreement on blending their seniority lists.

Seniority pact or no merger

Industry insiders, including New York-based consultant Robert Mann, said Tuesday that it's unlikely that Delta's Anderson and his board of directors would proceed with a merger without a seniority list and the support of the Delta pilots.

Jerry Glass, an aviation consultant and former US Airways executive, said Anderson clearly stated that he would only do a merger deal if the transaction met certain principles, including protecting the seniority of Delta employees. "You have to assume they'll adhere to those principles," Glass said.

Dave Stevens, chairman of the Northwest pilots union, and his officers expressed unease with Delta's proposed merger business plan, which they viewed as risky. In their memo, they wrote: "Do we base a seniority list which will affect Northwest pilots for the next 30 years on an aggressive business plan and aircraft options over the next few years which may never be implemented?"

But the Northwest pilot leaders also hinted that they aren't ready to abandon a merger with Delta.

Story

NW Pilots Want Merger With Delta

Lets not go pop those champaigne corks just yet huh NHBB? :eek:

Only reason NW pilots still want to merge is to have their cake and eat it too!

A 30% pay increase is not enough for them, thats what it would take to get them to DL pilot levels , but they insist that over 2000 DL pilots lose their seniority to them !

I don't see that happening ! :down:

Only reason NW pilots still want to merge is to have their cake and eat it too!

A 30% pay increase is not enough for them, thats what it would take to get them to DL pilot levels , but they insist that over 2000 DL pilots lose their seniority to them !

I don't see that happening ! :down:
Seeing how the ALPA took a 40% cut to get NWA in financial shape in the first place, 30% is a slap in the face. As for DL and their loss of seriority, fair is fair. Seniority is all we have and to give it up to someone who hasn't earned it will never make sense. Sounds to me like the pilots at NW negotiated hard and the boys at DL wanted special kid glove treatment. Now who really wanted their cake and eat it too!

NWA Pilots are lucky to have a job.

Save the 'rhetoric' for important issues.

Seeing how the ALPA took a 40% cut to get NWA in financial shape in the first place, 30% is a slap in the face. As for DL and their loss of seriority, fair is fair. Seniority is all we have and to give it up to someone who hasn't earned it will never make sense. Sounds to me like the pilots at NW negotiated hard and the boys at DL wanted special kid glove treatment. Now who really wanted their cake and eat it too!

So, let me get this straight. A 30% pay increase for NW pilots from Delta is a slap in the face?? Delta had NOTHING to do with NW pilots taking a 40% cut.
This thing is OVER...and just as well. NW/DL are two very different cultures. I'm not saying there aren't good and bad about both, but they are just way too different for a successful integration.
On a personal note, I'm sick of hearing about the whole thing. I have passengers ask me about it and want to chat about it. Today I told them it's doubtful. I can't wait to tell them it is officially OVER.
Let's move on....................................................................

chucky,

SO SORRY chucky.

NO 747/400's painted in the WORLD RENOUNED :unsure: DL colors !

NO destinations like BKK/SIN/GUM/HKG/CAN !
(Better for them to stick with destinations more familiar to DELTA, like RDU/GSO/CLT/BGM/FLL)(I understand "Big D" is operating a 767-300 from RDU to ATL) Impressive !!!!!!!!

But HEY, I understand US Airways is STILL looking for a dance Partner !!!

chucky,

SO SORRY chucky.

(Better for them to stick with destinations more familiar to DELTA, like RDU/GSO/CLT/BGM/FLL)(I understand "Big D" is operating a 767-300 from RDU to ATL) Impressive !!!!!!!!

Why don't you tell us all what the DL pilot have to gain in all of this???

This thing is OVER...and just as well. NW/DL are two very different cultures. I'm not saying there aren't good and bad about both, but they are just way too different for a successful integration.

YES!

The culture clash between the 2 carriers would have destroyed any synergies gained with a quickness.

On a personal note, I'm sick of hearing about the whole thing.

I'm guessing there's about 80,000 of us in that same boat. :lol:

chucky,
SO SORRY chucky.

That's ok. The 777LR's we'll be receiving will look even better in the widget colors ;)

Not yet, but as Bastian noted, our international expansion will continue. With these spanking brand new 777LR's look for the widget at an asian destination near you ;)

[That 767-300 will more likely be retrofitted to fly some cool international route soon!! :up:

Yeah, I predict it'll be AMR :eek:

So, let me get this straight. A 30% pay increase for NW pilots from Delta is a slap in the face?? Delta had NOTHING to do with NW pilots taking a 40% cut.
On a personal note, I'm sick of hearing about the whole thing. I have passengers ask me about it and want to chat about it. Today I told them it's doubtful. I can't wait to tell them it is officially OVER.
Let's move on....................................................................
First off the, NW pilots were not getting any thing from DL. This was to be a merger not an acquisiton and DL is not calling the shots on the NW side of this. 30% pay raise doesn't get NW even close to the pay rate before BK so you cant exactly call it a raise. Second, you are right about the cultures. DL and NW would never make it together. Even now some at NW still have bitter feelings over the "Ducks" and all that they brought to the table.

I would only say that perhaps had Delta pilots not been paid so well in BK (then and now), Delta's balance sheet would be a lot better, thereby placing the airline in a far safer position financially, and not requiring thousands of layoffs.

NW brought to the merger the BEST balance sheet worth BILLIONS, which is superior in value to anything Delta laid on the table. This was earned on the backs of NW employees. Delta's Mkt. Cap is not much better's than NW's yet it is almost twice our size with considerably more debt.

I have heard nothing that proves this would have benefited NW employees (except take OUR paycuts to raise the pay of pilots, and pay off some of Delta's huge debt). It would have done wonders for the safety of the "new" Delta's future financially.

The present Delta could not afford to pay any employee new additional pay raises (hence layoffs). The money for new pilot raises was most definitely coming from NW's bank book, at the expense of the other NW employees. So, Delta pilots need to just quit the "we were raising them up to our pay standards" Delta wasn't doing anything...it was OUR money.

I just think it is ridiculous for anyone to think that if they were hired in 1995, they should go ahead of some one hired in 1990-1985 (ala the other shoe Delta/Pan Am), especially since their company is in far worse shape financially than NW.

Both companies are better off going their separate ways.

DAL would have a better balance sheet if they didn't sponsor the "Gay Pride" parade.
You sure are one racist person....

So who did you vote for
1) the really old white guy?
2) the black guy?
3) the old lady?

You seem to dislike all of the above, so I am curious.

Or are you too young to vote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts